Personal Finance

MBNA Rewards World Elite MC: New card design!! (04/2016)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2016 9:56 pm
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33203 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham

MBNA Rewards World Elite MC: New card design!! (04/2016)

Current:

Before 2016/04:

Before you go "HEY WHY ARE U MAKING ANOTHER THREAD OF THIS CARD OMFGWTFBBQ", yes I know there's already a thread for this card here, but a LOAD of questions have been asked about this card lately since the Travel Rewards Platinum ppl are getting their invites. This thread is for information and any useful questions that were answered will be put on to here and will be updated on a daily basis. So let's get to it!

About Rewards World Elite (RWE)
So first of all, the Rewards World Elite, similar to the MBNA Rewards Travel Platinum MC (aka RTP), is a straight 2% CB card without tiers and no caps. You get 2 points per $1, and you can redeem $50 against your current balance owing once you get to 5000 points (or you can request a cheque/donation/travel/bank deposit, etc). Also, once you reach 5000 points, you can redeem every 100 points (Can redeem at 5100, 5200, 5X00 instead of 5000, 6000). Every point will be rounded up and down depending on the number of points earned (>0.50 points = round up), not the dollar value. Eg: $2.69 will be 5.38 points, which will be rounded down to 5 points. $5.48 will be 10.96 points, which will be rounded up to 11 points. So yes, if you want the max return, always make sure the points that you get after multiplying the spending by 2 is more than or equal to 0.50 points. (Eg: $XX.25, XX.30, XX.40, XX.75, XX.90). There are two versions of this card: one with no annual fee (cardholders invited/called for upgrade), and one with FYF, $89 annual fee after (new applications) with more information below. You will get a bonus 10000 points (= $100) after the first use of this card. The no annual fee version is grandfathered and MBNA has not converted any card to that since 2014.

Difference between RWE and RTP
So how is the RWE better than the RTP? The RWE has concierge service and price protection up to $500 (and of course, it looks MUCH COOLER than the RTP :D ).

History of the card
This card has an interesting history. It began as the defunct MBNA SPG MC. It got converted to the MBNA Travel Rewards Elite MC when SPG decided to ditch MBNA and team up with AMEX instead. The card later got converted to the MBNA Worldpoints World MC because MBNA decided to end the Travel Rewards program on the Travel Rewards Elite MC. Lastly (or most recently in 2012), MBNA decided to do a name change (and upgrade from World to World Elite), and this is what we have now: the MBNA Rewards World Elite MC.

So how do I get the no annual fee version of this card?
As mentioned above, MBNA has not send out invites for the no annual fee version of this card since 2014.

I guess that's what everybody wants to know about right? As of last OP edit date, there are three ways in getting this card: (1) You need to have the normal Regular MBNA Rewards, and you need to meet one of these three requirements: make over 70K annually, have 120K household income, or have 25K annual spend on your card. And lastly, with some luck, you will get an invite from MBNA to upgrade to the RWE. NOTE: This card has not received an invite for a while and it has been confirmed by a Loyalty Department Manager that this card will not be getting invites AT ALL, so proceed at your own risk. (2) You need to have the RTP, meet the same above three requirements along with some luck, MBNA will send you an invite for you to upgrade to the RTE. (3) The card is now open for normal applications here with an $89 annual fee (waived for first year), with $100 bonus after the first purchase. Do note that MBNA will send you the RTP if you do not qualify for the RWE. As for converting, MBNA reps/loyalty department WILL NOT CONVERT any card to the RWE no matter how hard you try/threaten to cancel (although there are a few cases which they were able to, so YMMV. However more than 90% of the time they will say no). There are also no indications that other MBNA cards (MBNA SC Platinum/SC World, etc) are getting invites to upgrade to this RWE.

Invitation Location
You will need to go to the card member page (not MBNA Online). Once logged in, click on the special offers tab. If you are going through MBNA Online, you will need to go to the rewards tab, click on the Exclusive Offers image to access your card member page. Here is a link of a screenshot of where you should go once you are in your card member page:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mbna-rew ... st16752049

Useful information

Application page: https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationform/g ... cale=en_CA

GCR Application - $60 CB: http://www.***********************/deta ... rld-Elite/

World Card Benefits: https://www.mbna.ca/credit-cards/card-b ... /index.jsp

So that's all for now, and you bet the OP will be updated once I receive any new information! As usual, please let me know if I am missing anything, and suggestions are always welcomed.

NOTE #1 (11/05/2013): Everyone who received an invite and converted recently should see their number and account name updated as well as their 10k bonus points (if you made a purchase during the week of conversion) on MBNA Online Access now!!

NOTE #2 (21/05/2013): Cards have officially arrived for the first wave of RTP invites!!

NOTE #3 (26/07/2013): You can officially apply for the card now. However you might end up with the RTP if you did not qualify for the RWE.

NOTE #4 (30/09/2014): It seems you can now request the cashback to be deposited into your bank account, as well as being able to redeem every 100 points ($1) once you have reach the 5000 ($50) mark. Refer to here and here (Note: Images show SmartCash which is likely a MBNA error).

NOTE #5 (07/10/2014): You can apply for the card again, and it seems there is no more FYF.

NOTE #6 (18/10/2014): Do not redeem your CB through direct bank deposit. A number of users are not able to get the money deposited into their account. Seems like it's working properly now after a long delay.

NOTE #7 (26/05/2015): Seems like FYF is back again.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
3445 replies
Apr 26, 2003
369 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
Awesome! I've been trying to get an upgrade for a while and your post reminded me to check the special offers again. New card is on the way :)

If I want my parents to get the same card, would it be worth it for them to apply for the regular 1% MBNA Rewards with the hope for an upgrade offer? Or will the free Elite not be offered for new regular cardholders?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
6639 posts
1558 upvotes
OMV wrote:
May 4th, 2013 9:49 pm
If I want my parents to get the same card, would it be worth it for them to apply for the regular 1% MBNA Rewards with the hope for an upgrade offer?
That's pretty much the only way, and there's no guarantee you'll get an offer.

Also, you won't get an offer online unless you already have an MBNA Rewards card and make over 70K annually, have 120K household income, or have a 25K annual spend. Additionally, your Rewards MC account must be updated (in the employment section of your online profile) to indicate that you meet one of those requirements. So, if you actually make 80K a year and MBNA (or you) don't have that listed for your Rewards MC account (maybe 60K is listed instead, for example), then you won't get an invite.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33203 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
^ should add that on the op, thanks
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Sep 17, 2012
46 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
they've been building a lot of hype around this card, I guess they're ready to reveal it to the public soon
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33203 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
actually the card had existed for quite sometime, it's just hard to get though.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2349 posts
356 upvotes
I have a couple of questions about this card:
1. Is the 2% rewards on spending at any vendor?
2. I see that there are no tiers so I guess this means that there is no limit on rewards?
3. Do the rewards have to be redeemed for travel or can they be redeemed as "cash"? Sorry if this is a dumb question but this isn't exactly clear to me.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33203 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
choclover wrote:
May 5th, 2013 1:59 am
I have a couple of questions about this card:
1. Is the 2% rewards on spending at any vendor?
2. I see that there are no tiers so I guess this means that there is no limit on rewards?
3. Do the rewards have to be redeemed for travel or can they be redeemed as "cash"? Sorry if this is a dumb question but this isn't exactly clear to me.

(1) and (2) yes.

(3) Stupid question indeed! (I kid I kid :D ) Plain cash back, no stupid categories whatsoever.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
May 11, 2012
101 posts
3 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Sorry this might be a silly question:

I have a rewards travel platinum plus which offers the 2 percent rebate and etc with no fees. Is it worth it to upgrade tote world elite? Don't see any differences besides the rtpp offering extended warranty protection free.

Thx
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2349 posts
356 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:10 am
(1) and (2) yes.

(3) Stupid question indeed! (I kid I kid :D ) Plain cash back, no stupid categories whatsoever.
Thanks for your response.

I am surprised about your response to (3). The term "travel" card is slightly misleading.

So, a few more questions then:
(4) how does one go about redeeming the cash back?
(5) Does MBNA send you a cheque?
(6) Are redemptions automatic at $50 like other MBNA cards or do you have to request?
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33203 posts
2139 upvotes
Markham
anthonykim wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:17 am
Sorry this might be a silly question:

I have a rewards travel platinum plus which offers the 2 percent rebate and etc with no fees. Is it worth it to upgrade tote world elite? Don't see any differences besides the rtpp offering extended warranty protection free.

Thx
Umm, that card is mentioned on the OP already. You dont need to explain it again :D Anyway back to your question: Why not? You get $100 for just upgrading...if you get the invite that is.
choclover wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:18 am
Thanks for your response.

I am surprised about your response to (3). The term "travel" card is slightly misleading.

So, a few more questions then:
(4) how does one go about redeeming the cash back?
(5) Does MBNA send you a cheque?
(6) Are redemptions automatic at $50 like other MBNA cards or do you have to request?
I have never call this a travel card, so i dont know what u are referring to.

Card member's page. Yes u can request a cheque, but of course it's much better to apply it against the amount owing. You have to request yourself.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2349 posts
356 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:20 am
I have never call this a travel card, so i dont know what u are referring to.
Not sure where I picked that up. Clearly, I'm confused. Thanks for correcting me.
Feb 18, 2004
646 posts
96 upvotes
An MBNA rep I talked to told me that the system "sweeps" all RTP accounts in May and November every year and sends out invites to cardholders who qualify for upgrades. That explains why so many of you lucky souls got the invites recently. sooo jealous... :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
6639 posts
1558 upvotes
choclover wrote:
May 5th, 2013 2:31 am
Not sure where I picked that up. Clearly, I'm confused. Thanks for correcting me.
The Platinum Plus version of this card does have "Travel" as part of its name. You can redeem for Travel Rewards if you wish with the RTPP or Rewards World Elite, but, for most of us, cash is king. You can also redeem for gift certificates and items from the online Rewards store.

No one has ever mentioned if there are ever any deals to be had in the Rewards store or from choosing Travel rewards instead of cash back. I've only ever chosen cash back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
6639 posts
1558 upvotes
gabbycup wrote:
May 5th, 2013 4:59 am
An MBNA rep I talked to told me that the system "sweeps" all RTP accounts in May and November every year and sends out invites to cardholders who qualify for upgrades.
I never knew that. That might be useful to put in the OP.
That explains why so many of you lucky souls got the invites recently. sooo jealous... :twisted:
Given the only differences are Price Protection and Concierge service, I doubt there's much to feel jealous about. The Price Protection feature from MBNA is far more restrictive than from Citi/CIBC. MBNA forces you to prove an item is cheaper by providing an advertisement, whereas with Citi/CIBC, you can provide a photo with the price tag from the store.

And since most of us on RFD are interested in deals, I'm not sure how many of us would trust a third party to plan trips for us and automatically charge our cards for those trips. I have never tried the concierge service.
× < >