Shopping Discussion

Maybe not gouging, but pretty shady on PrimeCables?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 3:21 am
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes

Maybe not gouging, but pretty shady on PrimeCables?

Like many I’ve been shopping with them for a while now. Recently I have spent quite a bit on there getting assorted slim cables, switches, a desk etc. One thing that has been consistent is that barring sales their prices has been consistent and fair.

Two days ago I notice they have a banner saying they are having trouble keeping up with demand as orders are flooding in (you’re making money in a crises, eh...?).

I wake up yesterday to finalize my cart I had been compiling for a few days. I figured I’d spend extra time, buy a little extra and save the postal worker any needless work at this time. To my surprise 7/7 of the items in my cart have been raised 15-20% each in price. These items include micro Ethernet, regular ethernet slim HDMI, belkin surge protector, cable ties, cable tie mount and Ethernet switch. Items I have bought multiple times before at a consistent rate and now all of a sudden, change?

Every single item was increased by 15-20% in price. IMO this is shady, whatever model they were using was working just fine and now when they are probably getting hit with business they opt to put a 15-20% premium on the whole website. The big guys at the top used this opportunity to put an extra 15-20% on their products in a crisis when people are transitioning to work from home. If the change was done at a time that we weren’t in a pandemic, I’d look the other way, but the timing lacks class.

I’m just gonna order from monoprice and clear the package myself from now on.
Last edited by StaySafe on Mar 25th, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes
Dang it I wrote it again because I had a email saying not approved with no reasoning and now I see it’s on the front page.

Requesting deletion. Stay safe!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1743 posts
804 upvotes
London
looked up a network cable i bought from them in feb back then the standard no sale price of it was 14.99 now its 17.24
Feb 4, 2011
256 posts
127 upvotes
StaySafe wrote: I’m just gonna order from monoprice and clear the package myself from now on.
You should definitely do it. They will not miss you.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: looked up a network cable i bought from them in feb back then the standard no sale price of it was 14.99 now its 17.24

Yup I’m pretty sure the whole site is up 15-20%.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes
dealz4all wrote: You should definitely do it. They will not miss you.
Not sure what your problem is but it’s not a very good look when the previous model was clearly always working.

If it wasn’t a pandemic, I’m not worried, but it’s questionable to say the least. If you don’t think so that is fine.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25631 posts
5921 upvotes
This is not unique to this retailer. Them's the breaks. Get used to it until corona madness subsides. Even then, recession ain't gonna help you out if you lose job, get cut pay/hours, etc.
Sep 4, 2006
559 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa
Dip in the CDN dollar would be one possible explanation.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes
jayoldschool wrote: Dip in the CDN dollar would be one possible explanation.
Definitely true. Regardless, the timing is a little suspect to say the least imo. But if others think this is no biggie in this time then maybe i am over reacting. My current stance is unchanged though, i think the timing is shady and I've got a feeling given their header, that business isn't exactly slow right now and given the financial windfall so many will be feeling and even are feeling due to this, I think a good look would have been to wait a month and implement new pricing.

It looks like they did it quickly without thought considering the price have the weirds numbers. like ending with 24 cents. or 21 cents. If they had thought it through they would have made it look normal and presentable and not rushed. Again my opinion, its not even about the money, the timing is what does it for me.
Feb 15, 2006
124 posts
25 upvotes
WallyWorld
I buy from PrimeCables quite a bit as well. Typically when they have a sale which includes free shipping (no minimum).

Usually their sale items end at 10 a.m. on any given promo. e.g. Monday 10am for weekend sales and tuesday for weekly sales.(except for their daily deal which ends at midnight) or 72 hr sales.

StaySafe wrote: I wake up yesterday to finalize my cart I had been compiling for a few days.
Since you assembled your shopping cart over Several days, you may have had sale items in there and were late in getting the sale price. It's happened to me occasionally.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3730 posts
2982 upvotes
Could also be that the Chinese factories that make all this stuff had to shut down so supply is down (and now demand is up). But @jayoldschool is on to something with the dollar bottoming out sub-70 cents If everything is mostly priced in USD things will get expensive for us.
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1225 posts
532 upvotes
Ottawa
Shipping at Shopper+ is now $7.95, it was $5.95 a couple of days ago (don't remember when I looked). I'm also seeing a few things more expensive but hadn't put in cart so I can't say exactly how much. I had gone away to figure exactly what I could justify to bundle into an order with $5.95 shipping.

Also both eBates and GCR cashback are at 0% (more precisely, eB is 0% and on GCR the merchant is just missing).

=aw
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes
LazyDog wrote: I buy from PrimeCables quite a bit as well. Typically when they have a sale which includes free shipping (no minimum).

Usually their sale items end at 10 a.m. on any given promo. e.g. Monday 10am for weekend sales and tuesday for weekly sales.(except for their daily deal which ends at midnight) or 72 hr sales.

Since you assembled your shopping cart over Several days, you may have had sale items in there and were late in getting the sale price. It's happened to me occasionally.
Nope, all my items were regular price.

Other people in this thread notice the increase, also in shipping.
Last edited by StaySafe on Mar 26th, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2020
44 posts
29 upvotes
aw1883 wrote: Shipping at Shopper+ is now $7.95, it was $5.95 a couple of days ago (don't remember when I looked). I'm also seeing a few things more expensive but hadn't put in cart so I can't say exactly how much. I had gone away to figure exactly what I could justify to bundle into an order with $5.95 shipping.

Also both eBates and GCR cashback are at 0% (more precisely, eB is 0% and on GCR the merchant is just missing).

=aw
Yup, increases all around.

In the end Primecables isn't a bad option. im just sour at the poor timing and will definitely complete this order on monoprice.com as the prices are cheaper and self clearing the package would create a much cheaper purchase.
May 2, 2013
799 posts
1165 upvotes
Toronto
i agree. the price of an item i was watching went up from $9.99 to $11.49, which is a 15% increase