• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 1:25 am
Tags:
Oct 24, 2018
52 posts
43 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:03 am
Why would you want to waste power like that?
I guarantee you that power is more efficiently put down to the ground with a good awd system than the majority of 1 or 2 wheel drive set ups.
Feb 2, 2018
192 posts
138 upvotes
Montreal
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 5:36 pm
In your link they say it's comparable to other cars in the hatch class like the golf . People love it since cuvs with huge c pillars are selling so well I would argue

Why would it be hard to drive? That's why cars have 360 cameras and sensors now . But I guess if you want to see outside more, you shouldn't get a hatchback to begin with especially as all hatches have big c pillars .
It's not 100% clear, but I'm pretty sure Jalopnik means that the golf's rear visibility is superior, as shown in their pic.

The only way tech can compensate for this design choice is one of those 180 degree backup cameras found in luxury cars. Not sure if Mazda will equip its compact car with one. Even then, it could get obstructed easily in the winter or with rain.

360 cameras are good for parking -limited range, good for nearby static obstacles. Not for cars, cyclists or pedestrians who are about to cross that blindspot. It will likely only be offered on high trims anyways. I also find rear-cross traffic alert to be a hit or miss for these situations; it doesn't tell you how far the object is, only that it's crossing. Hyundai's for example, I find too sensitive.

Not a dealbreaker for me, but definitely too much design over function.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12119 posts
1920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

The interior could pass for an Audi. Wow.
Nov 2, 2012
640 posts
599 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'll be switching from a 2014 Veloster to the Mazda3 hatchback. The C pillars on my car are just as big if not bigger Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes and I have no problems with sight.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
nffclsr wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 6:11 pm
I don't live in a city, the nearest traffic light is a 40 minute drive away. I hate to break it to you, but not everyone lives in a city.

If a car has 4 wheels, I think all 4 of them should be driven, not passengers. I've tried 1 and 2 wheel drive vehicles over the past 30 years of driving and decided in Ontario winters they are not for me.
i hate to break it to you, you're looking at the wrong vehicles
this is not your perfect replacement for Subarus and jeeps

this is more for urban dwellers who just wants the occasionally visit to the ski slopes where fuel efficiency is a bigger priority than having good traction from standstill in inclement weather

by your logic, i should only own unicycles esp if it only snows less than a week annually here
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1664 posts
282 upvotes
Maple
I'm not feeling it.

The interior to me looks like those prototype cars with interiors that look out of place, unfinished and attempting to be futuristic for the sake of being futuristic.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 2:26 am
I'm not feeling it.

The interior to me looks like those prototype cars with interiors that look out of place, unfinished and attempting to be futuristic for the sake of being futuristic.
To me there is a thing as too minimalistic. Some of the lines just look unfinished.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4030 posts
474 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 2:26 am
I'm not feeling it.

you mean like the model 3?

i mean people blast manufacturers all the time when the production version looks nothing like the concept

so it's a treat when concept is largely carried over to the end product (ie. new NSX, LC 500, new Supra should also be joining this club)

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nk6llej/

i do agree this vehicle definitely favours form over function, those passenger vent belongs in an 80s oldsmobile, wtf no touchscreen wtf and larger bezels than last gen

but i don't believe mazdas smaller than CX-5 have ever been about legroom and roomy interiors

and to be honest, if the best selling hatches right now drove themselves off a cliff, I won't weep for them...next-gen Golf couldn't come sooner ( mark 7.5 looks largely the same as mark 6) and the fake vents cladded Civic is the ugliest Japanese branded vehicle tied with the Subaru Tribeca

this, new Veloster and the new Corolla hatch are the palate cleansers we need

too bad Focus got canned for our market
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 24, 2018
52 posts
43 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 5:18 am
you mean like the model 3?

i mean people blast manufacturers all the time when the production version looks nothing like the concept

so it's a treat when concept is largely carried over to the end product (ie. new NSX, LC 500, new Supra should also be joining this club)

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nk6llej/

i do agree this vehicle definitely favours form over function, those passenger vent belongs in an 80s oldsmobile, wtf no touchscreen wtf and larger bezels than last gen

but i don't believe mazdas smaller than CX-5 have ever been about legroom and roomy interiors

and to be honest, if the best selling hatches right now drove themselves off a cliff, I won't weep for them...next-gen Golf couldn't come sooner ( mark 7.5 looks largely the same as mark 6) and the fake vents cladded Civic is the ugliest Japanese branded vehicle tied with the Subaru Tribeca

this, new Veloster and the new Corolla hatch are the palate cleansers we need

too bad Focus got canned for our market
This looks good? While I applaud Hyundai for not canning a car just because it doesn't sell, for the redesign they got rid of the old torsion beam rear end and replaced it with the Elantra GT's multilink setup which was tuned for the European market, I'm not sure the 2019 Veloster is going to sell any better because of the looks. People either like it or hate it, it appeals to unicycle riders I hear(see what I did there? I'm joking of course). However, when the Elantra GT is sitting next to it on dealer's lot, the GT will appeal to more people. Maybe the Veloster N will be better, I hope so.

As for the new Mazda 3, lets see what happens there in 2020 when they roll out the car they really want, all the powertrains they've designed for it. I'm hoping they give us a Mazdaspeed 3 that is stripped down, a hot hatch.
Jun 25, 2018
56 posts
17 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:51 pm

The interior could pass for an Audi. Wow.
Is it just me or the backseat room seems really cramped? This guy in the video doesn't seem very tall and he's almost touching the back of the front seat.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10683 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga
deal1234321 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 4:47 pm
Is it just me or the backseat room seems really cramped? This guy in the video doesn't seem very tall and he's almost touching the back of the front seat.
He says he's 186 cm tall and is sitting behind "himself".
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
2121 posts
155 upvotes
don't really like the depth of the headunit on the dashboard....oh well
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16640 posts
1500 upvotes
Space for rent
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 7:38 pm
He says he's 186 cm tall and is sitting behind "himself".
That guy from Redline isn't 186cm. Isnt' that like 6'+? He is 5'7 at best and 5'4 at worst.