• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2005 11:01 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 18, 2005
475 posts
7 upvotes

MBNA credit cards

Got an offer in the mail for pre-approved MBNA Plantium plus card with 9.99% APR, but no other benefits...is this card worth applying? Capital One has 6.99% APR one I think. What is the usual credit limit for MBNA plantium credit cards?
Also, i have an offer from CIBC AeroGold as well with 10,000 bonus aeroplan miles....but there is $120 annual fee which I really don't like. Try to decide between these two....
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
newbeetle wrote:Got an offer in the mail for pre-approved MBNA Plantium plus card with 9.99% APR, but no other benefits...is this card worth applying? Capital One has 6.99% APR one I think. What is the usual credit limit for MBNA plantium credit cards?
Also, i have an offer from CIBC AeroGold as well with 10,000 bonus aeroplan miles....but there is $120 annual fee which I really don't like. Try to decide between these two....
obviously it would depend on your spending.. and the mbna card is no good
theres already reviews for no fee credit card rewards.. not sure why you're comparing these two
Jul 18, 2005
475 posts
7 upvotes
philelmo wrote:obviously it would depend on your spending.. and the mbna card is no good
theres already reviews for no fee credit card rewards.. not sure why you're comparing these two
The reason why i am comparing these two because I recently received those two offers. one is low rate and the other has 10,000 bonus aeroplan miles, while the normal bonus points are only 5000..I would like to get a low rate credit card just in case i need to borrow money and the 10,000 bonus points are so tempting.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
newbeetle wrote:Got an offer in the mail for pre-approved MBNA Plantium plus card with 9.99% APR, but no other benefits...is this card worth applying? Capital One has 6.99% APR one I think. What is the usual credit limit for MBNA plantium credit cards?
the mbna card is no good for sure, unless you carry a big balance. the 10000 pt promotion is good, but the card is not as good as the avion and it's promotions.. you don't get renewal points for aerogold either.. But people fly air canada internationally often, so they like it.
Jul 18, 2005
475 posts
7 upvotes
philelmo wrote:the mbna card is no good for sure, unless you carry a big balance. the 10000 pt promotion is good, but the card is not as good as the avion and it's promotions.. you don't get renewal points for aerogold either.. But people fly air canada internationally often, so they like it.
avion only offer the renewal points for the first renewal, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
newbeetle wrote:avion only offer the renewal points for the first renewal, right?
no, it's 5000 first year (dunno if the promotion ended or not)

2500 every year after..
Mar 6, 2005
194 posts
Pre-approved does not mean pre-approved. Platinum cards are usually a $10k+ limit i think, which they wont give you unless you make $60k+ / year. If you made that much money, then chances are you wouldnt be deciding between mbna and capitol one.
Mar 5, 2005
575 posts
360 upvotes
I prefer CIBC Dividend card. No fee and you get a real credit on your Visa. I think its like 1% of what you spend.

Last year I used it for my business trips etc and got a $600 credit on my Visa at year end.

I tired of points and loyalty programs. $600 credit is good for anything and comes in handy after XMAS.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
fortunat wrote:I prefer CIBC Dividend card. No fee and you get a real credit on your Visa. I think its like 1% of what you spend.

Last year I used it for my business trips etc and got a $600 credit on my Visa at year end.

I tired of points and loyalty programs. $600 credit is good for anything and comes in handy after XMAS.
you should read the rewards review.. cibc is NOT 1%.. not even close in fact.. try the citi enrich
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
fortunat wrote:I prefer CIBC Dividend card. No fee and you get a real credit on your Visa. I think its like 1% of what you spend.

its not 1% unless you spend more than 10,000 with the regular card (e.g. its like 0.25% for first 5,000, then 0.5% etc...) only on amounts after 10,000(i think, maybe more) is it 1% for regular dividend.

if you managed $600 on regular dividend card, you could've gotten much much better rewards with a different card.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2692 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:its not 1% unless you spend more than 10,000 with the regular card (e.g. its like 0.25% for first 5,000, then 0.5% etc...) only on amounts after 10,000(i think, maybe more) is it 1% for regular dividend.
no need to guess gilbo (you were way off ;) )

* Tier one - 0.25% for amounts up to $1,500.
* Tier two - 0.50% for amounts $1,500.01 to $3,000.
* Tier three - 1% for amounts over $3,000.

http://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/dividend/dividend-ftrs.html