• Dec 6th, 2018 1:25 am
Tags:
Nov 17, 2014
558 posts
268 upvotes
Ontario
deal1234321 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 4:47 pm
Is it just me or the backseat room seems really cramped? This guy in the video doesn't seem very tall and he's almost touching the back of the front seat.
Backseat is an afterthought in Mazda3s.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10677 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 7:41 am
That guy from Redline isn't 186cm. Isnt' that like 6'+? He is 5'7 at best and 5'4 at worst.
Ah yes, sorry I mixed him up with the German guy who did a similar video.

I'm 6' tall and can sit behind myself comfortably in my Gen3 Madza3 though.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2004
881 posts
291 upvotes
Markham
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 9:58 am
Ah yes, sorry I mixed him up with the German guy who did a similar video.

I'm 6' tall and can sit behind myself comfortably in my Gen3 Madza3 though.
I am fine as well in my Gen3 and I doubt it would be less since they increased the wheelbase length by 1". Headroom might change depending on the roof slope and if you have a sunroof.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
it def looks tight esp the hatch with the sloping roof, built for smaller Asian physique typical of many subcompacts from a Japanese marque

fine for hauling kids but probably not for adults in the back on the regular
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Feb 1, 2004
881 posts
291 upvotes
Markham
Confirmed that the height in the back seat is slightly less with the new Hatchback.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/mazda/ma ... 76685.html
While Mazda is yet to confirm interior dimensions and cargo capacity for the new Mazda3, Mr Tsuchida said the hatch’s new roofline has meant a loss of 2cm of rear headroom and the cargo capacity is also slightly down, while the sedan’s boot space is up.
[OP]
Feb 1, 2004
881 posts
291 upvotes
Markham
From the same article Mazda comments on why they went with a less utilitarian design for the hatchback.
Mr Tsuchida said the company went for a sporty look for the hatch, knowing that some dimensions might be impacted, in a bid to try and stand apart from the influx of small SUVs that are impacting small hatchback sales globally.

“Even in Europe, the small crossover (sales) volume is more than hatchbacks. The price is the same and packaging is the same. The only difference is the ride height.

“Since the small crossover is a new trend recently, that’s why we need to have a unique and good weapon as a hatchback as we can’t win over small crossover models.”
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16638 posts
1497 upvotes
Space for rent
hoodlum wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2018 4:04 pm
From the same article Mazda comments on why they went with a less utilitarian design for the hatchback.
I suspect the great majority aren't going to care what their philosophy is behind the design. It's all about how it makes us feel when we look at it and to me at least it looks unfinished and having a bit of a identity crisis. This is a step back, imo. Kind of reminds me of old actors who have plastic surgery and they look plastic and unnaturally weird.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a9/da/22/a9da ... ld-men.jpg[/img]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
why does it look unfinished?
because the interior is simple/minimalistic?
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16638 posts
1497 upvotes
Space for rent
You know how some car design look too busy? This is the antonym of that.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
so what do you need that's not there? i hate overly-busy interiors, they age like shit, and more items to break.
Russell wrote:

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16638 posts
1497 upvotes
Space for rent
I don't need anything just not something that looks like Keanu Reeves without eye brows after he wakes up in the matrix. I see that when I look at the hatchback. It's a set the hell out of me. Looks alien.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
so it's not your taste
has nothing to do with 'looking unfinished'
it's not the most welcoming interior i've seen but it looks pretty functional, so it might work for me
Russell wrote:

Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16638 posts
1497 upvotes
Space for rent
twitchyzero wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 11:47 pm
so it's not your taste
has nothing to do with 'looking unfinished'
it's not the most welcoming interior i've seen but it looks pretty functional, so it might work for me

You directed your querie at me after I stated the design looked unfinished (to me /imo) did you not?

I replied honestly. I don't see the confusion.

You may very be right if this catches on May be more manufacturers will adopt this minimalism with future designs. I.e Mercedes and other luxury brands incorporating vent controls into the design rather than having separate dials. Hidden in plain sight as it were.