McDonalds Canada has cut back a lot of customization options

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2017 1:17 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes

McDonalds Canada has cut back a lot of customization options

I'm probably not the first person to comment on this but I could't find the appropriate thread in these forums so here goes...

No more Poor Man's Big Mac or Junior Mac for me.
That's right, I found out today that I can no longer order a McDouble from a kiosk or the app and then hit the customization menu to add Big Mac sauce and lettuce on it. No such option anymore. In fact, all I can add is bacon and more of the existing standard McDouble ingredients.

Can't add anything to the Double Cheeseburger that's not already on it, not even bacon which is stupid because there is no bacon double cheeseburger on the menu. What if i want to go to McDondalds and order a bacon double cheeseburger? Can't be done.
How about a Jr Chicken with bacon? Not an option. Add Big Mac sauce to that? Nope. Add tomato? Not possible. Add onions? Not available. Open the pod bay doors? I'm sorry Dave, the app can't do that. Want bacon on my Big Mac? Nope, can't do that. Want to change the fake "re-hydrated" onions to real "slivered" onions, the kind that is on the Quarter Pounder? Nope. NO MORE BACON BIG MAC FOR ME because why?! Was the money I was giving them for that bacon slice not valuable enough?

I can still add stuff to the Quarter Pounder but there's a long list of stuff I used to be able to add that I can't add anymore. Definitely NOT mac sauce, just bacon, "mayo style sauce" (ewww), leaf lettuce, tomato and.... that's it. The bacon costs extra of course, + $.90 per strip. The tomato is $.40 per slice. The lettuce and mayo are free because apparently McDondalds hasn't gotten around to adding a cost to that stuff yet. However, if I customize my Quarter Pounder With Cheese ($5.79 ordered as standard) this way, adding bacon (+$0.90) + lettuce (free) + tomato (+.40) then it's actually MORE expensive that just ordering a Quarter Pounder With Cheese BLT; A Quarter Pounder With Cheese with added bacon, lettuce and tomato comes to the outrageous price of $7.09. A regular-old Quarter Pounder With Cheese BLT is on the menu listed at $5.79. So customizing my sandwich by adding bacon and/or tomato would be stupid (not to mention expensive.) Apparently McDonalds is hoping that stupid people that can't add will customize their Quarter Pounders this way and not realize they're being screwed.

In short, all the good customization options on the McDonald apps and kisoks are gone. I have yet to try a secret-menu order in person but I'll bet you a cheeseburger and a small fries that they've blocked off that avenue of frugality too. I wonder if you can still get Big Mac sauce in packets? ::hmmmmmm::

Meanwhile at Burger King I can add (more) tomatoes to just about anything for free, same with the lettuce and onions and pickles. They'll put bacon on anything too; even the poutine, yet another thing McDondalds won't let you do. Want a chicken paddy on my Whopper? That's an affirmative. Can I get a Big King with bacon? Oh yeah.

For a company that still does orders the 20th century way (in person) Burger King is beating the pants off McDonald's in the customization department, which is a shame because the McD's kiosks used to be really good for that. What happened, did McDonalds hire Ebeneezer Scrooge as their new CEO?
23 replies
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 9:53 pm
Lol. So don't eat there.
I probably won't. I just sucks because the McD's is a lot closer to me than the Burger King. I probably shouldn't fast food anyways so i suppose McD's is doing me a favor, in a backhanded kind of way.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4045 posts
1170 upvotes
Look at their "new" chicken sandwiches.

The McTasters, they were just something you could customize and get yourself for nothing extra.

Now they charge like $3.00 for something that used to be $1.80 (whatever the junior chicken is now).

McD's learned that people were willing to pay for something that a few took advantage of. It's highly unlikely that will go back to the old ways.

It's similar to how many software packages used to have a nominal price switching to subscription based. Or how video games used to come out as complete ... and now you need a season pass to get a full game.

If people pay, companies will do whatever makes them the most.

They don't care about the people that took advantage before, they want to keep the new full price paying people happy. Because they will pay even more in the future.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:16 pm
Hey guys stop making fake news. Yes they created inconvienence by disallowing these customizations on self serve options.

But if you see a cashier or speak to someone in drive thru, they can make all of these old customizations.
As I mentioned in my original post, I have not had an opportunity to check that out via the cashier or the drive-through. Thank you for the clarification. My intent was not to spread "fake news", just to vent my frustrations with the changes to the electronic ordering system.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23437 posts
1112 upvotes
Markham, ON
Ihateclipingcoupons wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 1:56 pm
As I mentioned in my original post, I have not had an opportunity to check that out via the cashier or the drive-through. Thank you for the clarification. My intent was not to spread "fake news", just to vent my frustrations with the changes to the electronic ordering system.
they are trying to speed up the electronic ordering system...it's already very complicated for some ppl...most of the time it takes much longer than placing an order with a live person.

the more options you give to ppl...the longer it takes
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
37046 posts
2675 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 2:48 pm
they are trying to speed up the electronic ordering system...it's already very complicated for some ppl...most of the time it takes much longer than placing an order with a live person.

Darn...
I loved doing the kiosk customization myself...
You could make a complete burger easily!

Mcdouble
+1 cheese slice (cheaper than double cheeseburger)
Extra lettuce
Tomato
Extra pickels
Slivered onion

I like burgers with vegetable toppings
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2017 posts
323 upvotes
Oshawa
Simple answer.

Don't go there.

No point in comparing the prices!

In the 90s ... Big Macs were $0.99.

In the early 80s ... a McD hamburger was ONLY $0.25

Dude ... wake up. You're ONLY going to get OLDER and you know you can't turn back time.

So either live with it ... or forget it!
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:

So what do they care if it takes forever for some people to order? I can maybe see that being a problem with the kiosks but with the mobile ordering what does it matter if it takes longer? This is like designing a car that can only turn right. They could build a car that can also turn left but that'd be twice as complicated, so why would they do that?
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 8:13 pm
Simple answer.

Don't go there.

No point in comparing the prices!

In the 90s ... Big Macs were $0.99.

In the early 80s ... a McD hamburger was ONLY $0.25

Dude ... wake up. You're ONLY going to get OLDER and you know you can't turn back time.

So either live with it ... or forget it!
Inflation eats away at the real-world purchasing power of your money. It's not such a problem if your wages are keeping pace with the rate of inflation. Problem is they're not. Blame the bankers and their fractional reserve banking system. But I digress.
Dec 13, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
LOL you can do all this in person with a cashier still. Burger King doesn't even offer any type of self serve option but you praise them for doing the exact same things that a real person at mcdonald's can still do for you. You got too much time on your hands
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9314 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
thelefteyeguy wrote:

I know many people are dumb, but in the case of the McDonald kiosk I think more blame should be placed on that sad excuse of a touch screen with the most user unfriendly, cluttered, cumbersome and slow interface than the people who use it. Never once was able to get my order going by pressing "start order" only once.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Dec 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
ventiwhitemocha wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 12:23 pm
LOL you can do all this in person with a cashier still. Burger King doesn't even offer any type of self serve option but you praise them for doing the exact same things that a real person at mcdonald's can still do for you. You got too much time on your hands
Did you miss the part where I said I hadn't tried to secret menu order via a human being at McDs yet? I'm complaining about McDs nerfing their computer-based customisation system. Burger King never had such a system so Burger King hasn't pulled the rug out of it on me, therefore I can't complain about Burger King; Same can't be said for McDonald's.
Oh and McDs charges for a tomato slice. Burger King does not. McDs charges for adding real (not dehydrated) onions. Burger King does not. I could go on...