• Jan 28th, 2016 2:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
178 posts
17 upvotes

Mazda3 hatchback + Trunk bike rack

Looking for a trunk-mounted bike rack on a Mazda3 hatchback - any recommendation other than Thule RaceWay 992?

Would there be an issue mounting it on a hatchback?
Where would be the best place to buy it - is there usually a period where there's sale on bike racks?

Thanks!
5 replies
Jun 9, 2011
459 posts
224 upvotes
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 9:29 pm
Looking for a trunk-mounted bike rack on a Mazda3 hatchback - any recommendation other than Thule RaceWay 992?

Where would be the best place to buy it - is there usually a period where there's sale on bike racks?

Thanks!
I have a Thule 9002XT Raceway, which is basically the same rack, and wouldn't trade it for anything else (except for may be a hitch mounted one). Those ratchets are super convenient, easy to put it up and down when needed. I use it on a sedan, but 5-door is officially supported as well (if you look at youtube videos, you'll see that they mount it to various SUVs with almost a vertical back as well).
Don't forget to strap your bikes to to the bottom part of the rack if using on a highway - I almost destroyed two antisway cradles this way - when you go against a strong wind on highway speeds, it pushes the bottom of the bike away of the car and puts a bit too much pressure on plastic hinge of the antisway cradle.
Your only consideration for hatchback - the rack is pretty heavy, so don't count on the 5th door staying up, and you will have to be very very careful when accessing stuff in the back and using this door with rack on.
Dec 26, 2006
190 posts
100 upvotes
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote:
Jan 27th, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks!
What's your budget? I have a new in box 9003 pro platform that I got over the holidays but we just got a new car with hitch. PM me if interested.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2912 posts
560 upvotes
Vaughan
I was looking at a trunk mounted bike rack before the summer. I ended up buying a hitch mounted one. Cost a bit more, but it seems safer, and less chances of causing damage to your vehicle and/or bike.

You can buy bike racks at pretty much any bike shop, or check online. I bought mine at my local bike shop, but i got $100 off, because i bought my bike there as well. Other than that, rack attack and my bike shop had the same prices.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1083 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
Keep an eye for any of those big box stores sale... I bought a rack from Sportchek last year. There was a national sale + a local store closing sale. They had to order a rack from another store but I got the total of the 2 sales which ended up being 40% off!