Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
McDonalds

Free coffee or tea for health care workers & emergency services personnel

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2020 11:40 am
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18196 posts
36555 upvotes
Scarborough

[McDonalds] Free coffee or tea for health care workers & emergency services personnel

Didn't see this shared yet but it looks like McDonald's has joined Starbucks in offering free coffee or tea for health care workers and emergency services personnel.

RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
32 replies
May 10, 2017
659 posts
467 upvotes
Very nice of McDonalds
Donate to your local food bank today!
Jul 7, 2007
227 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
I thought all their locations were closed for take out. Only ubereats or drive thru....So you have to go thru drive thru to get the free coffee?
Dec 26, 2014
687 posts
580 upvotes
ON
This is very kind of them. As a first responder, this is very much appreciated.

That said, I personally would stay away from all take out right now seeing as you really do not know who is preparing your food/drinks. This is for 2 reasons. First asymptomatic people are transmitting the virus. Second many people who work in such establishments can least afford to take time off when sick. This could lead to some such employees attending to work even when they shouldn't, taking unnecessary risks.

Food handling can be questionable in the best of times.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1483 posts
867 upvotes
Markham
That explains why I saw two police vehicles in the Mcdonalds drive thru at lunch today. They quickly drove through just grabbing their coffees.
Aug 18, 2010
563 posts
283 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
hoodlum wrote: That explains why I saw two police vehicles in the Mcdonalds drive thru at lunch today. They quickly drove through just grabbing their coffees.
Confirmation bias
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5345 posts
7971 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
That's a better gesture than yesterday:

Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2128 upvotes
hoodlum wrote: That explains why I saw two police vehicles in the Mcdonalds drive thru at lunch today. They quickly drove through just grabbing their coffees.
You do know that officers always get coffee free or at least thats how it was 20 years ago for me. You never charged police for anything.
Smash that like button!
Feb 11, 2015
216 posts
648 upvotes
Winnipeg
6mthatch wrote: You do know that officers always get coffee free or at least thats how it was 20 years ago for me. You never charged police for anything.
should we change that though? ever wonder why how this started?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2868 posts
2128 upvotes
Paris55 wrote: should we change that though? ever wonder why how this started?
No we shouldn't change it. Somethings in life are worth more than a few $ profit. Policing and law enforcement is one of those things that keeps the world a sane place to live in.
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
Paris55 wrote: should we change that though? ever wonder why how this started?
The thought process was if you are nice to cops and they heard your business was being robbed / needed assistance they'd rush over to help. Plus having a pack of paramedics or cops hanging out in a Tims at 2 AM would deter robbers and drunks. When I worked graveyards at Tims (in 2002.....) I always felt better chatting with cops in the middle of the night than sitting alone by myself. They got anything they wanted for free, even when they were off shift.
May 19, 2009
885 posts
1234 upvotes
Vancouver
mikebc wrote: The thought process was if you are nice to cops and they heard your business was being robbed / needed assistance they'd rush over to help. Plus having a pack of paramedics or cops hanging out in a Tims at 2 AM would deter robbers and drunks. When I worked graveyards at Tims (in 2002.....) I always felt better chatting with cops in the middle of the night than sitting alone by myself. They got anything they wanted for free, even when they were off shift.
I did not know that! And that's a smart move. Cheaper to bribe them to hang around with free food than hiring security guards which cost more, and they can do much less than a cop.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1846 posts
1291 upvotes
6mthatch wrote: No we shouldn't change it. Somethings in life are worth more than a few $ profit. Policing and law enforcement is one of those things that keeps the world a sane place to live in.
I agree with them keeping the world a sane place to live in, but come on, these guys make way more than most people. They can afford to spend that $1 or $2.
May 19, 2009
885 posts
1234 upvotes
Vancouver
RCML27 wrote: I agree with them keeping the world a sane place to live in, but come on, these guys make way more than most people. They can afford to spend that $1 or $2.
Then why don't you apply to become a police officer or health care provider? Sure they make way more, but they also have to put their life at risk for the public. Did you miss the memo on how many health care providers have already died in this pandemic in Asia, Europe, and the States? They could've quit their job and stayed home and be safe, yet they continued to work in this unsafe environment to try to save people. I don't understand the mentality of people getting jealous at other people's pay even at the time of crisis like this.

It's a nice gesture of McDonald's to offer free coffee to essential workers to show appreciation, and well it's good for their PR too.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1846 posts
1291 upvotes
I'm not jealous. Just saying why shouldn't they pay for it instead of getting it free since their salaries are so high. And people wrote that they're even getting it way before this crisis.

And by the way, I am a health care worker.
Feb 11, 2015
216 posts
648 upvotes
Winnipeg
RCML27 wrote: I'm not jealous. Just saying why shouldn't they pay for it instead of getting it free since their salaries are so high. And people wrote that they're even getting it way before this crisis.

Not paying for coffee at tims or mcdonald’s i guess is fine but with small businesses? i hope they don’t do the same thing to small businesses.
Not paying though even before the crisis makes you want to Thinking Face. Is this why we hear things like extortion or bribe or “above the law” on the news involving police officers even politicians.

This is the kind of questions that “Forky” from Toy Story could answer, “Forky asks a question. I don’t know”

I’m frontline HCW by the way. AKA “essential” Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27420 posts
6791 upvotes
Please stick to discussing the deal. If you wish to debate cops getting free coffee, make a new thread in off topic
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16697 posts
12472 upvotes
Markham
RCML27 wrote: I'm not jealous. Just saying why shouldn't they pay for it instead of getting it free since their salaries are so high. And people wrote that they're even getting it way before this crisis.

I am always ok with front line for certain privileges , for example police. Not because covid-19, but in general

But I am not ok with free coffee for city councillor . They should cut those privileges in this situation. But I know, they will only talk