• Apr 18th, 2017 9:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1118 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto

McDonalds ends free coffee refills?

Perhaps a bit late to this, but I stopped by a nearby McDonald's and they told me that they stop giving coffee refills.

They said this started in November, and it applies only to some franchises. I would've thought that McDonald's Canada would control this policy across all chains.

That's too bad. I've never over stepped this perk, but always enjoyed the cup refill before I leave the premises.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2449 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
it's up to the store, and rightly so if it's found that people just linger for the whole day and ask for free refills

unfortunately it's always the people who abuse the system who screws the rest of us, people just aren't the same these days, every little thing and it's a human rights violation
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1111 posts
154 upvotes
Renous
McDonald's had free refills on coffee??

Too bad I missed out, their coffee isn't too bad.
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35509 posts
1869 upvotes
Toronto
medalgo wrote:
Dec 13th, 2014 10:01 pm
it's up to the store, and rightly so if it's found that people just linger for the whole day and ask for free refills

unfortunately it's always the people who abuse the system who screws the rest of us, people just aren't the same these days, every little thing and it's a human rights violation
Eventually they'll grow tired of the old people who nurse their coffee with free refills while reading entire sunday edition newspapers end to end...
Or the ones who break out the cards and chess boards. True story.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
698 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Dec 13th, 2014 10:37 pm
Eventually they'll grow tired of the old people who nurse their coffee with free refills while reading entire sunday edition newspapers end to end...
And you think the high schoolers don't abuse the unlimited soda refill policy, while chatting on their cellphones, catching up with friends, finishing up projects at their local MCD?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1118 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
I know McD's tried to the number of limit refills by requiring customers keep and show their receipts.
Removing loiters would have been preferable.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 1969
1102 posts
278 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
UrbanPoet wrote:
Go to Scarborough Town Center to see first hand.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2449 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
blindemboss wrote:
Dec 14th, 2014 12:01 am
I know McD's tried to the number of limit refills by requiring customers keep and show their receipts.
Removing loiters would have been preferable.
uhhh... have you not heard what's going on these days, people riot for anything, if the person happened to be an ethnic minority, diseased elderly, somewhat disabled, low income, LBGT, you watch the story morph into a protest about racism/discrimination and the widening income gap

plus, the employees have enough to deal with on a minimum wage job than to double as a security guard

the smarter way to deal with this is simply to stop gratuitously offering refills, just get over it
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10233 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
medalgo wrote:
Dec 13th, 2014 10:01 pm
At at least ONE location I know of, they mark the cup so it's good for ONE refill only. Once the cup is marked with the black marker it has already been refilled once and is now garbage when empty.

I honestly do not know if that location still does any coffee refill. I have not been back there in a while.

By doing only ONE free refill it discourages people from trying to come back again and again.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1544 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

Wow! You guys in Toronto sure know how to ruin a great deal. They only stopped the free refills during the Monopoly contest. Had lunch at McD's today & got a free coffee refill. I did come across 1 franchise restaurant that never gave out free refills - the 1 in Richmond Centre, I have never gone back.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10233 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
Fraser River Rat wrote:
Dec 14th, 2014 2:51 am
Hi,

Wow! You guys in Toronto sure know how to ruin a great deal. They only stopped the free refills during the Monopoly contest. Had lunch at McD's today & got a free coffee refill. I did come across 1 franchise restaurant that never gave out free refills - the 1 in Richmond Centre, I have never gone back.
Are the "Express" locations offering free coffee refills?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1333 posts
394 upvotes
Ontario
I know a guy who goes into McD with the same cup every time and gets a free "refill".
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3581 posts
340 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
This is every McD that I've been to in Toronto, though with all sorts of people and not just retired seniors. No surprise really. It happened first at Starbucks with college kids, then Tim Hortons and now McD. I imagine that when I'm old and retired I'll be doing the same thing. And why not? You have coffee, clean atmosphere, comfortable seats and free wifi.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel