Tags:
None
Nov 21, 2015
416 posts
541 upvotes
-37.68611 176.16667
John47 wrote: Good job!
Do you mind sharing :
- do you already have credit with MBNA, and if so, what CL and over how many cards?
- if not, so you have previous history with MBNA?
- how much credit limit over all your credit cards?
merged-how-many-credit-cards-do-you-hav ... #p29241555
^^ my credit card portfolio has changed since this post :)

- been with MBNA (one way or another) since they set up shop in Canada in the late 1990's or early 2000's with $40K limit over a few cards. ... so a long credit history with them. The first credit card I got from them was the Harley-Davidson one, which I just wanted cuz I thought the H-D logo on it was cool. After that, I've been in and out of several of their cards over the years.

- I keep at least 1 MBNA card active (with max $ 500 CL) with them and ditch the rest if the perks start to decline on them, or higher fees start to get imposed with reduced perks. Not too concerned about losing the large CLs on these cards when I cancel since I wouldn't use them anyway.

- Total CL: $139.5K;
- # cards: currently 9 (including the new UNB)
- # MBNA cards: 2 (Smart Card Visa Infinite & UNB); $30.5K limit total
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1537 posts
512 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
dbC00per wrote: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-h ... #p29241555
^^ my credit card portfolio has changed since this post :)

- been with MBNA (one way or another) since they set up shop in Canada in the late 1990's or early 2000's with $40K limit over a few cards. ... so a long credit history with them. The first credit card I got from them was the Harley-Davidson one, which I just wanted cuz I thought the H-D logo on it was cool. After that, I've been in and out of several of their cards over the years.

- I keep at least 1 MBNA card active (with max $ 500 CL) with them and ditch the rest if the perks start to decline on them, or higher fees start to get imposed with reduced perks. Not too concerned about losing the large CLs on these cards when I cancel since I wouldn't use them anyway.

- Total CL: $139.5K;
- # cards: currently 9 (including the new UNB)
- # MBNA cards: 2 (Smart Card Visa Infinite & UNB); $30.5K limit total
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Regarding the bolded part, does that mean that your CL can be down to $500 sometimes, and then when you apply for another MBNA card, they'll go ahead and give you $30K CL limit, probably based on your previous history?

Is this what happened in your most recent case?
Nov 21, 2015
416 posts
541 upvotes
-37.68611 176.16667
John47 wrote: Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Regarding the bolded part, does that mean that your CL can be down to $500 sometimes, and then when you apply for another MBNA card, they'll go ahead and give you $30K CL limit, probably based on your previous history?

Is this what happened in your most recent case?
Before I applied for the UNB, I previously had 2 MBNA cards (Smart Card and 2% Rewards Card) each at $15K limit (total $30K) . I cancelled the Rewards card months ago (because they increased the AF) and dropped the CL for the Smart Card (no fee card) to $500 at the same time as I figured I would not be using it much. Just wanted to keep it open for the aging. This freed up $29.5K credit I used to have with MBNA. So when I applied for the UNB card, I was expecting them to just give me back only $15K CL on that card. They gave me back $30K instead so I was back up to $30K I originally had with 2 MBNA cards (plus the $500 I kept).

It was weird and sorta worked out. Back upto $30K plus another $500 over 2 MBNA cards.
But I'm not complaining. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

edit: Now that interest rates are on the rise, I'll be churning 0%, 1% fee cards alot. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1537 posts
512 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
Great, thanks for answering!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9299 posts
10313 upvotes
Titaniumtux's crafty credit card tricks are sometimes too convoluted for me to follow, but so far I have not regretted following them.

I have applied for the Université de Moncton card. It said "Application received", most assuredly because I have a flag on my credit files, and about two minutes later I received an email saying my application was approved for $5000. Well, that sure was some thorough, quality underwriting. It seems they have some guys in an office somewhere that underwrite Web applications in a minute.

Anyway I will transfer the limit of my RTP after I activate the Moncton card and cancel it.

It's too funny that we can profit from TD's incompetence at updating the TOS for all of its portfolio of esoteric affinity cards.

I can't wait for my wife to scratch her head when I tell her "Honey, check out my cool new Université de Moncton card!!!"
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
What's the TOS for these cards? Code is freely floating here. No control can stop that unless they ask for proof of affiliation with these organizations, lol. :)
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19729 posts
28598 upvotes
Vancouver
So I'm a few months into my latest BT, borrowing $32.4k. I got my latest statement today and was expecting a minimum payment of $324, but it's only $10..? I called up and asked if that was a mistake. Rep was as surprised as I was that it was only $10, but she said that's what it says. I asked her to double check that paying only $10 won't jeopardize my 0% BT promo rate. She said that as long as I pay the minimum amount shown on the statement then I'm good, so enjoy. I will!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2014
1537 posts
512 upvotes
Rouyn-Noranda
I'm at my 3rd statement now since being approved;
after the 1st statement, the next two statements have only asked for $10.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kiraly wrote: So I'm a few months into my latest BT, borrowing $32.4k. I got my latest statement today and was expecting a minimum payment of $324, but it's only $10..? I called up and asked if that was a mistake. Rep was as surprised as I was that it was only $10, but she said that's what it says. I asked her to double check that paying only $10 won't jeopardize my 0% BT promo rate. She said that as long as I pay the minimum amount shown on the statement then I'm good, so enjoy. I will!
John47 wrote: I'm at my 3rd statement now since being approved;
after the 1st statement, the next two statements have only asked for $10.
I've seen that reported in the grandfathered PP thread. Hasn't happened to me yet.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Oct 21, 2017
3 posts
If you apply for one of these cards and include a credit card number with an amount to balance transfer, does any of that hold? I have a $5k MBNA PP that is about to expire, and I got approved for a $2.5k UNB (not as big as what I've seen on this thread haha).

The point is I want to swap my limit of [$5k+$2.5k] to [$0.5k+$7k] before they do anything. My guess is they won't but I want to double check.

Like others said when I applied for the UNB card I was told it was pending and got an email approval a minute later.
Aug 9, 2015
211 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Applied for lakehead 3 weeks ago, never got any confirmation of approval. Finally received the card today.. only got approved $5K for BT... but at least they didn't touch the CL of my other MBNA.

Question, I have $8K remaining with my other MBNA... can I transfer $8K to Lakehead to take advantage of the 0%? If yes, does it have to apply to a CC or i can put the money in my bank account?
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11667 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
mangoCooper wrote: Applied for lakehead 3 weeks ago, never got any confirmation of approval. Finally received the card today.. only got approved $5K for BT... but at least they didn't touch the CL of my other MBNA.

Question, I have $8K remaining with my other MBNA... can I transfer $8K to Lakehead to take advantage of the 0%? If yes, does it have to apply to a CC or i can put the money in my bank account?
Yes you can transfer limit from one card to another, and yes you can deposit into a bank account instead of balance transfer to creditors.
MBNA is one of the few to still offer this.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
960 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Krop18 wrote: If you apply for one of these cards and include a credit card number with an amount to balance transfer, does any of that hold? I have a $5k MBNA PP that is about to expire, and I got approved for a $2.5k UNB (not as big as what I've seen on this thread haha).

The point is I want to swap my limit of [$5k+$2.5k] to [$0.5k+$7k] before they do anything. My guess is they won't but I want to double check.

Like others said when I applied for the UNB card I was told it was pending and got an email approval a minute later.
If you included a credit card balance transfer on the application, it will only be up to $2500.

Multiple transfers are allowed, as long as they are within the first 90 days. You can call them to add the other $4500 credit limit, then do another balance transfer online. You will have 2 transfers with different expiry dates.

For future reference, never request a transfer on the application. The 10 month clock starts on the date you request the transfer, but when requested with the app you won't actually receive the transfer until the account is open. In other words you waste 2-3 weeks of your 10 months.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I have an mbna platinum plus card with a 13K limit which I got over a year ago for a 0% BT promotion.
I paid off the BT when it became due and have started to use this as a regular CC for now.

Seems every few months I get a 0%/12 months BT offer with a 3% fee.
I wondered if those offers normally continue at some reasonable predictable rate.
Reason is that I moved some of the funds to a Visa 0% BT that is due in May 2019 and I may want to use the mbna BT offer at that time to pay off the Visa BT.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Got approved for 20K on the 12 month 0% card last year, paid it off a few months ago on the 12th month and have not used it since.

In need of another balance transfer now, applied for Lakehead 0% and....

My credit score is 800+
All cards always fully paid off no balances
Thank you for your Lakehead University Platinum Plus® Mastercard® credit card application

Applicant: XXXXX
Credit Application Status: Received and Pending

Thank you for your Lakehead University Platinum Plus® Mastercard® credit card application. Your application form was received, but we are unable to provide a decision at this time.

A credit analyst is reviewing your credit card application and may be in contact within 10 to 15 business days regarding any additional information that is required to complete your request. We thank you for your interest in MBNA and the Lakehead University Platinum Plus® Mastercard® credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
Are they getting "sticky" now?

I applied for a relatively small increase ($ 5000.) to my current limit three or four days ago - haven't heard boo since.

Makes me want to do business with mbna less and less.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
BengaliPrince wrote: Got approved for 20K on the 12 month 0% card last year, paid it off a few months ago on the 12th month and have not used it since.

In need of another balance transfer now, applied for Lakehead 0% and....

My credit score is 800+
All cards always fully paid off no balances
Just call them 2-3 days following your online application. They will then likely approve you for a small amount (ie, $3000). When you get the card in the mail, activate it and ask that they cancel your older cart with $20K credit available and move the credit available to the new card (ie $23,000 after changes). Then start your new Balance Transfer.

Same scenario happened with me.

djino
Mar 14, 2015
180 posts
61 upvotes
Montreal, QC
buddshek wrote: Same here, then approval email 5 minute's later.
i even once got the message that i was denied for the card only to receive a confirmation e-mail of an approval 15 minutes later, so go figure how it works !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)