None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
angel_wing0 wrote: Yes.

2%.
djino wrote: In addition to the CIBC Costco MC option, you can also get the Tangerine MC and add Gas as one of your 3 chosen categories for 2%.

djino
Thanks.
I already have smart cash and Tangerine. But all 3 categories have been used up.
If smart cash is same as Costco card, I will just use what I have then. Thumbs Up Sign
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Thanks.
I already have smart cash and Tangerine. But all 3 categories have been used up.
If smart cash is same as Costco card, I will just use what I have then. Thumbs Up Sign
I remember smart cash has 500 dollars cap per month?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
theflyingsquirrel wrote: Thanks.
Have you thought about using a card that comes with an annual fee, for a higher percentage in Cashback? Depending on your spending amounts, you may be able to consolidate the amount of cards you use and just use one for the majority of spending, and come out way further ahead than by getting 2% with no annual fee.

Since you already have an MBNA credit card, you could PS to the Rewards world elite MC and get 5% (5.5% if you count the annual birthday bonus) on the following categories.

For Gas, you can just pick up Gas gift cards (Petro Canada, Esso, Ultramar, etc.) at the Grocery store and collect your 5.5% that way.

djino
Last edited by djino on Mar 15th, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
djino wrote: Have you thought about using a card that comes with an annual fee, for a higher percentage in Cashback? Depending on your spending amounts, you may be able to consolidate the amount of cards you use and just use one for the majority of spending, and come out way further ahead than by getting 2% with no annual fee.

Since you already have an MBNA credit card, you could PS to the Rewards world elite MC and get 5% (5.5% if you count the annual birthday bonus) on the following categories.

For Gas, you can just pick up Gas gift cards (Petro Canada, Esso, Ultramar, etc.) at the Grocery store and collect your 5.5% Cashback that way.

djino
I usually stick with no fee card to keep and churn with have fee cc. There are usually min spent for the churning cc so I need to focus on using some cc at times. That make cc with annual fee not ideal for keeping.
But thanks for the suggestion.
smartie wrote: I remember smart cash has 500 dollars cap per month?
I have a small car. $500 is more than enough for gas.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
theflyingsquirrel wrote: I already have smart cash and Tangerine. But all 3 categories have been used up.
If you are in a region with lots of Parkland gas stations (Ultramar, Pioneer, Chevron), you can stack the 2% cashback on the Costco card with the 3 cents off per litre CIBC benefit.
Apr 7, 2006
427 posts
35 upvotes
MBNA Smart Cash Platinum Plus® Mastercard is showing on their website without annual fee, and 5% gas and groceries thereafter‡ ($500 monthly spend cap).

If switching SC VI Infinite card to this Mastercard, is that qualify for 5% gas and groceries?
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2379 posts
4560 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
reddeals wrote: MBNA Smart Cash Platinum Plus® Mastercard is showing on their website without annual fee, and 5% gas and groceries thereafter‡ ($500 monthly spend cap).

If switching SC VI Infinite card to this Mastercard, is that qualify for 5% gas and groceries?
Keep in mind the 5% cash back on gas/groceries is for the first 6 billing cycles, after which it falls to 2% (which, as I understand, would be consistent with your current Smart Cash Visa Infinite).

The 5% CB is a new sign-up offer/promo, and wouldn't apply to a product switch. I'd recommend making a new application for the SC PP MC (via GCR to also capture an additional $50 rebate) so you can benefit from the 5% CB on G/G, and if you're no longer using the SC VI, close it and move the credit limit over to the SC PP MC, especially if you're paying an AF to have it.

The catch I don't like about to this card is that cash back redemption can only be done when you've accrued $50 in cash back. Consequently, as an example, if you're at $40 after your 6th statement issues, you'll have to spend another $500 in G&C (at 2% CB) to gain the additional $10 CB to unlock that $50.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)