Dec 4, 2010
16630 posts
1494 upvotes
Space for rent
[quote=BBZero post_id=30185609 time=1543419963 user_id=1409048]
RIP Subaru.
[/quote]

What makes you say that?

Subaru has a niche following and undisputed best AWD system in the business. I know Mazda equipped the mazda6 with AWD and by all accounts it is a robust system so I hope they can come out with another iteration of the mazdaspeed with AWD. But it all comes down to how they price it.

How much is a base Impreza? $22-23k. That's a pretty compelling proposition.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
that's the issue though when you have a niche following...the mfg doesn't have to do much and people will still buy them (ie. same unreliable EJ motor that was held on for dear life for decades)
base Impreza has a boxer engine and is built in Indiana, sips regular gas but won't be able to touch SA-G and SA-X's efficiency
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 1:53 am
that's the issue though when you have a niche following...the mfg doesn't have to do much and people will still buy them (ie. same unreliable EJ motor that was held on for dear life for decades)
base Impreza has a boxer engine and is built in Indiana, sips regular gas but won't be able to touch SA-G and SA-X's efficiency
The Subaru EJ207 engine is truly one of the best engines ever built, I would bet any automotive engineer in the world would agree with me. The EJ205 was no slouch either. Any engine collector in the world would give their right arm for a EJ22G.

I had an EJ18 that did 400,000km without missing a beat.

The EJ255 and EJ257 won it's category of International Engine of the Year in 2006 and 2008. Those are highly competitive engineering awards. They also won awards from Ward's for the American market.

Saying the EJ series of engines is unreliable is wrong, just because a few EJ251 or EJ253 had some head gasket issues.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think I am, it is my understanding that all Subaru engines and transmissions are still made in the Oizumi factory in Japan. The drive lines to be used in the vehicles assembled in Indiana are crated and shipped to the Indiana factory from Oizumi Japan. Like I said, I could be wrong, but last time I checked they were still made in Japan.
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:21 pm
Mitsubishi has the Lancer sedan with AWD, and also made the Lancer Sportback with AWD ... that thing was hideous.
They stopped making the Lancer in 2017, it was getting really long in the tooth. Unfortunately the don't sell anything in the compact car category in Canada anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
is that the 2L in the WRX? nice motor for sure
dont mind me, i'm just salty to learn recently they no longer offer the Forester XT
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16630 posts
1494 upvotes
Space for rent
nffclsr wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 2:48 am
They stopped making the Lancer in 2017, it was getting really long in the tooth. Unfortunately the don't sell anything in the compact car category in Canada anymore.
The mirage is compact
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2086 posts
460 upvotes

Seems like the back seats are pretty cramped...but maybe it just seems that way because the guy is tall and the front seats are pushed back
[OP]
Feb 1, 2004
881 posts
291 upvotes
Markham
Here is an explanation of Mazda's new AWD system. I guess this will gradually roll out to their other vehicles when they get refreshed.

Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
hoodlum wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:51 pm
Here is an explanation of Mazda's new AWD system. I guess this will gradually roll out to their other vehicles when they get refreshed.

Well there goes my interest in that Mazda awd. If I buy an awd vehicle I want power going to all 4 wheels all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people who will like a fwd car that can transfer power to all 4 wheels though.
Oct 25, 2011
349 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
nffclsr wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 9:29 pm
Well there goes my interest in that Mazda awd. If I buy an awd vehicle I want power going to all 4 wheels all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people who will like a fwd car that can transfer power to all 4 wheels though.
What's the difference if the FWD bias car can anticipate the need of AWD before it happens... It's a car. You're not going to be taking it off-roading.
Last edited by DoogeCoinR on Nov 29th, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
Didn't watch the video in its entirely. So this AWD has got brake based torque vectoring?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1340 posts
626 upvotes
nffclsr wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 9:29 pm
Why would you want to waste power like that?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
he's probably trying to set 0-60 record at each light
full-time awd in the city is overkill
at the end of the day, this is an econobox and Skyactiv places huge emphasis on fuel efficiency, they're not gonna piss that away with power to all wheels 100% of the time
Russell wrote:

Oct 26, 2009
835 posts
307 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:25 pm
Corolla moves to multilink rear suspension and Mazda to a more reliable torsion beam.

Interesting times. Maybe it's because of the unlimited km warrany that forced this decision?
No because they said it's for improved NVH.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2 ... ment-58696

Biggest drawback to the new model imho. The current Mazda 3 has multi-link rears.