Automotive

Mazda possibly ruined my exhaust after an oil change. Anything I can do?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1126 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Mazda possibly ruined my exhaust after an oil change. Anything I can do?

Took my Mazda3 there for an oil change. Picked up the car and it's making the typical grunting sound that an exhaust makes. Pretty upset about it. Just wanted to know what my options are when I call them tomorrow morning and complain about it.

Anything I can do? I guess legally I can't, coz I have no way to prove they actually did it.
Last edited by canoek on Mar 20th, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
canoek wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:26 pm
Took my Mazda3 there for an oil change. Picked up the car and it's making the typical grunting sound that an exhaust makes. Pretty upset about it. Just wanted to know what my options are when I call them tomorrow morning and complain about it.

Anything I can do? I guess legally I can't, coz I have no way to prove they actually did it.
First thing you should do before blaming anybody is get the car up on a hoist and see where the exhaust has an issue. It will be easy to tell if the exhaust issue is wear and tear or shop mistake.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
1958 posts
323 upvotes
What the heck is an exhaust grunting noise?

Maybe at the muffler bearings??
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20921 posts
1889 upvotes
canoek wrote:

If it's typical how is it broken?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4363 posts
2964 upvotes
GTA
Hopefully you've checked your oil level and made sure it's correct to rule that out. Dealers love to overfill oil changes and/or sometimes forget to fill it up/tighten drains, etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1126 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
booblehead wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:39 am
How old is the car ?
3 years.
Jan 23, 2017
368 posts
209 upvotes
Calgary
Judging by the responses I'm clearly not alone in my thinking..

You haven't really explained your logic as to what the dealer's oil change has to do with your muffler. Nor is anyone familiar with a muffler making a "typical grunt" noise.

In other words, OP needs to clarify.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15882 posts
4747 upvotes
Ottawa
canoek wrote:

Op, you're a regular on here...let's get some more details.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3567 posts
834 upvotes
Canuckland
Swerny wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 9:01 am
this.

check the flux capacitator next as well as the blinker fluid.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1267 posts
666 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 4:10 am
What the heck is an exhaust grunting noise?

Maybe at the muffler bearings??
Maybe its more like an exhaust fart?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1126 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OKSpring wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:45 am
Judging by the responses I'm clearly not alone in my thinking..

You haven't really explained your logic as to what the dealer's oil change has to do with your muffler. Nor is anyone familiar with a muffler making a "typical grunt" noise.

In other words, OP needs to clarify.
Car wasn't making any noise. Picked it up, it was making the noise. Hence dealer may have caused damage. It's also entirely possible it was wear and tear and it just so happened it happened when the dealer had it. Not trying to pin the blame on the dealer.

As for the noise itself and the type of noise, there's no way no-one knows that noise. I may be explaining it wrong. Say, if there's a leak somewhere in the exhaust, it makes a noise. I am talking about that.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1396 upvotes
Richmond
It's not impossible that they damaged your exhaust, but hard to prove. I once took my car into the dealer for a few fixes (it was new and under warranty), and one of the things they did was to send it out to another shop next door for a wheel alignment check. When I picked it up at the end of the day, I barely drove half a block before I realized that the exhaust was rattling against the floor pan of the car, I pulled over and took a look, and saw that the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car appeared to have been rammed in a couple of inches and buckled the pipe. Went around the block and returned to the dealer. They denied that anything had happened, but grudgingly agreed that it could have happened at the alignment shop, and said they would take care of it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1126 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Faith24 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 11:59 am
It's not impossible that they damaged your exhaust, but hard to prove. I once took my car into the dealer for a few fixes (it was new and under warranty), and one of the things they did was to send it out to another shop next door for a wheel alignment check. When I picked it up at the end of the day, I barely drove half a block before I realized that the exhaust was rattling against the floor pan of the car, I pulled over and took a look, and saw that the exhaust pipe at the rear of the car appeared to have been rammed in a couple of inches and buckled the pipe. Went around the block and returned to the dealer. They denied that anything had happened, but grudgingly agreed that it could have happened at the alignment shop, and said they would take care of it.
I'll call them and see where it goes. My guess is I'll end up spending $150 on the exhaust.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)