None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7641 posts
448 upvotes
BC

McAfee Antivirus Plus latest version and Windows 7

long story short,
I am wondering if anyone is having trouble with their McAfee Antivirus Plus latest version and Windows 7.

long version
My McAfee AV came with my laptop and it had been working great until Monday when it updated itself to the latest version (the one with red shield).

First, I got my first BSOD since getting my laptop in March (brand new). I then uninstall and reinstall the program. It worked well for a day and decided to slow down/freeze my laptop tonight. I am using 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

anyone?
insert witty comment
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
Uninstall it and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

McAffee and Norton are like catalysts... them themselves are like poison. They do so many things to your system that you need to download separate programs to uninstall them and undo all of their changes.

The BSODs can be caused by a number of things, if you remember the error, write it down for us.

McAffee has to alter a lot of system config files in order to run, its extremely bloated and a major resource hog (that is your "slowing down" issue).

I would extremely suggest installing MSE. If it doesnt "fix" your problems, then go back to Mcaffee. But I am 90% sure McAffee is causing all of your issues.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7641 posts
448 upvotes
BC
Thanks, I have already uninstalled McAfee as of last night. So far so good (touch wood).

I didn't write down the BSOD error but I am 99.9% sure that it was McAfee related. The reason is that I did not update, install, or uninstall anything for a week previous to the McAfee.

I googled a bit more and I don't think I am the only one that was affected by this latest update. Man, this really sucks since I still have 300 days of subscription left.

I already have MSE installed as soon as I got my laptop. Downloaded and Installed Comodo Firewall and Avast AV yesterday.
insert witty comment
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
manixc wrote: I already have MSE installed as soon as I got my laptop. Downloaded and Installed Comodo Firewall and Avast AV yesterday.
Never run more than 1 AV at the same time. Doubling an antibiotic does not make the infection go away faster. In this case more is not better!
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
Cas77 wrote: Never run more than 1 AV at the same time. Doubling an antibiotic does not make the infection go away faster. In this case more is not better!
This. Just have MSE installed.

2 AVs at the same time will destroy your system and harddrive.
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7641 posts
448 upvotes
BC
Cas77 wrote: Never run more than 1 AV at the same time. Doubling an antibiotic does not make the infection go away faster. In this case more is not better!
Akraz wrote: This. Just have MSE installed.

2 AVs at the same time will destroy your system and harddrive.
oh really. first time I heard this. I will just use MSE then. thx
insert witty comment