• Oct 25th, 2018 12:56 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham

MBNA Rewards Travel Platinum Plus MC

Seeing that this is a pretty good card (2% cashback, no annual fee, able to redeem once cb reaches $50) and is gaining steam in another thread, I will make a thread for it instead of being off-topic in the MBNA Rewards World Elite thread. Do note that this card is DIFFERENT than the normal MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus card, which the MBNA reps ALMOST gets confused with every time. There is two versions of this card, one with an $89 annual fee, and one is the invited/converted version which is no annual fee.

The only way to get the no annual fee version is through converting, and it is not EASY to convert at all thanks to all the MBNA reps (not letting you convert because the card is invite-only, does not exist, card has been discontinued, it's a world card, you are not qualified, you suck [ok made that one up lol], blah blah blah), though call a number of times and you should be able to convert. BE READY FOR A FIGHT. After converting you lose the points you collected from your previous card, so you should redeem all your points first before converting (NOTE: From what I heard some reps MAY convert your points when converting...YMMV, but u should not test your luck if they are not willing to).

The only way to get this card now is through the RWE application, and MBNA does not approve you for the RWE. The no annual fee version is grandfathered, and new card holders cannot get it anymore.

To get the $89 annual fee version (you get FYF), apply here, but only on the condition that you did not get approved for the RWE:
MBNA wrote:You understand that this constitutes an application for both a World Elite Account (“World Elite Account”) and a Platinum Plus Travel Account (“Platinum Plus Account”). If your application for a World Elite Account is not approved, then this application shall be considered as your request and consent to the opening of a Platinum Plus Account.
Link: https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationform/legal.htm

How it works: You get 2 points per dollar, and it will be rounded up and down depending on the number of points (>0.50 points = round up), not the dollar value. Eg: $2.69 will be 5.38 points, which will be rounded down to 5 points. $5.48 will be 10.96 points, which will be rounded up to 11 points. So yes, if you want the max return, always make sure the points that you get after multiplying the spending by 2 is more than or equal to 0.50 points. (Eg: $XX.25, XX.30, XX.40, XX.75, XX.90)

The RTP is basically the same as the MBNA Rewards World Elite (2 points per $1) except you dont get price protection and concierge, which is sort of the same situation with the MBNA Smart Cash Platinum Plus vs the World version. This card also does not have an annual fee and annoying redeeming tiers compare to the Cap One Aspire Travel World (expense has to be travel related, 15k miles for $150, cannot reach the next level till you have 30k miles where for this card you will be able to redeem every $50) , but if you need the travel insurance, I would suggest you get the Cap One instead (Card is grandfathered and became the Aspire Travel World Elite which sucks).

Platinum Plus benefits: https://www.mbna.ca/credit-cards/card-b ... /index.jsp

NOTE #1 (23/08): As this thread is still new, everything/anything above are subject to change.

NOTE #2 (23/08): Credit to burrows, barricuda and brucele (Killer B's! :D )

NOTE #3 (01/10): The rep may tell you that the card has been discontinued. Doesn't look like it's completely true. Try to call a few more times.

NOTE #4 (21/10): This card has been grandfathered as of Oct 6th, BUT you can still try your luck and see if you can get it. MBNA = YMMV after all.

NOTE #5 (02/05): A number of Rewards Travel cardholders have been getting invites for the MBNA Rewards World Elite. Check your special offers page! Screenshot: mbna-rewards-travel-platinum-plus-mc-gr ... st16752049

NOTE #6 (28/07): You can apply for the card here now, but only if you don't get accepted for the RWE. Link here

NOTE #6 (20/10): New link to apply (as stated above, you will only get RTP if you don't get approved for RWE): here
2082 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3361 posts
1108 upvotes
angel:

I have the SC World and want this as well. How do I go about doing that? Will I have to give up the SC World?
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
agent86 wrote: angel:

I have the SC World and want this as well. How do I go about doing that? Will I have to give up the SC World?
If you are going to convert from SC world, then yes you'll have to give that up.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3361 posts
1108 upvotes
Gonna hold off for a bit then. I want both.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1891 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
This is getting confusing..

so MBNA reward is 1% CB
MBNA travel reward is 2% CB
and MBNA SC is 1%/3% CB?

Last month I've averaged 1.91% CB on my SC plat, so this might be interesting for me

edit, so far this month i'm averaging 2.55% CB. I've just started re-using my SC middle of last month, so I'll make some more calculation, but thanks OP.
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Bomberman07 wrote: This is getting confusing..

so MBNA reward is 1% CB
MBNA travel reward is 2% CB
and MBNA SC is 1%/3% CB?

Last month I've averaged 1.91% CB on my SC plat, so this might be interesting for me
It's not really confusing tbh... :lol:

correct, but MBNA SC only get 3% CB on gas/groceries, and only up to $600 spend per month (= max $30 cb)
Jul 25, 2007
807 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome thread, now all the info can be kept in one place for this card :)
agent86 wrote: Gonna hold off for a bit then. I want both.
I guess if you really wanted to, you could do it in 2 steps? First apply for a MBNA Rewards 1%, then wait a bit and you can call them and convert it to a Travel Rewards 2%? That way you can keep you SC
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
epiphano wrote: For the record, the original tread for this card is here:

new-mbna-worldpoints-mc-cards-no-fee-if ... k-1100701/
travel rewards to rewards travel. As expected from MBNA...lol

But on a serious note, I shouldnt have cancelled my MBNA SPG and let MBNA convert me to the World Elite instead...sigh.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1891 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
If I convert my MBNA SC plat to the MBNA Travel Rewards plat, does my credit card number change? I really wonder because usually MBNA does not convert they force you to reapply and since I have this card since 06, it's good on my credit report.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1156 posts
886 upvotes
Waterloo
angel_wing0 wrote: This card also has an advantage as it allows you to credit your cashback against your cc balance unlike the Smart Cash where you have to wait for a cheque. This card also does not have annual fee and redeeming tiers (15k miles for $150, cannot reach the next level till you have 30k miles where for this card you will be able to redeem every $50) compare to the Cap One Aspire World, but if you need the travel insurance, I would suggest you get the Cap One instead.
I have the mbna rewards World Elite but with an $89 annual fee (10,000 points bonus for first year). The card Rewards Travel Platinum Plus is missing the two items you note and access to exclusive MasterCard Offers and Experiences website (never went in there until today).

As you mention, the ability to get your cash back is fantastic with this card. Not only can you get a bill credit, you can get a cheque mailed or a direct deposit to your account (not automatic). These options are available at starting at 5000 points ($50). The lack of tiers and straight 2% makes it my top choice.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3361 posts
1108 upvotes
Bomberman07 wrote: If I convert my MBNA SC plat to the MBNA Travel Rewards plat, does my credit card number change? I really wonder because usually MBNA does not convert they force you to reapply and since I have this card since 06, it's good on my credit report.
Yes, your number will change.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1891 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
agent86 wrote: Yes, your number will change.
Ok thanks for the info, this card might be the way to go for me since I don't really qualify for any world version (only 46k gross income)
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
Stranger wrote: I have the mbna rewards World Elite but with an $89 annual fee (10,000 points bonus for first year). The card Rewards Travel Platinum Plus is missing the two items you note and access to exclusive MasterCard Offers and Experiences website (never went in there until today).
I see, i wonder if the SC World has access to those as well, mind providing the website link? Thanks.
Aug 10, 2008
404 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
angel_wing0 wrote: You can only get this card through converting, and it is not EASY to convert at all thanks to all the MBNA reps, though call a few more times and you should be able to convert.
What does it mean to convert to this card?
I have the old SC MBNA card, does converting mean giving up to get this card?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1156 posts
886 upvotes
Waterloo
angel_wing0 wrote: I see, i wonder if the SC World has access to those as well, mind providing the website link? Thanks.
mbna rewards World Elite https://www.managerewardsonline.bankofa ... p/benefits

Looks like Smart Cash World https://www.managerewardsonline.bankofa ... mc=SMCAWCN does have the Price Protection and Concierge services, thought you'd only get 1% on transactions where you want to take advantage of those vs. rewards World Elite.

I just called to switch to Rewards Travel Platinum Plus from Rewards World Elite so that I can save the $89 annual fee attached to my card. I wasn't worried about Price Protection or Concierge or the Mastercard Website specials. Instead of doing that the rep just waived my $89 annual fee for as long as I carry the card! So I'm now in the same category as those who held their SPG card through the change and jumped for the upgrade. I couldn't be happier I grabbed this card in January in lieu of my Amex CB (which was tiered).

Of note, I've spent quite heavily on the card since January. I'n not sure if that factored into their decision or not but it was a short call and simple process.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
sctfung wrote: What does it mean to convert to this card?
I have the old SC MBNA card, does converting mean giving up to get this card?
yes.
Stranger wrote: *snip*
oh i think u got the wrong idea, i m actually referring to the MasterCard Offers and Experiences website link. I know the SC World has concierge and price protection. :D
Aug 6, 2012
200 posts
75 upvotes
Just wondering, after you covert smart cash this card, would I be able to sign up for a smart cash card after? So technically still get the 3% and maybe a sign up bonus again.
Mar 23, 2004
47725 posts
13890 upvotes
Markham
enivree wrote: Just wondering, after you covert smart cash this card, would I be able to sign up for a smart cash card after? So technically still get the 3% and maybe a sign up bonus again.
yes u can.
Aug 6, 2012
200 posts
75 upvotes
Does the points I have in smart cash now transfer to the new card or I should cash out before converting?
Thanks for the help!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)