Automotive

Mazda questions and answers

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 9:44 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41044 posts
9913 upvotes
The top of the line Accord (touring) may have traction control. A friend of mine took his friend's offer and got a top of the line V6 for free and put in a new transmission.
Sep 4, 2017
6 posts
hermit1988 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 1:12 pm
Now I seriously feel bad to trade in my 2010 Mazda3 2.5 GS Sport with 115k odometer for 6k last month.
Thanks
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10158 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
Jeff, do you have any inside info on the SkyActiv-X engine you can share?
Jun 9, 2011
389 posts
107 upvotes
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 5:33 pm
I have already taken a couple of orders.
They are being built January 2018 and will land end of February or Beginning of March.
Princing is expected to be approximately $3000 more then the 2017 model.
Jeff, would 2018 CX-5 diesel come at the same time as regular 2018 CX-5? Any word on when official Canadian pricing / specs will be released for both? Contemplating whether to pull the trigger on 2017, but current incentives are not very good, might as well wait for 2018 model.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2007
2303 posts
146 upvotes
Mazda of Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 7:47 pm
Jeff, do you have any inside info on the SkyActiv-X engine you can share?
There is a few articles on it but nothing concrete in the way of a memo from Mazda Canada.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/m ... er-premium

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112 ... gine-works

https://www.motoring.com.au/revolutiona ... on-108315/

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/mazd ... 64884.html

akon1943 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:20 pm
Jeff, would 2018 CX-5 diesel come at the same time as regular 2018 CX-5? Any word on when official Canadian pricing / specs will be released for both? Contemplating whether to pull the trigger on 2017, but current incentives are not very good, might as well wait for 2018 model.
With the CX5 and CX9 I don't see any type of "how are we going to get rid of these" incentives.. like 0% over 6yrs etc..

The 2018 CX-5 will have a few tweeks. biggest one being the launch of the SkyActiv-G and SkyActiv-D,

The 2018 CX5 will have a few upgrades from the 2017s

- SkyActiv-G 2.5L will have cylinder deactivation and enhanced combustion technology. Further details to follow
- GS/GT will also now have Pedestrian detection as part of the SCBS
- GX will now include: SCBS, ABSM, RCTA, auto lights, auto wipers and also a newly available iActivsense pkg
- Eternal Blue to be added to the colour pallet
< The original ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT BUYING A NEW MAZDA >

Serving the RFD membership base with Mazda's current incentives and promotions since 2007!

Jeff@Jeff-TheBiz.com
Aug 6, 2009
280 posts
79 upvotes
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:44 pm

With the CX5 and CX9 I don't see any type of "how are we going to get rid of these" incentives.. like 0% over 6yrs etc..

The 2018 CX-5 will have a few tweeks. biggest one being the launch of the SkyActiv-G and SkyActiv-D,

- SkyActiv-G 2.5L will have cylinder deactivation and enhanced combustion technology. Further details to follow
- GX will now include: SCBS, ABSM, RCTA, auto lights, auto wipers and also a newly available iActivsense pkg
I am planning on purchasing a CX-5 by the end if the year or early next year, not sure whether to get the 2017 or 2018 model. What month does Mazda usually release their new models? Also, are there any significant offers for older models? Thanks a lot.
Apr 25, 2003
56 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Jeff-TheBiz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 2:44 pm
There is a few articles on it but nothing concrete in the way of a memo from Mazda Canada.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/m ... er-premium

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1112 ... gine-works

https://www.motoring.com.au/revolutiona ... on-108315/

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/mazd ... 64884.html

Thanks for the updates Jeff. Can you check whether SCBS - Reverse is coming to North American vehicles?
Apr 17, 2016
7 posts
Hello everyone at RFD, long time lurker here. First off, I would like to thank members of this forum for indirectly saving a lot of money, much appreciated. I am a first time car buyer, and don't have any knowledge about cars. The whole process of purchasing the car has been a little bit overwhelming to be frank, but thanks to places such as RFD and reddit, the process has gradually gotten easier.

I was looking at many cars around Toronto area, and decided to buy a 2014+ Mazda 3 Sport GS trim. I have found this listing: https://www.airportmazda.ca/used/Mazda/ ... ee728b.htm

I have several questions with regards to this car. 1. Does it seem like a good deal? It has a clean carproof report, one owner, and regularly serviced. 2. Realistically, how much negotiation room do I have with regards to this car? 3. Does anyone have any experience with Airport Mazda of Toronto? They seem to have good reviews on Google and dealerrater.ca. 4. Is PPI worth performing? Car seems to be in a good condition, and has been regularly services.

Me and my wife have a test drive scheduled for this Saturday, September 23. Thanks for any help!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18796 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
wow. $15K for a near 4 yrs old car with 70,000km. MSRP when new was $21K. I think you are better off buying new then.
Apr 17, 2016
7 posts
booblehead wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 1:22 pm
wow. $15K for a near 4 yrs old car with 70,000km. MSRP when new was $21K. I think you are better off buying new then.
thanks for your answer. The problem is we can afford to buy this particular car in cash, but we will have to finance a new vehicle. We are currently both international students (graduating 2019), I study Engineering in a co-op program, and that's pretty much all my income (I worked 2 terms last year and made $30K, similarly this year, but next year I will only have 1 term, so half the income), so I doubt I will be approved for a 0% APR that Mazda has as an incentive right now. I checked Unhaggle, and after calculating their invoice price + Freight and other fees + 3% for a dealer, it would come out $24.5K in total, which makes it a $7.6K difference between the two, plus insurance is cheaper on the older model. Overall, we are still undecided if we want to purchase old car with cash, or finance a brand new one. We don't want to put any down payments for financing, as we will not have a steady source of income until mid 2019, so if we are to finance the vehicle, we will have to use 17K in cash we have right now for payments. However, if I was to get approved for a 0% APR, then it could be a good deal, my credit score is 758 according to report I've received from Mogo.

Edit: I should mention that both of us receive financial support from parents who live overseas, so spending $17K on a car would not affect my finances apart from insurance and maintenance costs. Would it be better to finance a brand new vehicle, or a $7.6K difference is negligible in this case? What are my chances of being approved for a 0% APR (60 months) incentive if my credit score is 758, but I have no steady source of income? Not sure if it could help, but me and my wife have enough cash to buy out the new vehicle, but we might need that money, which is why we are not using it to pay for the car.
Last edited by JohnDoeKZ on Sep 20th, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18796 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
If you are buying old car, you will also need to see what items need replacing right away, thus adding onto the price of the old car. Items such as tires, brakes, fluid change, other unforeseen repairs, extended warranty (if you are thinking of getting), etc.
Apr 17, 2016
7 posts
booblehead wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 1:59 pm
If you are buying old car, you will also need to see what items need replacing right away, thus adding onto the price of the old car. Items such as tires, brakes, fluid change, other unforeseen repairs, extended warranty (if you are thinking of getting), etc.
that car is only 3 years old though, and has been serviced regularly. Doesn't seem that there will be many fees on top of the 15K besides tax and licensing.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18796 posts
4066 upvotes
Toronto
@70,000km ... if dealer does not replace the tires & brakes ... knowingly they only need to be just have enough to pass safety ... then you are on the hook to replace them in the very near future. just my opinion.

It is 3 model years old (well, actually 4 model years old, given 2018 is already out and selling), but it's likely in service for 4 yrs on the road ... with that many mileage on it.
Apr 17, 2016
7 posts
booblehead wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 2:46 pm
@70,000km ... if dealer does not replace the tires & brakes ... knowingly they only need to be just have enough to pass safety ... then you are on the hook to replace them in the very near future. just my opinion.

It is 3 model years old (well, actually 4 model years old, given 2018 is already out and selling), but it's likely in service for 4 yrs on the road ... with that many mileage on it.
Thanks for such quick replies! Unfortunately, I have 0 knowledge about what parts might need replacement and what not, would a good mechanic be able to tell if I would need to replace anything in the near future? We are planning to set up a PPI with a trusted mechanic.