• Nov 19th, 2017 10:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1181 upvotes
Sauga

Mazda questions and answers

This is a replacement for the "Ask Me Anything About Buying a Mazda at a Dealership" thread. Please keep the following rule in mind:
Retailers and other businesses are allowed to participate on the forums to provide support to users as long as they clearly identify themselves and pursue no commercial activity whatsoever. This prohibition includes private messages. Businesses can answer support questions or provide product information, but cannot offer prices or quotes even when specifically asked for them.
1563 replies
Nov 20, 2007
334 posts
17 upvotes
Jumping in here to be on top of the thread since the lockdown of the original due to new rules !!! No other purpose!

Oh actually. No. I got something. So today, in my Mazda 3, I'm turning at a busy intersection on an advance green when I feel like my steering wheel locks up. I look at the dash and I see a yellow steering wheel light come on. I have no power steering. I use both hands to force the car to turn as I am rolling through this intersection when I should be driving through it. Car is not even 2 years old. I've heard of the power steering pump going but thought I was one of the lucky ones to not have this issue. Wrong!!! Add this to my Mazda issues. Going to a dealer tomorrow to have it examined and insisting on having this quickly replaced with a new part under warranty. Not impressed!!!

Anyone else? This is a serious matter, I drove like this for a few km as there was no where to pull/stop to turn vehicle off and start it back up to get this issue to reset. It took me 3 restarts of the vehicle. Mazda and I know this is an issue, a safety issue at that but surprise surprise, where is the recall?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
We are looking at a new car and have a short list down to mazda 3 hatchback or nissan versa. Was thinking of trying to get something a couple of years old.

Are any years better or worse then others in terms of reliability for the mazda 3?

Is it better value to pay more and get a new car vs one that is a couple of years old given the current mazda incentives out there?

Ive never owned a mazda before - how are they in terms of costs of minor/major repairs (compared to honda or toyota?)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7670 posts
764 upvotes
North York
Does Mazda offer a loyality discount for current Mazda owners?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1065 posts
44 upvotes
Bolton, ON
Owner Renewal Program

This program exists to provide repeat Mazda customers who wish to finance or lease a new or demonstrator vehicle, a rate reduction for their continued patronage.

Customer Eligibility:
The Mazda Customer Renewal Program is open to existing customers (or family members in their immediate household) who have purchased, leased, or financed a 2000 model year or newer Mazda vehicle from a Mazda dealer. The existing customer must be the original owner of the vehicle. If the applicant is a family member of the original purchaser, and applicant’s driver’s licence must be submitted as proof of common residency.

New Vehicle Eligibility:
Any new or demonstrator Mazda vehicle. See your Mazda dealer for full details.

Owner Renewal Discount:
Qualifying customers will receive a 0.5% rate discount (unless otherwise stated) off the published Mazda Canada subvened lease and APR finance program rates. This rate cannot fall below 0%.

A customer is eligible to receive the discount on an APR finance or Lease contract regardless of the previous vehicles purchase mode (APR, Lease, or Cash purchase).
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 28th, 2010 12:28 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9242 posts
1816 upvotes
Toronto
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 28th, 2010 12:28 am
yes.

0.5% deduction on lease/finance rates IIRC
Jul 16, 2009
117 posts
18 upvotes
Silv3r wrote:
May 25th, 2010 8:49 pm
Jumping in here to be on top of the thread since the lockdown of the original due to new rules !!! No other purpose!

Oh actually. No. I got something. So today, in my Mazda 3, I'm turning at a busy intersection on an advance green when I feel like my steering wheel locks up. I look at the dash and I see a yellow steering wheel light come on. I have no power steering. I use both hands to force the car to turn as I am rolling through this intersection when I should be driving through it. Car is not even 2 years old. I've heard of the power steering pump going but thought I was one of the lucky ones to not have this issue. Wrong!!! Add this to my Mazda issues. Going to a dealer tomorrow to have it examined and insisting on having this quickly replaced with a new part under warranty. Not impressed!!!

Anyone else? This is a serious matter, I drove like this for a few km as there was no where to pull/stop to turn vehicle off and start it back up to get this issue to reset. It took me 3 restarts of the vehicle. Mazda and I know this is an issue, a safety issue at that but surprise surprise, where is the recall?
You can go to Torontomazda3.ca for that info. Its not that common of an issue. I've heard a few members in that forum that had similar issues with you but not big enough for a TSB. My power steering pump was replaced but it was due to whining sound not as bad as yours.
scoop wrote:
May 27th, 2010 11:53 pm
We are looking at a new car and have a short list down to mazda 3 hatchback or nissan versa. Was thinking of trying to get something a couple of years old.

Are any years better or worse then others in terms of reliability for the mazda 3?

Is it better value to pay more and get a new car vs one that is a couple of years old given the current mazda incentives out there?

Ive never owned a mazda before - how are they in terms of costs of minor/major repairs (compared to honda or toyota?)
Some years are better than others but I wouldn't rule it out for just Mazda. Its like that for all manufacturers. You never want to get the first year of any generation. Each year for the same gen gets better but very slightly.

I drive a 2007 Mazda 3 and its pretty solid car. I don't really have much complains. Dealers do a good job taking care of me and I haven't had any major issues pop up. And by the way, this is my first car and first Mazda in the family.

I don't think you can really compare Mazda with Honda or Toyota. All manufacturers have their pros and cons. If your looking strictly on maintainence, and want the least headaches, than your best bet is a Honda or Toyota but if you want to have more fun driving the car, than many other car brands may suit you better.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7670 posts
764 upvotes
North York
BradT wrote:
May 28th, 2010 10:24 am
Owner Renewal Program

This program exists to provide repeat Mazda customers who wish to finance or lease a new or demonstrator vehicle, a rate reduction for their continued patronage.

Customer Eligibility:
The Mazda Customer Renewal Program is open to existing customers (or family members in their immediate household) who have purchased, leased, or financed a 2000 model year or newer Mazda vehicle from a Mazda dealer. The existing customer must be the original owner of the vehicle. If the applicant is a family member of the original purchaser, and applicant’s driver’s licence must be submitted as proof of common residency.

New Vehicle Eligibility:
Any new or demonstrator Mazda vehicle. See your Mazda dealer for full details.

Owner Renewal Discount:
Qualifying customers will receive a 0.5% rate discount (unless otherwise stated) off the published Mazda Canada subvened lease and APR finance program rates. This rate cannot fall below 0%.

A customer is eligible to receive the discount on an APR finance or Lease contract regardless of the previous vehicles purchase mode (APR, Lease, or Cash purchase).
The current finance promotion is 0% for 60m. That means for finacing, there is "effectively" no Mazda loyalty discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2303 posts
146 upvotes
Mazda of Toronto
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 29th, 2010 12:47 pm
The current finance promotion is 0% for 60m. That means for finacing, there is "effectively" no Mazda loyalty discount.
If the car you are financing is currently being offered at 0% or you are paying cash, you will get a cash loyalty rebate.. depending on the car, a Mazda3 will get you $250 and $500 off almost everything else...
< The original ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT BUYING A NEW MAZDA >

Serving the RFD membership base with Mazda's current incentives and promotions since 2007!

Jeff@Jeff-TheBiz.com
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1718 posts
4 upvotes
Someone told me taller people should watch out for sunroof/moonroof options since they typically give you less vertical space. Is this something to worry about in a Mazda 3 (Sport) for someone around 6'2" ? (Yes I understand I could simply go test drive one and find out :) )
A W E S O M E N E S S
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7670 posts
764 upvotes
North York
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
May 31st, 2010 2:22 pm
If the car you are financing is currently being offered at 0% or you are paying cash, you will get a cash loyalty rebate.. depending on the car, a Mazda3 will get you $250 and $500 off almost everything else...
Thank you.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2303 posts
146 upvotes
Mazda of Toronto
mrG wrote:
May 31st, 2010 2:33 pm
Someone told me taller people should watch out for sunroof/moonroof options since they typically give you less vertical space. Is this something to worry about in a Mazda 3 (Sport) for someone around 6'2" ? (Yes I understand I could simply go test drive one and find out :) )
You do gain a little bit of room not having the moonroof.

But yes.. test one.
Busybuyer888 wrote:
May 31st, 2010 2:47 pm
Thank you.
Should also mention that currently if you looking at the 3... currently the rate reduction for loyalty is 1% so for a 6 yr... you would be at 0.9%!
< The original ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT BUYING A NEW MAZDA >

Serving the RFD membership base with Mazda's current incentives and promotions since 2007!

Jeff@Jeff-TheBiz.com
Sep 30, 2001
26406 posts
5433 upvotes
Toronto
mrG wrote:
Someone told me taller people should watch out for sunroof/moonroof options since they typically give you less vertical space.
no need to rely on second-hand knowledge - see for yourself on the mazda.ca webpage. look at the specifications for front and rear headroom and you'll see how much room a sunroof robs.

now whether that will impact your ability to fit in the car can only be tested out in person.
May 28, 2010
2 posts
mrG wrote:
We bought a 2010 Sport GS late last year. I'm also 6'2" and decided against the comfort package solely because of the height issue. I really wanted the moonroof and ESC but my head brushed against the ceiling during the test drive. If you drive in a reclined position it probably will not be a problem. I have a few inches clearance with the seatback straight up without the moonroof.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1718 posts
4 upvotes
Wow, lots of responses. Thanks guys!
A W E S O M E N E S S
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.