None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
46 upvotes

Mazda 3's Usage Life - Mileage

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask all those whom have Mazda 3's or who have a strong knowledge base in this subject (a.k.a Jeff ;) if you guys would happen to know (on average) how long a Mazda 3 would typically be good for in terms of mileage?

I was looking into buying a used one, and I just wanted to see what the best price/mileage ratio would be. Which year would be the best to search for? 2004? 05? 06?

Thanks guys!
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6565 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind a lot of it depends on your driving...

city vs highway

rough roads vs smooth

fast and the furious style vs normal driver
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Nov 28, 2006
152 posts
1 upvote
I like the Mazda 3 Speed, with turbo engine. But will cost me more than a Civic. so I stick with civic. But honestly Mazda 3 is very nice car, compare to old Mazdazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7400 posts
686 upvotes
nazawale wrote:
May 14th, 2008 1:10 am
I like the Mazda 3 Speed, with turbo engine. But will cost me more than a Civic. so I stick with civic. But honestly Mazda 3 is very nice car, compare to old Mazdazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
The Mazdaspeed 3 is also a very very different car than a Civic...

OP: Keep in mind that the 3 has only been in production since 2004, so it's longevity is hard to predict. There are tons of 04's still out and fully functioning (and the build has been fine-tuned in more recent years).

Check out: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showt ... hp?t=19212
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25454 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
To answer the OP's question about how long it will last (vice how much you like it or how it compares to other brands), your driving style, location and in particular, how you maintain the car will determine how long it lasts. If you wait for every squeak and noise to become a breakdown, it won't be long before you look for a new car.
Maintenance, scheduled and unscheduled is the key to vehicle longevity. Do what the owners manual says. If something sounds or feels different, there must be a reason, find out what it is and fix it. Also, find a mechanic that knows your type of vehicle, has all the tools to work on your vehicle, be it in a dealership or not.
Apr 11, 2008
281 posts
7jai wrote:
May 14th, 2008 12:16 am
Hey guys,
...I was looking into buying a used one, and I just wanted to see what the best price/mileage ratio would be. Which year would be the best to search for? 2004? 05? 06? Thanks guys!
Much depends on how the previous owner(s) drove/treated it, which is hard to tell beyond whatever that's in the service history.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
46 upvotes
on average, if you keep it fully serviced on time, what would be it's life span?

just like how honda accords from the 96-97 generation can last past at least 200k +. Can the mazda 3 handle that as well?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3239 posts
51 upvotes
7jai wrote:
May 14th, 2008 8:05 am
on average, if you keep it fully serviced on time, what would be it's life span?

just like how honda accords from the 96-97 generation can last past at least 200k +. Can the mazda 3 handle that as well?
I don't think there are many cars that won't make it past 200K
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25454 posts
2678 upvotes
Ottawa
7jai wrote:
May 14th, 2008 8:05 am

Properly maintained and driven, it can last well beyond 200k (most cars will). Probably will rust out first. I had an 89 Taurus that had 240K and sold it to someone who drove it for two more years.
May 19, 2007
293 posts
6 upvotes
new_vr wrote:
May 14th, 2008 8:42 am
+1

I have a 1998 mazda protege se (base edition) with 239K on it and its still running strong. Some rust near the rear wheel wells and underneath the car but nothing worrisome or dangerous. The only other issue is that the engine has started to burn oil so I just have to top it up every 2 months or so between services.

I would believe mazda's build quality, materials, paint have all improved quite a bit since then. So if you maintain it regularly and drive normally these cars should easily go more than 200K.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
5943 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
new_vr wrote:
May 14th, 2008 8:42 am
My father's 2000 Protege is on 260+K and it is still running however my dad would delay oil changes and brakes and the gas lid is loose but closes so if he properly maintained it, I would think it would be just as good as my mom's Camry.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2103 posts
32 upvotes
You will get out of a car what you put into it. There is no kilometre marker by which a Mazda3 will fall apart. In fact, not driving it would be worse.

Stop obsessing over "how long" a Mazda lasts. Look at the one in front of you. Better yet, have an independent mechanic look at it and do a complete pre-purchase inspection. Start with a CarProof report before the inspection. Don't follow the morons in the Carfax thread looking for free CarFax reports - CarProof is typically more complete.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
46 upvotes
if there was an used mazda 3 2004 for $12,000 @ 75k, and everything is in good mechanic/cosmetic condition. would this be a good deal?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2103 posts
32 upvotes
That's reasonably low kms for a 2004 - less than 20K per year, but not unrealistically low.

The price sounds a little high, but you didn't say which trim level or engine, or whether it's a sedan or wagon (not that it matters much). I don't know the exact market value, anyway.

Keep in mind that Mazda has some very good promotions on new Mazda3s.

75K isn't much, but some parts/fluids are probably worn out or nearing replacement. I'm gonna guess the car will need a brake job (pads and maybe rotors), transmission fluid change, coolant flush, tires, and god-knows-what-else. Timing chain, right? Then no belt is needed.

I could be wrong. Check service records for the above, and regular oil changes. Is this a lease return? Often, servicing beyond oil changes is ignored.

The 2004 model had weak A/C. Be advised.

This is what I'm thinking - $12K is too much for a used car that likely needs replacement parts soon, when a new one is $17K or so. You'll get good financing rates and better A/C, too. I'm thinking $10K or less. But that's just me.
× < >