Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14569 posts
1006 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:25 pm
Corolla moves to multilink rear suspension and Mazda to a more reliable torsion beam.

Interesting times. Maybe it's because of the unlimited km warrany that forced this decision?
Exactly... Never thought the day would come that I'd prefer a Corolla over Mazda3

The Corolla's direct shift CVT is an interesting piece of tech too... Engineering Explained has a great video on it
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
What are the usual issues with the current gen Mazda3's? I don't care about the rust issue lol.

I read resale value is not as high as Honda or Toyota but maybe it's better to shop for a used Mazda3 hatchback once these new model is out.
Mar 17, 2016
722 posts
502 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:14 am
What are the usual issues with the current gen Mazda3's? I don't care about the rust issue lol.

I read resale value is not as high as Honda or Toyota but maybe it's better to shop for a used Mazda3 hatchback once these new model is out.
I believe they fixed rust issue a while ago. Currently I would say, they are lacking in technology department (infotainment is really dated. They only recently got AA, AC), backseat space is tight, cargo room is smaller than competitors. There is no speedier variant like Civic Si, Elantra GT, Golf GTI etc. I personally don't like the long hood. It makes is harder to park and maneuver. Wish it was smaller and they used that space for backseat legroom. But it's something to do with their engine placement. They need more room there.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
Sounds like there are not a lot of mechanical issues. Those issues you listed is not going to concern me so much. :)

With our Honda Accord, there was this VTC actuator grind and many were plagued with excessive oil consumption but ours didn't seem to drink oil especially when we follow the maintenance minder and do OCI between 13-15k cause the car is mostly highway driven.

Then Honda fixed the issue with the 1.5T so oil level doesn't go low but get replenished with fuel. :)
Nov 15, 2017
510 posts
328 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/MAZDA3/
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
Thanks. If the cars are in warranty, why do they required $? Or are people with much older cars still reporting their issues? I tend to discount experiences of 2nd hand (and so on) owners because the car they bought may actually not be well taken care of to begin with and most of these are outside of factory warranty periods.

So Mazda3's seem reliable enough during the warranty period but not outside of it when these complaints start coming out?
Nov 15, 2017
510 posts
328 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:58 am
Thanks. If the cars are in warranty, why do they required $?

So Mazda3's seem reliable enough during the warranty period but not outside of it when these complaints start coming out?
I think the spikes in complaints occurred in redesign years. 2017/2018 would be pretty safe to buy for the current gen.
Warranties have fine prints. Most recalls shouldn't cost money.
Last edited by BBZero on Nov 30th, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
Warranties have fine print but I've taken my cars to the dealership and not one warranty issue had been denied. Of course, I don't have OCD and not pushing every minor issues relating to wear of suspension components.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2128 posts
635 upvotes
Calgary
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:25 pm
It's not a big deal with BSM and 360 camera techs in today's car
It is a big deal to a lot of people. I like the look of it and I get why they did this for exterior looks, but this would be hard to live with day to day. It's ridiculous and would make it hard to drive in heavy traffic.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-h ... 1830754940
Oct 26, 2009
835 posts
307 upvotes
aleks wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:48 am
It is a big deal to a lot of people. I like the look of it and I get why they did this for exterior looks, but this would be hard to live with day to day. It's ridiculous and would make it hard to drive in heavy traffic.

+1

The current model has tiny windows and they managed to make the rear windows even smaller for the hatch. Wtf

Jan 17, 2009
296 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
alanbrenton wrote:

Not completely related but my sister with a Mazda CX-5 under warranty and every time there's an issue that requires a replacement part, she's always waiting weeks. Completely ridiculous as in Ontario there's a network of dealers that can supply the part, but for whatever reason they don't care how long you wait. Kind of put me off of Mazda (and this is coming from a guy who owns a VW).
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46639 posts
12684 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 3:59 pm
Not completely related but my sister with a Mazda CX-5 under warranty and every time there's an issue that requires a replacement part, she's always waiting weeks. Completely ridiculous as in Ontario there's a network of dealers that can supply the part, but for whatever reason they don't care how long you wait. Kind of put me off of Mazda (and this is coming from a guy who owns a VW).
which dealership if you don't mind me asking
[OP]
Feb 1, 2004
881 posts
291 upvotes
Markham
I came across this rendering where they took the c-pillar/rear window from the sedan and applied it to the hatch. What does everyone think?

Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1340 posts
626 upvotes
aleks wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:48 am

In your link they say it's comparable to other cars in the hatch class like the golf . People love it since cuvs with huge c pillars are selling so well I would argue

Why would it be hard to drive? That's why cars have 360 cameras and sensors now . But I guess if you want to see outside more, you shouldn't get a hatchback to begin with especially as all hatches have big c pillars .
Oct 24, 2018
51 posts
42 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:33 am
he's probably trying to set 0-60 record at each light
full-time awd in the city is overkill
at the end of the day, this is an econobox and Skyactiv places huge emphasis on fuel efficiency, they're not gonna piss that away with power to all wheels 100% of the time
I don't live in a city, the nearest traffic light is a 40 minute drive away. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone lives in a city.

If a car has 4 wheels, I think all 4 of them should be driven, not passengers. I've tried 1 and 2 wheel drive vehicles over the past 30 years of driving and decided in Ontario winters they are not for me.