• Apr 22nd, 2012 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 5, 2006
145 posts
Richmond Hill
it is a scam for sure.....i got the same letter with the same 1800 number,

it said:

"thank you for applying for the mbna canada mastercard credit card. we are making every effort to approve your application. as part of our commitment to enhanced security, customer identification, privacy, and fraud protection, we need to confirm some basic security information with you"

i didn't apply for any credit card with them...
Aug 31, 2008
512 posts
168 upvotes
Barrie
plugpull wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2009 12:05 am
it is a scam for sure.....i got the same letter with the same 1800 number,

it said:

"thank you for applying for the mbna canada mastercard credit card. we are making every effort to approve your application. as part of our commitment to enhanced security, customer identification, privacy, and fraud protection, we need to confirm some basic security information with you"

i didn't apply for any credit card with them...
This is different type of letter than the rest of us are getting...I certainly agree with you, sounds like phishing.

As I said in previous post, they apparently approved some cards around a year ago that they now are asking more details from their clients. I refused to go to the Post Office, even if the CSR said, "it is such a simple process."

I just decided that since I had not even been using that particular card,that I would apply for another 0 percent card, since my one other MBNA CC (which I did not receive a letter about) with a 0 percent BT rate was coming due, that way I avoided having to follow through with what the letter asked for. Closed the card that I received the letter about!
Aug 31, 2008
512 posts
168 upvotes
Barrie
excel wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2009 1:59 am
It is a legit letter, they messed up in the verification of your identity...do as you please in terms of your response. The card will eventually be canceled if you do nothing and the balance if any becomes due immediately (according to MBNA rep). I received one of those letters but mine was slightly different.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1685 posts
58 upvotes
Yes the postal clerk verified my id. Hope to get my 0% card sometime in the next two weeks as stated on the letter. :razz:
Jul 31, 2009
22 posts
Toronto
Hey I got a letter too, it told me to call 1.888.842.6932. I called and talked to the CSR, but than he wanted me to fax him my bank account statement with name, address "and" account number.

I understand they need my name and address to verify it's really me, but my bank account number? Is this legit?

Fax number he gave me was 1.877.793.6709

Thanks.
Oct 8, 2009
1 posts
Ottawa
After speaking to MBNA Customer service and being escalated to someone that could help (I used the phone number on the back of my card) I was told that due to new credit card legislation released last year that in some cases they now need to collect ID information as part of the application process and this ID needs to be verified in person. Other banks use their branches but since MBNA doesn't have branches, they partnered with Canada Post. I have a friend at Canada Post and he tells me that its a new service that they launched to help banks that don't have branches like MBNA. I just wish someone at MBNA could explain all this too me when I called the first time.

JP
Aug 31, 2008
512 posts
168 upvotes
Barrie
JPOST wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 6:42 pm
After speaking to MBNA Customer service and being escalated to someone that could help (I used the phone number on the back of my card) I was told that due to new credit card legislation released last year that in some cases they now need to collect ID information as part of the application process and this ID needs to be verified in person. Other banks use their branches but since MBNA doesn't have branches, they partnered with Canada Post. I have a friend at Canada Post and he tells me that its a new service that they launched to help banks that don't have branches like MBNA. I just wish someone at MBNA could explain all this too me when I called the first time.

JP
What is interesting is that I had two cards, they were only concerned with verifying my I.D. on one of the accounts. Too much hassle, so I close that account and open a new one combining the limits of both cards. No more letters!
Sep 9, 2005
669 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
JPOST wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 6:42 pm

JP
What new legislation? The US recently enacted new credit card legislation with the remainder to be enforced in early 2010, but as far as I know the Canadian legislation hasn't even passed yet, let alone last year.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1823 posts
1 upvote
Salinger wrote:
Oct 9th, 2009 7:18 pm
What new legislation? The US recently enacted new credit card legislation with the remainder to be enforced in early 2010, but as far as I know the Canadian legislation hasn't even passed yet, let alone last year.
Yes it has. The legislation beefs up FINTRAC's mandate, which is to prevent and catch money laundering and terrorist financing activities.

http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/publica ... 01-eng.asp

This has nothing to do with the bills before the House and Senate regarding credit card rules and clients' rights.
Sep 9, 2005
669 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
The poster said that MBNA called it "new credit card legislation".

The money laundering legislation has elements (naturally) of ways credit card payments may be used to launder money, but I don't think it would be reasonably called "credit card legislation" any more than a new drunk driving bill would be called new "car legislation".
[OP]
Aug 15, 2006
816 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
So we did not reply to the first letter. Now they have sent another letter. In the first letter they had threatened to cancel the card. So what happened? I am not giving the info to anyone.

I guess they are sending out a whole slough of letters now....
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4760 posts
404 upvotes
Regardless despite having 1 post JPOST is pretty much telling the truth.

At BMO people who have missing ID are being asked to come in when their card is renewed or replaced. Basically when a replcement card is sent out and the ID requirements are not met, a block will be placed so they cannot activate it over the phone or online. Once in the branch we have to reverify/update the missing ID and then release the card for normal activation.
Mei Yee wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 2:44 am
So we did not reply to the first letter. Now they have sent another letter. In the first letter they had threatened to cancel the card. So what happened? I am not giving the info to anyone.

I guess they are sending out a whole slough of letters now....
I think they may probably send up to 3 letters just incase the first couple did not reach you. Then eventually cancel the card.
Dec 30, 2007
73 posts
Markham
Reading this thread got me scared...

Like I said in the Smart cash thread, I just got a call from MBNA yesterday saying my card was approved. But before they release my card, they needed a piece of ID from me and told me to fax it in along with a reference number they gave me.

After I read this thread I looked up the numbers they called me from (1-613-742-3500) and the fax # they gave me (1-877-813-6402) and I couldn't find either of them on the MBNA site.

So I held off on it... Not sure what to do about it now, maybe I'm paranoid because this is my first time applying for a cc. Help? :o
Jul 29, 2009
895 posts
14 upvotes
Ryuu wrote:
Oct 15th, 2009 2:13 pm
Reading this thread got me scared...

Like I said in the Smart cash thread, I just got a call from MBNA yesterday saying my card was approved. But before they release my card, they needed a piece of ID from me and told me to fax it in along with a reference number they gave me.

After I read this thread I looked up the numbers they called me from (1-613-742-3500) and the fax # they gave me (1-877-813-6402) and I couldn't find either of them on the MBNA site.

So I held off on it... Not sure what to do about it now, maybe I'm paranoid because this is my first time applying for a cc. Help? :o
Well, the 877 number is definately one they use .. http://www.mbna.com/canada/eds/eds_goldresrv_eng.pdf
× < >