Expired Hot Deals

MBNA - Premier Rewards Platinum Plus, no annual fee - 1% cashback (not tiered)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2009 11:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 17, 2007
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

MBNA - Premier Rewards Platinum Plus, no annual fee - 1% cashback (not tiered)

Here is how it works:
1. Go to www.mbna.com/canada/
2. Sign up for any card that does not have an annual fee
3. Get the card in the mail, call to activate it
4. Immediatley call back and ask to cancel it
5. They will transfer you to retention, just straight up tell them you want a credit card with platinum benefits and 1% cash back with no annual fee.
6. They will say, ok!, and send you the card

The benefit with this card is that the 1% is not tiered. You get 1% cashback on the first dollar you spend. The platinum benefits, such as free rental car insurance are also quite nice.

Existing MBNA card holders can get this retention card as well.
589 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 1, 2006
548 posts
1 upvote
Can't you just call in and ask for it in the first place?
Sr. Member
Nov 16, 2004
962 posts
12 upvotes
[quote="Spooter" post_id="6701343" time="1208280335" user_id="121242"]
The benefit with this card is that the 1% is not tiered. You get 1% cashback on the first dollar you spend. The platinum benefits, such as free rental car insurance are also quite nice.

QUOTE]

Is this benefit exactly like the CITIBANK MC one ??
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 17, 2007
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
QUOTE]

Is this benefit exactly like the CITIBANK MC one ??[/QUOTE]


No the CITIBANK Enrich Card is inferior. Here's why:

1. No platinum benefits (like auto insurance)
2. They cap your 1% bonus at $250 a year.
3. CitiBank card carries a higher rate of interest (for those who are irresponsible)


QUOTE]

Can't you just call and ask for it?QUOTE]

Sure can't, not without paying an annual fee.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
171 upvotes
How come I can't find CITI enrich card on there canadian site?? Can anyone send me the link?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 14, 2003
4591 posts
245 upvotes
Burnaby
lol you do know you can get the platinum version of the citi card right? :lol:
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...


References: eBay Feedback
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
171 upvotes
Ok, so I can MBNA and they have approve me over the phone with a limit of 10K.,.. which is way too much...
Sr. Member
Jan 30, 2006
620 posts
34 upvotes
[quote]

lol you do know you can get the platinum version of the citi card right? :lol: [/QUOTE]

exactly. That's what I have, all you need is to qualify for the enrich with a limit of more than something like 6k and then call them to upgrade. The 1% maxes at $500 on the platinum, don't think I'll be spending 50k on my card.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
1238 posts
26 upvotes
Windsor
wiresncode wrote: exactly. That's what I have, all you need is to qualify for the enrich with a limit of more than something like 6k and then call them to upgrade. The 1% maxes at $500 on the platinum, don't think I'll be spending 50k on my card.
+1 for the Citi Enrich Platinum card. It's nice having the extended warranty feature as well.
Member
Jul 13, 2004
380 posts
93 upvotes
the MBNA card also has the extended warranty feature as well.
4 main features of the card:

1. extra year warranty on purchases
2. free car rental insurnace on rentals
3. 1% cash back non-tiered
4. no fees
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
171 upvotes
Fishing wrote: the MBNA card also has the extended warranty feature as well.
4 main features of the card:

1. extra year warranty on purchases
2. free car rental insurnace on rentals
3. 1% cash back non-tiered
4. no fees
These are the feature i need! Time to cancel all my CIBC/RBC card!
Jr. Member
Mar 12, 2007
141 posts
3 upvotes
THINKPADT61 wrote: These are the feature i need! Time to cancel all my CIBC/RBC card!
will it affect the credit score if cancel the cibc/rbc visa?
Member
Aug 1, 2006
361 posts
43 upvotes
If I have this exact card already, any chance of getting this deal? I pay $25 annually but my cash back more than covers it. I'd still like to save another $25 if I could. If I called in, they would probably tell me I benefit from it already so would they still knock off the fee?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4160 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ttff wrote: will it affect the credit score if cancel the cibc/rbc visa?
Yes.

Note, YMMV, because there's nothing stopping the CSR from rejecting your request (or giving you something else), or even going "okay" and then cancelling your card.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
1238 posts
26 upvotes
Windsor
shibbyguy wrote: If I have this exact card already, any chance of getting this deal? I pay $25 annually but my cash back more than covers it. I'd still like to save another $25 if I could. If I called in, they would probably tell me I benefit from it already so would they still knock off the fee?
Just tell them you'll switch to the Citi Enrich Platinum card if they won't.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)