Personal Finance

MBNA Smart Cash Credit Card - Big Liar !

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2012 1:55 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 25, 2009
535 posts
108 upvotes
Montreal

MBNA Smart Cash Credit Card - Big Liar !

Hi all,

From the Ads of MBNA Smart Cash Credit Card on RFD here, I have applied that card. I have recceived one since July 21.
At the moment that I have applied they have specified that they give 5% cash back on gas and grocery pruchase for first 6 months, then 3% (not sure because now they display only 2%) then after. And always 1% cash back with all other purchases.

Since there, it looks like they honor the cashback as the Ads, but yesterday, I have received a letter from them telling that from Dec 1st 2012, they will
reduce the cashback to 3% for the first monthly 600$ and to 2% for the next monthly 400$ then to 1% for all purchase after.

It's really ridiculous, it's not 6 months yet and they begin to show up their lie.

How do you think about that ? I think I will cancel my credit card with them when I finish first 6 months with them. I hate liar companies like that.

Thomas Tran
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5617 posts
1433 upvotes
Montreal
You should look up the definition of liar. Changing the terms of a product is not lying.

As a kid, I wanted to be a garbage man. I no longer want to be a garbage man. Does this make me a liar?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
115 upvotes
Sudbury
wrong section
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
49 upvotes
dude, there is a whole thread about this already. all of us have been using this card for many years now, and it's just wrong timing that you just registered for it a little bit before them changing the rules. you should also know that TD bought out the MBNA credit card line.... so i suggest you take it out on TD :lol:
rems wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 12:00 pm
yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
May 19, 2006
498 posts
66 upvotes
Wait until he finds out the truth about Santa Claus!
Apr 30, 2012
51 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Before

Smart Cash Platinum MasterCard cardholders used to enjoy the following benefits:

Five per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $600 a month for the first six months;
Three per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $600 a month thereafter;
One per cent cash back for all other purchases. (The first $6000 spend 0.5% and 1% excess of $6,000 during an Annual Period)

After the changes from MBNA, here's what new Smart Cash Platinum customers can expect to receive:

Five per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $400 a month for the first six months;
Two per cent cash back on gas and grocery purchases up to $400 a month thereafter;
One per cent cash back for all other purchases up to $1,250 a month - including groceries and gas. (The 0.5% rule might apply for the first $6000 and 1% after $6000.)

These changes are in effect immediately for new customers, and take effect December 1 for existing cardholders. MBNA has sent letters advising customers of the changes to their rewards program.

As a student I can't get card until I make income. This card would be the best cash back to start out with but now I might not even considered it anymore if TD keeps on lowering the rewards and raise its restriction.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
340 upvotes
Winnipeg
yupkime wrote:
Oct 26th, 2012 4:06 pm
Lmfao
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Aug 10, 2008
404 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
yupkime wrote:
that's when all hell breaks loose lol
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11971 posts
274 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2012 12:32 pm
You should look up the definition of liar. Changing the terms of a product is not lying.

As a kid, I wanted to be a garbage man. I no longer want to be a garbage man. Does this make me a liar?
Brace yourself for Thomas' lawsuit. It's coming, you garbage liar.
Sep 23, 2011
200 posts
22 upvotes
yupkime wrote:
You made my day! :D
Sep 23, 2011
200 posts
22 upvotes
Well, I will still keep it. I just found out that I missed 6% and 3% cash back not using it for online purchase with MBNA's eWall... :facepalm:
That's really a new habit that I need to have now, instead of using Aeroplan and Airmiles eStores.
Dec 25, 2006
610 posts
48 upvotes
This is called grand re-opening under new management. It happens all the time. There is no need to get upset. As a consumer, you have freedom to choose your product. If you find a more superior product, you move on. So be it. But sometimes an inferior product in your eyes might be a superior product in other people eyes. It all depends on the individual situations.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8068 posts
904 upvotes
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8815 posts
1529 upvotes
Toronto
Bandkill3 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2012 4:14 pm
As a student I can't get card until I make income. This card would be the best cash back to start out with but now I might not even considered it anymore if TD keeps on lowering the rewards and raise its restriction.
Uhh no you don't need income to get a card, you can write your family income (assuming you live with your parents). Heck there are tons of cards out there students can get, whether you're fit for them and whether you can manage the money is a different story.