[McDonalds] McDonald's Mailer Coupons Dec 27 - Feb 3

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 3:46 am
Jan 27, 2011
422 posts
248 upvotes
Lampsy wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 9:56 am
It's actually probably more than that if you consider the cost of raw goods that McDonald's purchases increasing due to the minimum wage increase, it trickles all the way down. Packaging and shipping the cartons for food and drink have gotten more expensive, for example.

It isn't just profitability targets. If it was, why is the cost of the meal with the coupon more expensive in provinces with higher minimum wages? I'm assuming that the regular prices reflect that, given the coupons are.

Over the past few years, a Subway classic sandwich has gone from $5 to $7.29, no increase in automation, no change in the number of employees, but a huge change in the cost of goods.
i am not so sure that's the case - BC has a relatively high minimum wage, and their McD's coupons are on the lower side, iirc. so, i'm not sure i see the correlation you're making. at least i remember the breakfast combo being lower than in ontario.

real wages in canada have been stagnant or declined for a long time but, i think someone posted in a recent thread that you can still basically buy the same # of hamburgers at McD's as you could in 1970 on minimum wage. also, i would wager that mcd's supply chain is so long (as you suggest) that you have a lot of TFWP/SAWP labor in there, if not some from ever further abroad (coffee?).
Feb 1, 2004
976 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
The coupon links are not working for me right now.
Jun 9, 2015
747 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto, ON
soupman wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 12:33 pm
i am not so sure that's the case - BC has a relatively high minimum wage, and their McD's coupons are on the lower side, iirc. so, i'm not sure i see the correlation you're making. at least i remember the breakfast combo being lower than in ontario.

real wages in canada have been stagnant or declined for a long time but, i think someone posted in a recent thread that you can still basically buy the same # of hamburgers at McD's as you could in 1970 on minimum wage. also, i would wager that mcd's supply chain is so long (as you suggest) that you have a lot of TFWP/SAWP labor in there, if not some from ever further abroad (coffee?).
BC's minimum wage went from $11.35 to $12.65 this past summer, still a ways off Ontario.

Although I'm not longer in the field, I used to be a consultant in the fast food industry for quite some time, I've seen the direct impact of wage increases impacting basically every expense for these industries. Price increases for the customers are coming from increased costs due to minimum wage hikes in addition to the fabricated increases due to willingness to pay with more disposable income.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11390 posts
6202 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
There goes people's NYE's resolution for 2019, lose weight!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 31, 2017
19 posts
44 upvotes
Lampsy wrote:
It's actually probably more than that if you consider the cost of raw goods that McDonald's purchases increasing due to the minimum wage increase, it trickles all the way down. Packaging and shipping the cartons for food and drink have gotten more expensive, for example.
Packaging is ordered, manufactured, and delivered in batches that run into the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. The incremental cost of packaging across that many units doesn't even add up to a penny per order. What you've said is true of course -- the added labour costs ARE spread across the supply chain. But where they impact the *most* on a per-order basis is in the McDonald's retail store where the sale is made.
Lampsy wrote:
It isn't just profitability targets. If it was, why is the cost of the meal with the coupon more expensive in provinces with higher minimum wages? I'm assuming that the regular prices reflect that, given the coupons are.
1. I never said it was *just* profitability targets, and did acknowledge that the increase in min. wage does impact prices.
2. But blaming min. wage is something that is easy to do, doesn't require research. "It's because of minimum wage" is just a lazy answer.
3. All companies price their products according to a variety of factors which include not just cost, but a consideration of what the market will bear.
4. You will note that the rise in minimum wage has occurred in strong markets (eg, Ontario), and not weaker ones (eg, Newfoundland).
5. The cost of commercial leases and real estate has been on a huge upswing in the last decade. If you look into the numbers, you will see that the financial strain from these FAR outstrips the incremental costs from increased minimum wage. And where has the cost of real estate and leases increased the most? Saskatchewan or Ontario?
Lampsy wrote:
Over the past few years, a Subway classic sandwich has gone from $5 to $7.29, no increase in automation, no change in the number of employees, but a huge change in the cost of goods.
Subway over-expanded and has been hit even harder by declining sales. What was said previously about McDonalds applies even more to Subway. For example:
https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.co ... ing-crisis
https://www.businessinsider.com/subway- ... res-2018-4
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ofits-fall
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15894 posts
5161 upvotes
And3re wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 1:49 am
I'm so Tired of this MINIMUM wage narrative.

The same people who are getting there minimum wage raise are the same demographics that use that same residual income to purchase more from this same establishment

That's like McDonald's/Walmart giving there employees a wage increase paid in McDonald's gift cards.

Those new minimum wage employees aren't all of a sudden only dining at The keg with that $1 or $2 increase of pay.
Its all about a scapegoat and turning people against each other. And "protecting" corporations from evil voters/governments who want them to make slightly less profit in order to make sure their employees can live off their wages. A race to the bottom can't happen if workers make more money, and god forbid maintain yesterday's standard of living.
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
Anyone having trouble signing in to app? Past few days trying to sign in and it keeps giving me a username/password is wrong error. But nothing has changed as my phone as the login memory stuff. To reinterate, this app is a POS
Nov 18, 2012
810 posts
372 upvotes
Longueuil
Man these prices suck.. kinda sucks. Doesnt feel inciting to go spend that much money on small burgers.

I'll just keep buying my 2 Harvey's jr for 4.5$ tx included when i need my fast food fix.
May 9, 2018
139 posts
53 upvotes
Ah...it's time to bulk up for Valentines :) Just when gym membership is about to spike
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3960 posts
255 upvotes
If you see their dollar menu in buffalo you will want to cry. $1 coffee, $2 for 2 burritos (here its near $5), buttermilk chicken tendies... yum! I would get so fat fast if I lived there haha
Ephemera

Member since 2005.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3286 posts
522 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
rocking23nf wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:25 am
was 2 for 7, then 2 for 8, 2 for 9, 2 for 10, now 2 meals for 12.

to feed a family of 4 at mcdonalds, without coupons, is now nearing 35$ in my house. no thanks.
This. I have a family of 5. By the time you go to McD's and spend roughly the same amount at pizza pizza etc, you may as well get the pizza and then have leftovers.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Apr 7, 2007
535 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
McDonalds has the worst servers I've ever seen. App or direct coupon links haven't worked for me in days.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24746 posts
5025 upvotes
Coupons aside, I noticed all my local McD's, the price of McDouble has gone up 30 cents to $2.29 now :( Looks like it's been going up 30 cents/year for the past few years now. Started out at $1.39 way back when, then went up to $1.69, then $1.99 in 2018, now it's $2.29 damnit! Can't even get two now w/o paying the provincial tax in ON.

Edit: Jr. Chickens seem to still be $1.99 though, at least for now.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1729 posts
738 upvotes
GTA
rkt1337 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 10:51 am
Man these prices suck.. kinda sucks. Doesnt feel inciting to go spend that much money on small burgers.

I'll just keep buying my 2 Harvey's jr for 4.5$ tx included when i need my fast food fix.
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 6:08 pm
Coupons aside, I noticed all my local McD's, the price of McDouble has gone up 30 cents to $2.29 now :( Looks like it's been going up 30 cents/year for the past few years now. Started out at $1.39 way back when, then went up to $1.69, then $1.99 in 2018, now it's $2.29 damnit! Can't even get two now w/o paying the provincial tax in ON.

Edit: Jr. Chickens seem to still be $1.99 though, at least for now.
Yes, my go to when eatting here was 2 - mcdoubles for just over $4 , but noticed price change last time I was there. Will have to go to the jr. chickens at this point.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3914 posts
816 upvotes
I believe they increase the price of coffee right after the '$1 any size promotion' in Dec. Is it still cheaper than Tims I wondered because I haven't been to Tims for a long time.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8