Mar 23, 2004
33101 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham

MBNA Smart Cash MC: New card design!

Current card design (as of post last edited date):

Application link: https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationform/g ... cale=en_CA

Application process:

The application itself is for applying to the MBNA Smart Cash Platinum Plus AS WELL AS the MBNA Smart Cash World. After you have applied, MBNA will determine if you qualify for the Platinum Plus or World (or maybe deny your application), refer to here. There is no way to directly apply for the World Version anymore.

How to speed up the application process + raise credit limit:

If you don't want to wait 2-3 weeks to see if you are approved or not (I sure don't want to! ;) ), you can call MBNA @ 1-888-877-6262 2-3 business days after you applied. Ask for a credit analyst once your call gets through. The credit analyst will then be able to tell whether you are approved or denied right away. If you got approved and felt that your credit limit is too low, you can ask the same credit analyst for a credit limit increase. Note that it will be another hard hit to your credit score. Note: The actual card will take up to 2-3 weeks to get to you unless you somehow convinced MBNA to courier to you for whatever reasons.

How this card works:

You earn 1 MBNA Dollar for every $100 you spend (For SC Platinum holders, you can earn up to $12.50 MBNA Dollars on $1250 spending per month. Anything after that will not net you any cashback until the next month. This does not apply to SC World holders). For gas/groceries, you earn 2 MBNA Dollars per $100 spend up to 8 MBNA Dollars every calendar month ($400 spending). After the $400 monthly limit, you will earn the normal 1 MBNA Dollar for every $100 spent until the next month. The number of MBNA Dollars will calculated to 2 decimal points. If the number following the two decimal points is 5 or greater, then the number of Dollars earned will be rounded up. i.e. $167.75 = 1.68 MBNA Dollars.

During the 6 month promotion period (starts on the day that your card was approved, NOT activated), you can earn 5 MBNA Dollars per $100 spent on groceries/gas stations to a maximum of 20 MBNA Dollars ($400 spending) every calendar month.

Canadian grocery/gas merchants (5541, 5542, 5411) that get 2 MBNA Dollars: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/8587299-post411/
(Note: It is possible to get 2% from international gas/grocery vendors as long as they fall into the MC grocery/gas merchant codes)
(Note #2: It is also possible to NOT get 2% from local gas/grocery vendors if they DO NOT fall into the MC grocery/gas merchant codes)

How to redeem cashback:

You can redeem cashback by going to the Rewards page of the card (go to the Rewards tab on online banking). You can redeem every 5000 points and the redemption method can be by cheque, bank deposit or a statement credit. Refer to here.

World Version Upgrade:

It is possible to upgrade to the World Version right now for no annual fee if you have $60,000 income, $100,000 household income, or $15,000 annual spending. The upgrade will take up to 5 business day to go through (and 2-3 weeks for the new card to arrive) and all your points from your original SC will get transferred as well. Once upgraded, the card will give you another 6 months of 5% cashback for groceries/gas (starts the moment your card is upgraded, you can still use the current card until you activate the new card), price protection (up to $500) and concierge service. The World version will also remove the $1250 1% cashback monthly spending limit on the platinum version (Read above for more details).To check if you qualify for the upgrade, you can: (1) call mbna, (2) log into the website for Smart Cash cardholders (listed below) and click on "Special Offers". If you don't qualify, the page is blank, or (3) check through MBNA Online Access - Rewards tab. Since your card # will change after the upgrade, all pre-authorizations will have to be setup again.

TD Takeover

A little more than a year after the TD takeover, this card has been decreased to 2 points per $1 for $400 monthly spending of gas and groceries for new applicants. There will also be a $1250 monthly spending limit on 1% cashback for Platinum Plus cardholders. Current cardholders will share the same fate starting December 1st.

Miscellaneous stuff:

MBNA Smart Cash Program - Terms & Conditions: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3 (Credit to vm_fan)

Platinum Plus coverage guide: Page 1, Page 2, Page 3, Page 4, Page 5 (Credit to vm_fan)

Finally...

It's very sad to see this card turning from one of THE BEST credit cards in Canada to what it will be soon (or what it already is for new applicants), just like the old saying: "all good things must come to an end"...RIP Smart Cash 22/10/12

I am officially Smart Cash free. RIP My Smart Cash 28/02/13 http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mbna-sma ... st16428592

Updates:

NOTE (30/09/2014): After the MBNA system transition, it seems that you can now request a statement credit, a bank deposit and a cheque for your cashback redemption instead of just being forced to redeem by cheque. Refer to here. The CB system has also been converted to a MBNA Dollar system. Refer to here.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
16465 replies
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33101 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 7:04 pm
Your title is misspelled. ;)

(Will delete this post when you correct it.)
nah dont worry about it, it's correct now. Thanks for letting me know before getting flamed for it :D
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33101 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
5% for gas/groceries 6 months
afterwards 3%.

1% cashback no cap on other purchases.

No annual fee

13.99%

10 months for 1.99% B/T

NICE...nice nice.

EDIT: I am converted now. :lol:
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5570 posts
161 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 7:07 pm
5% for gas/groceries 6 months
afterwards 3%.

1% cashback no cap on other purchases.

No annual fee

13.99%

10 months for 1.99% B/T

NICE...nice nice.

EDIT: I am converted now. :lol:
Does this have the same features as the Enrich Platinum (or better)?

The 3% for groceries will make a difference.
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33101 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
Octavius wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 7:29 pm
Does this have the same features as the Enrich Platinum (or better)?

The 3% for groceries will make a difference.
enrich platinum has price protection afaik and a $500 cashback cap...otherwaise they are really the same.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Dec 4, 2007
694 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
Wow, this one is a nice one it sounds like!
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33101 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
P1x44r wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 8:01 pm
Wow, this one is a nice one it sounds like!
much better than the scotia momentum in terms of cashback. And no annual fee too.

+ i hope the front and bad look much beter than the prp+...the red is just a nightmare.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Jul 18, 2005
475 posts
6 upvotes
During the first 6 mths, if I buy the gift cards in the gas station, for example, esso gift card, will that qualify for 5% cash back?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18557 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal
Looks like MBNA just pwned Scotiabank's Momentum Visa :twisted:
[OP]
Mar 23, 2004
33101 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
angel_wing0 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 8:13 pm
much better than the scotia momentum in terms of cashback. And no annual fee too.
najibs wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 8:40 pm
Looks like MBNA just pwned Scotiabank's Momentum Visa :twisted:
Same thoughts :razz:

I think this is actually targeted to compete with the momentum. Being platinum and NO annual fee helps.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
Dec 4, 2007
694 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
I'm going to apply for this one I think. Hopefully MBNA gives me another card after I maxed out their first one (limited 0% BT rate). :razz:
Nov 30, 2007
642 posts
36 upvotes
DAMN! I just applied for the Citi Enrich Mastercard online yesterday. ><!

Is there any way to cancel the application?
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2003
1299 posts
45 upvotes
13.99% APR? better than the regular 19.99% premier rewards.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
2001 posts
179 upvotes
hugewallet wrote:
Apr 5th, 2009 9:06 pm
13.99% APR? better than the regular 19.99% premier rewards.
If that's accurate, along with the added cashback for gas/groceries, this is hot. Calling in first thing tomorrow to verify and upgrade my Platinum Premier Plus.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3036 posts
195 upvotes
Wow this is a nice card..3% cash back on groceries and gas? DEAL!!
× < >