Automotive

Mazda Scheduled Maintenance Question - Is the dealer ripping me off??

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 9:55 am
[OP]
Mar 17, 2016
372 posts
264 upvotes

Mazda Scheduled Maintenance Question - Is the dealer ripping me off??

I own a 2015 Mazda 3 which I bought brand new in the summer of 2015. Vehicle is all paid off.

I got a first call from the dealer regarding scheduled maintenance 4 months after purchase. What the dealer said was 4 months or 8,000 km (which ever comes first). I tried to decline it, since I drive very little (only put up 2,000 km at that point). Dealer said, I have to obide by the Mazda scheduled service or my warranty (3 years comprehensive and 5 years powertrain) would be voided. So I sad fine, paid $60 for oil and filter change (they also got me to do synthetic oil, which I didn't want, their reasoning was it is a new vehicle)

So up to this point, I've done 3 dealer oil changes (every 4 months/8,000 kms). I only have 14,000 km mileage on my car. Today I get a phone call from the dealer saying I am scheduled for a big check up (24,000km check or something like that) which is around $400. They will replace oil, check brakes etc. etc. I told they I'll have to think about it.

I tried to check my manual/warranty/website info and it is all very vague there. I really don't want to do this $400 check but also would rather avoid voiding warranty. I've had the car for almost 2 years now, it's been great, I take really good care of it and stay way under suggested mileage. What do you think I should do? I feel like I am getting ripped off with these constant service appointments where I am way under mileage wise.
50 replies
[OP]
Mar 17, 2016
372 posts
264 upvotes
I found the 2015 Mazda maintenance guide on their official canadian website. Any Mazda owners can chime in on this?

Jul 7, 2007
745 posts
232 upvotes
They gonna take apart the brakes and clean them. $400 is a rip off. You can get shop around and get quotes from other shops. As long as you have documented proof that the required services were performed then your warranty is intact.

Judging but the low kms you are putting on the car, its doubtful anything is gonna break before 5 years. Especially since you did 14k in 1.5 years so you'll hit 50k in 5 years. Doubtful anything is gonna break before that.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16386 posts
1096 upvotes
Woodbridge
That's why they call them Stealership.

I almost had MY15 Murano and all I've done is all changes, DIY. Nissan keeps sending me eMail for the scheduled maintenance.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jan 19, 2006
328 posts
123 upvotes
BC
I have a 2013 Madza 3 and in exactly the same scenario. I told Mazda that I would do my own oil changes on the prescribed schedule and the dealer said this was fine. We did pay for the lame "major" inspection. What will you find wrong with a car that has only 10k km on it? If you are the mechanic inspecting it you simply look at the low mileage and temper what you do by this. I bet they just give most things a "visual" as it needs nothing more. They won't do a thing to the brakes if a visual reveals even pad wear and little disc scoring.

My car will soon have 30k km on it and this is after owning it for 3yrs, 5 months. You are going to time out on your warranties before you mile the warranty out, so I would observe a sensible maintenance protocol base on accrued kms rather than time based.

If you search RFD you may find that someone suggested that if you had a major failure such as an engine blown, oil analysis could be used to determine if the oil was in a state of depletion leading to the failure thus putting the blame on the owner. If the oil was good it would be Mazda's fault.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2632 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
So 3 oil changes in a year with synthetic?!

This how they justify providing unlimited kms warranty?!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1279 posts
159 upvotes
sigh in the same boat, the worst part is the new 2017's say 6 months now instead of 4 months but its the same engine!
[OP]
Mar 17, 2016
372 posts
264 upvotes
cloudsuck wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 7:00 pm
I have a 2013 Madza 3 and in exactly the same scenario. I told Mazda that I would do my own oil changes on the prescribed schedule and the dealer said this was fine. We did pay for the lame "major" inspection. What will you find wrong with a car that has only 10k km on it? If you are the mechanic inspecting it you simply look at the low mileage and temper what you do by this. I bet they just give most things a "visual" as it needs nothing more. They won't do a thing to the brakes if a visual reveals even pad wear and little disc scoring.

My car will soon have 30k km on it and this is after owning it for 3yrs, 5 months. You are going to time out on your warranties before you mile the warranty out, so I would observe a sensible maintenance protocol base on accrued kms rather than time based.

If you search RFD you may find that someone suggested that if you had a major failure such as an engine blown, oil analysis could be used to determine if the oil was in a state of depletion leading to the failure thus putting the blame on the owner. If the oil was good it would be Mazda's fault.
yeah honestly I almost hung up the phone when I heard $400 to have the breaks checked. She also mentioned wiper replacements were included (but those are like $20). I can basically do all that maintenance myself.

sigh...Didn't know I bought Mercedes instead of a Mazda. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and inquire if I can skip this 12 month $400 service and just do a regular oil change without voiding warranty. The girl at the service desk I spoke to today didn't know much, kept putting me on hold to check with her manager.

I am not planning on keeping this car for too long. Will probably sell it once it hits 3-4 years old. Next car - I will definitely keep cost/intervals of scheduled maintenance in mind.

slidxe wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 7:07 pm
sigh in the same boat, the worst part is the new 2017's say 6 months now instead of 4 months but its the same engine!
Yeah I heard about that. Same exact car basically. Weird thing is my dealership didn't call me when the 4 months were due. They went with the 6 months now. I didn't bother calling them to check why.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20962 posts
1907 upvotes
DIY or go to another garage. Unfortunately the services are required as they will request receipts when you require warranty service.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2632 posts
476 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Depending on your area there are several garages folks regularly mention as good.

Show them the various mtce items needed and have them price it. If good price then get it done there and have them state on invoice Mazda 3 24,000 kms mtce and then list items that should follow official schedule.

Hopefully less cost and have it documented.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3579 posts
839 upvotes
Canuckland
They are not taking anything apart, they are however ripping you off.
Jan 23, 2017
427 posts
251 upvotes
Calgary
OP, do oil, air and cabin filter changes on schedule, Jeff from Mazda of Toronto has even gone on record that he didn't complete the 1YR interval on his CX-5.

Powertrain warranty is what you want to maintain. They cannot void your powertrain warranty because you declined to have a technician inspect your brakes.

I own a 2015 Mazda3 with 46,000kms. Strictly oil changes (and cabin/air filter). Them throwing around the "void your warranty" garbage is a scare tactic, service desk at Mazda of Toronto was terrible for this.
Jun 9, 2011
389 posts
107 upvotes
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 5:34 pm
I own a 2015 Mazda 3 which I bought brand new in the summer of 2015. Vehicle is all paid off.

I got a first call from the dealer regarding scheduled maintenance 4 months after purchase. What the dealer said was 4 months or 8,000 km (which ever comes first). I tried to decline it, since I drive very little (only put up 2,000 km at that point). Dealer said, I have to obide by the Mazda scheduled service or my warranty (3 years comprehensive and 5 years powertrain) would be voided. So I sad fine, paid $60 for oil and filter change (they also got me to do synthetic oil, which I didn't want, their reasoning was it is a new vehicle)

So up to this point, I've done 3 dealer oil changes (every 4 months/8,000 kms). I only have 14,000 km mileage on my car. Today I get a phone call from the dealer saying I am scheduled for a big check up (24,000km check or something like that) which is around $400. They will replace oil, check brakes etc. etc. I told they I'll have to think about it.

I tried to check my manual/warranty/website info and it is all very vague there. I really don't want to do this $400 check but also would rather avoid voiding warranty. I've had the car for almost 2 years now, it's been great, I take really good care of it and stay way under suggested mileage. What do you think I should do? I feel like I am getting ripped off with these constant service appointments where I am way under mileage wise.
$286 for my most recent (November) annual with brake service. They charge 2 hours of labor ($246), oil change package ($35) and a few $ extra for environmental/fluids.
This is for 2013 Mazda3.
Jan 23, 2017
427 posts
251 upvotes
Calgary
Some dealer service departments have frankly become just as bad as Canadian Tire for trying to upsell and fix things that are not broken.
Mazda dealer's love pushing their fuel injection cleaning, alignments, etc.

The main thing turning me off buying Mazda's in the future would be their ridiculous service intervals. 4 months, 8,000kms on synthetic oil is a joke.
They did improve it slightly for 2017 to 6 months, 8,000kms, and despite no powertrain changes it's not retroactive to previous model years, go figure.
Jul 16, 2012
227 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
OKSpring wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 9:28 pm
OP, do oil, air and cabin filter changes on schedule, Jeff from Mazda of Toronto has even gone on record that he didn't complete the 1YR interval on his CX-5.

Powertrain warranty is what you want to maintain. They cannot void your powertrain warranty because you declined to have a technician inspect your brakes.

I own a 2015 Mazda3 with 46,000kms. Strictly oil changes (and cabin/air filter). Them throwing around the "void your warranty" garbage is a scare tactic, service desk at Mazda of Toronto was terrible for this.
great advice. I followed the same advice with my wife's 2014 cx5. only issue I had was when the back pads and rotors needed replacing at 41km (approx. the 2 year mark), they declined my complaint for them to cover part of the cost because I did not do the one year brake service. bums! even with hindsight, I still would not pay for the brake service. just do the engine related maintenance and call it a day!