Mazda questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 12:30 pm
Tags:
Aug 23, 2014
126 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I bought a Mazda 3 Sport GS a couple of months ago. Every time I start the car, the info system loads the contacts from my iphone into the system, is this normal?

I like the car a lot though by the way. Great handling (best japanese car I've ever driven), excellent value.
Oct 26, 2009
848 posts
316 upvotes
micron15 wrote:
Mazda US , C&D, Topspeed, Autoblog mentions the signature trim to have a 360 camera and front+rear parking sensors. What gives? Once again we get shafted here in Canada?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2489 ... otos-info/
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/ ... 83406.html

What does "Meter set with 7" LCD display" mean? On the Mazda.ca Overview>>Models section , under Signature tab, it says that's included on top of GT. But when you browse the Specs >> Instrumentation section, it says none of the trims gets Meter set with 7" LCD
It's your speedometer which is now an LCD screen.

The resolution of the back up camera with 360 degree feature is crap and grainy.
Last edited by lordnikon on Dec 9th, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 26, 2009
848 posts
316 upvotes
Jedi14 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 10:23 am
I bought a Mazda 3 Sport GS a couple of months ago. Every time I start the car, the info system loads the contacts from my iphone into the system, is this normal?

I like the car a lot though by the way. Great handling (best japanese car I've ever driven), excellent value.
Yes normal.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10740 posts
1064 upvotes
Mississauga
Jedi14 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 10:23 am

That's the auto refresh on the contacts list. There is a setting to disable that if you don't want that.
Nov 22, 2018
16 posts
9 upvotes
micron15 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 11:52 pm
I hear yah on the CVT! I am coming from a 09 Lancer with CVT...can't wait to get the cx-5

On the GT version, how much extra is it to opt for the turbo engine?

Mazda US , C&D, Topspeed, Autoblog mentions the signature trim to have a 360 camera and front+rear parking sensors. What gives? Once again we get shafted here in Canada?
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2489 ... otos-info/
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/ ... 83406.html

What does "Meter set with 7" LCD display" mean? On the Mazda.ca Overview>>Models section , under Signature tab, it says that's included on top of GT. But when you browse the Specs >> Instrumentation section, it says none of the trims gets Meter set with 7" LCD
Look at the top of that page. You've selected GX, GS and GT for the comparison. Change one of the dropdowns to Signature and you'll notice the Meter Set with 7" is there.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1239 posts
48 upvotes
Anyone recently purchased Mazda 3 gs with iactive package? May I know your otr price? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18547 posts
312 upvotes
YYZ
Do you guys think the CX5 GS trim is good value for the money since it does come with a powered liftgate? I'm not convinced the GT is worth the money. Any comment on using Carplay or Android Auto on the infotainment system? I recently drove a Nissan Rogue with Carplay and I found the screen responsiveness to be a bit sluggish compared to using the touchscreen of an iPhone.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10740 posts
1064 upvotes
Mississauga
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 5:37 am
Do you guys think the CX5 GS trim is good value for the money since it does come with a powered liftgate? I'm not convinced the GT is worth the money. Any comment on using Carplay or Android Auto on the infotainment system? I recently drove a Nissan Rogue with Carplay and I found the screen responsiveness to be a bit sluggish compared to using the touchscreen of an iPhone.
A lot of online reviews have come out within the last week or so on the CX-5 Signature, which has the new turbo engine (the GT has this engine as an option). They all said that the addition of the turbo made a huge improvement on the vehicle, as the common complaint of the normal 2.5L engine was that it did not provide enough oomph.

Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 8:02 pm
Hi Jeff. Have you received any info regarding delivery dates on the 2019 Mazda3 or when the build & price will be available on the website?
Nov 15, 2017
529 posts
347 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
GS is the typical value trim. You'd miss out on tech goodies like HUD or premium audio. No genuine leather either.
On the plus side, GS comes with smaller wheels and "regular profile" tires. GT/Signature tires/wheels are unnecessarily expensive IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5505 posts
1684 upvotes
I totaled my 2012 Sport GX, and the insurance is telling me the 2018 is worth 18078$ + taxes on the road with winter tires.

I visited 2 stealerships and the price wasn't very close to that. Car is MSRP 21710$ and there's a 1500 cash discount on at the moment, brings it to 20210$, but I can't see how it's possible to get this at another 2000+ discount. They don't even have that much margin on them. And they're telling me their payout includes winter tires.

My insurance is trying to pull one off or something?

What's the best price anyone got on a 3 Sport GX, manual?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2338 posts
161 upvotes
Mazda of Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
The Carplay/Android Auto works well on my CX-5 but no screen is going to be a fluid as the phone itself.. however you don't really use the touch screen as you drive anyhow.
Talamasca wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:00 am
A lot of online reviews have come out within the last week or so on the CX-5 Signature, which has the new turbo engine (the GT has this engine as an option). They all said that the addition of the turbo made a huge improvement on the vehicle, as the common complaint of the normal 2.5L engine was that it did not provide enough oomph.

Hi Jeff. Have you received any info regarding delivery dates on the 2019 Mazda3 or when the build & price will be available on the website?
Likely as soon as they land, I was delivering 2019 CX-5s before they appeared on the website.
WHO wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 5:08 pm
I totaled my 2012 Sport GX, and the insurance is telling me the 2018 is worth 18078$ + taxes on the road with winter tires.

I visited 2 stealerships and the price wasn't very close to that. Car is MSRP 21710$ and there's a 1500 cash discount on at the moment, brings it to 20210$, but I can't see how it's possible to get this at another 2000+ discount. They don't even have that much margin on them. And they're telling me their payout includes winter tires.

My insurance is trying to pull one off or something?

What's the best price anyone got on a 3 Sport GX, manual?
It sounds like your insurance is getting the wrong quote..

Also at this point I seriously doubt you will be able to find a GX Stick... You might be able to get them to bump up to a GS.
If you had a 12 GX with Convenience pkg it came with Alloys.. so the equal replacement would have to be a 2018 GS..

Are you in TO?
< The original ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT BUYING A NEW MAZDA >

Serving the RFD membership base with Mazda's current incentives and promotions since 2007!

Jeff@Jeff-TheBiz.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5505 posts
1684 upvotes
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:02 pm
It sounds like your insurance is getting the wrong quote..

Also at this point I seriously doubt you will be able to find a GX Stick... You might be able to get them to bump up to a GS.
If you had a 12 GX with Convenience pkg it came with Alloys.. so the equal replacement would have to be a 2018 GS..

Are you in TO?
Hi @Jeff-TheBiz thanks for your reply. I've been spending my holidays dealing with this nonsense, I have quotes from 3 dealerships and none of them agree to 18k, except one but I think it's because it's their last one and it's probably a demo.

I didn't have the convenience pack, just a very basic GX manual. I'm in MTL unfortunately otherwise I would've already contacted you directly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5505 posts
1684 upvotes
Well, just to update my post, I ended up stricking a deal with my local dealer. They agreed to sell me a new (7km on the odo) 2018 Sport GX with Android Auto and Weathertech floor liners, extra set of mounted winter tires on steel rims, and to deliver the car washed, waxed and with Aquapel, for 18500$ + tx minus the 500$ loyalty discount which for some reason is applied after tax.
The insurance eventually agreed to cover the 18,500 + tax, since they weren't able to prove to me that their 18,078$ quote was actually legit.

So, I took delivery of the car Yesterday, and the winter tires were there, mounted on the OEM rims, with the OEM tires in the trunk/back seat but not mounted. I look at the mats, they gave me the other optional mats, the all-weather ones. The car wasn't waxed. So, I pointed all those things out, they started arguing the "words on the contract" are only "winter tires" and "winter mats", so they don't owe me anything. *frown* Yep, typical stealership practices. I reminded them that I didn't even ask for the extra rims, it's the salesman who just offered it, he just said that's the way they do it, the include the rims with the winter tires. I even said to him "Wow, I'm surprised, I thought I'd only get the tires but not the rims" and he again confirmed that it came with it. For the mats, I verbally spoke the word "Weathertech" so, how should I know that "winter mats" on the contract didn't mean the same as what was verbally concluded/promised?

Anyway, I've never had a good experience with stealerships. It really sucks having this bad after taste. Don't get me wrong, the deal on the car is still fine, at 20,787.83 tx in OTR with winter tires and winter mats, and they did do the Aquapel, but promises were made and during the whole process yesterday, their excuse was "they didn't remember" any of it. If you make promises, things that you offered without the client even asking for them, you better make damn sure you'll deliver. The sales manager kept complaining that he regrets doing the deal now, and should've sent me back. WTH? I'm only asking to get what they promised.

Anyway, nothing doing for the rims, but he reluctantly agreed to swap the all-weather mats for the Weathertech liners, but only for the front row. Bittersweet I guess.

I also discovered that my stupid Android phone doesn't work with Android Auto. But someone there who had an Android showed me it worked fine with his, so I know the car is fine, it's my phone that's a POS (Asus Zenfone 4 Max).
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1822 posts
639 upvotes
I'm contemplating between a 2014 Toyota Matrix and 2014 Mazda 3 Sport.

They can both be base models with automatic transmission.

I noticed that the fuel mileage is better with the Mazda, maybe slight reliability edge/rust performance with the Toyota.
Not sure about the insurance amount but assuming that it's slightly cheaper with the Mazda.
The infotainment is not an issue as I can install an aftermarket deck with a rear view camera. I am concerned that the base (GX) model of the Mazda will not allow that as it has the "tablet" configuration.
Driving "Fun" factor would be better with the Mazda and practicality (e.g. cargo storage) better with the Matrix?

Would you agree/disagree with these observations and are there any other items that would be of useful to know?