Automotive

Mazda questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 12:30 pm
Tags:
Oct 3, 2017
128 posts
78 upvotes
@WHO something I don't understand is how your insurance settled with you for the full price of a new car when the one you totaled was a 2012? I thought they pay out the value (less deductible) of the totalled car not the value of a new car. I know there are riders (extra cost add ons) that cover full replacement but I also thought that was just for something like 2 years not 6 or 7 in your case.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5496 posts
1660 upvotes
George613 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:18 pm
@WHO something I don't understand is how your insurance settled with you for the full price of a new car when the one you totaled was a 2012? I thought they pay out the value (less deductible) of the totalled car not the value of a new car. I know there are riders (extra cost add ons) that cover full replacement but I also thought that was just for something like 2 years not 6 or 7 in your case.
I can't say how it works in other jurisdictions, but in QC you can call an insurance broker and buy a replacement value contract for up to 7 years (which thankfully is what I did back in 2012). You can buy it from the stealership too but at 50% more $$$. It's a seperate policy from the main insurance.
My insurance gave me 7,500$ for the car, and the replacement value insurer covers the remaining 12k.

We also have the option of adding the rider to your main insurance policy, but only up to a max of 5 years and it may impact on their decision to total the car or not.
Oct 3, 2017
128 posts
78 upvotes
Woa that was super good that you had that extra policy. In Ontario we get hosed for auto insurance.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2315 posts
1502 upvotes
Richmond Hill
George613 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:14 pm
Woa that was super good that you had that extra policy. In Ontario we get hosed for auto insurance.
We have that here as OPCF 43, and it's not that expensive either. You usually can't get it for as long, but it's sufficient imo.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1304 posts
102 upvotes
any details on pricing and specs for the new mazda 3's yet?
Dec 20, 2018
178 posts
107 upvotes
George613 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:14 pm
No we don't, we have one of the cheapest rates in the country when you compare similar coverages . Other provinces have lower rates that come with lower coverage

You can also purchase in Ontario depreciation waiver for longer periods as well.

You need to compare apples with apples
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10724 posts
1053 upvotes
Mississauga
epik89 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:59 am
any details on pricing and specs for the new mazda 3's yet?
I was told that the Mazda.ca website would be updated later this month with the new 3's specs and pricing.

From what I've read, even the base trim (GX) should be well-equipped. All the trim lines will get the 2.5L engine previously found only on the highest trim (GT). LED lights will also be standard across the board as well, but it looks like the higher trims will get a fancier version of the lights. AWD will be an automatic-only option for now. I would expect the GX's price to increase over the current one because of all the extra features. If I were to guess, I would estimate low 20s for a base GX to low-mid 30s for a fully-loaded GT with AWD.

Mexico has them already and there are various videos on Youtube made by the dealerships down there showing off the cars and their various trim levels. The Canadian spec should have more features (heated seats/steering wheel, more safety tech) than what they got, but it's a good base to see what the car is like.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1173 posts
289 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:03 pm
No we don't, we have one of the cheapest rates in the country when you compare similar coverages . Other provinces have lower rates that come with lower coverage

You can also purchase in Ontario depreciation waiver for longer periods as well.

You need to compare apples with apples
Where can I have a good "apple" vs "apple" comparison online???
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5496 posts
1660 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 2:31 pm
I was told that the Mazda.ca website would be updated later this month with the new 3's specs and pricing.

From what I've read, even the base trim (GX) should be well-equipped. All the trim lines will get the 2.5L engine previously found only on the highest trim (GT). LED lights will also be standard across the board as well, but it looks like the higher trims will get a fancier version of the lights. AWD will be an automatic-only option for now. I would expect the GX's price to increase over the current one because of all the extra features. If I were to guess, I would estimate low 20s for a base GX to low-mid 30s for a fully-loaded GT with AWD.

Mexico has them already and there are various videos on Youtube made by the dealerships down there showing off the cars and their various trim levels. The Canadian spec should have more features (heated seats/steering wheel, more safety tech) than what they got, but it's a good base to see what the car is like.
I wish I totalled my car a few months later than I did :(
Got a great deal on the 2018 but, who cares since the insurance is paying... I would've much rather get the 2019. Oh well, that's why we call'em accidents, you don't plan it.
Dec 20, 2018
178 posts
107 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:01 pm
Where can I have a good "apple" vs "apple" comparison online???
There is none as it's not like someone in Ontario can buy insurance from another province, so there's no comparison tool that I'm aware of
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5496 posts
1660 upvotes
hoodlum wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:38 pm
I think we will see more details on the 2019 Mazda3 at the Montreal Auto show.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/2019-auto-show/
The people at the stealership where I got my car were all hyped on the day of the delivery because they had been at the local Mazda head office to get brain washed and see the new car, which was the one they're gonna put on display at the show. So, I say yeah...

But, they told me they only had 2 sedans, no hatch, that would be both dissapointing and dumb.
Feb 1, 2004
890 posts
293 upvotes
Markham
Mazda says they will be announcing a world premiere of a new 2020 model at the Geneva auto Show in March. My guess is we will see a larger cx3 get announced.