• Nov 20th, 2017 9:34 am
Nov 28, 2010
896 posts
125 upvotes
Brampton
Adamcrazy3 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 12:59 pm
Ontario gets so much better deals than Quebec :(
Ontario had among the worst deals for the longest time. 50% off a sandwich would be okay if just buying the sandwich and nothing else. The price quickly goes up if add anything else so the survey coupon seems the best if want a meal
Dec 4, 2008
92 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Timbo420 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 6:39 pm
Is that still the case? I used to do that all the time until I got tired of them screwing up so often and my complaints falling on deaf ears. But the last time I got something 1-2 months ago, I went to do the survey and I swear it was something else, like BOGO sandwich or something. In my area, they are very bad with giving the receipts with order, too. It's hot garbage compared to 15 years ago.
I get this in an email after doing it.

OLD LINK: https://gyazo.com/dcf3646377f940ee104fc58e2ea9b21b

NEW LINK: https://imgur.com/3EBrCgp
EDIT: Updated link as the above link had some important stuff cut off.

Keep in mind, I am in Ontario though so I'm not sure if it would work for you. Sometimes the people at cash try to give me problems but they usually end up caving. The manager usually has to promo the fries and drink and just charge me for the main. When they have the mailer coupons out though, I consider the ~20 cents extra you pay to be the price of not having to deal with people at all and so you don't need to line up for it.
Last edited by Dabeed on Oct 23rd, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1111 posts
259 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
J.C wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 4:21 pm
I have to laugh. Pic on the coupon is a sausage mcmuffin ...but in the fine print... says sausage mcmuffin is not eligible for this deal
Luckily it specifically says Sausage Mcmuffin...so they always let me get a sausage mcgriddle at my local locationFace With Tears Of Joy
Dec 20, 2010
121 posts
37 upvotes
J.C wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 4:21 pm

I have to laugh. Pic on the coupon is a sausage mcmuffin ...but in the fine print... says sausage mcmuffin is not eligible for this deal
nikels21 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:58 pm
Luckily it specifically says Sausage Mcmuffin...so they always let me get a sausage mcgriddle at my local locationFace With Tears Of Joy
The picture on the offer is actually for the Sausage 'N Egg McMuffin, which the offer is indeed valid for. The Sausage McMuffin is a <$2 value menu item (without egg) which is why it is excluded
Dec 4, 2008
92 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
FatWallet wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 10:12 pm
No expiration date and copyright 2015?? Ahuh. Suuuuure, they'll accept that.
My bad, I cut off the screenshot when I did it initially. Here's the updated one - will also update my original post.

https://imgur.com/3EBrCgp
Jan 19, 2007
64 posts
8 upvotes
BRANTFORD
Watch the price when you mention you have the phone app deal for the $2 McMuffin. It rings up $2.50. When I pointed it out she denied it. When I asked her to double check the price she went and got the manager who again refused to look at the price. Only when I calculated the taxes and showed them the correct price I should be charged did they look and say “oops”
Sep 16, 2016
90 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Dabeed wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 1:29 pm
My bad, I cut off the screenshot when I did it initially. Here's the updated one - will also update my original post.

https://imgur.com/3EBrCgp
Can I just show the screenshot to the cashier and get the deal? I am afraid the cashier will ask for a paper coupon or directly showing in the McDonald's mobile app.
If we can dream it, we can make it!
Dec 4, 2008
92 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Hattie917 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 10:55 pm
Can I just show the screenshot to the cashier and get the deal? I am afraid the cashier will ask for a paper coupon or directly showing in the McDonald's mobile app.
Honestly, I'd just suggest you do the survey yourself. It takes a minute at most and you can just keep reusing it. I've gotten trouble from a cashier once, but I just pushed back and told him that there was nothing on the coupon saying I needed to print it.
Jul 2, 2009
196 posts
38 upvotes
Montreal
I have a question:
How does the McDonalds app know a coupon was scanned (it disappears from My Offers)?

I always wondered...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1685 posts
570 upvotes
Prince George
Bambinos wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 11:14 pm
I have a question:
How does the McDonalds app know a coupon was scanned (it disappears from My Offers)?

I always wondered...
Just a wild guess here as an app developer. I have no knowledge of exactly how they do it, but this is how I would do it.

When you display the coupon, the app knows which restaurant you're at using your phone's location, and tells the server which user you're logged in as. The QR code with the four digits is generated by and tracked by the server. It would be a one-time use, temporary code, valid only for the one user at that one restaurant. That's why the codes can be so short - it doesn't have to be globally unique; only unique to that restaurant. When you scan it at the kiosk and complete the transaction, the server knows who it was because it was a unique code. The server would then tell the app that offer has been redeemed for that user.
Dec 26, 2011
505 posts
138 upvotes
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:08 am
Just a wild guess here as an app developer. I have no knowledge of exactly how they do it, but this is how I would do it.

When you display the coupon, the app knows which restaurant you're at using your phone's location, and tells the server which user you're logged in as. The QR code with the four digits is generated by and tracked by the server. It would be a one-time use, temporary code, valid only for the one user at that one restaurant. That's why the codes can be so short - it doesn't have to be globally unique; only unique to that restaurant. When you scan it at the kiosk and complete the transaction, the server knows who it was because it was a unique code. The server would then tell the app that offer has been redeemed for that user.
I don't believe the manually entered codes are restaurant specific. At least from my experience I've logged in at home (I don't have any data plan for my phone) on the app, got a code and then used that code 30 mins + later at a restaurant much further away than from home (nearest one to my home is only a few blocks away). It wouldn't be the location entered in the app either since I use differing locations. This is with kiosk ordering.
MongolHoarder wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 3:16 pm
Both are better than BC, this week I have
$2 off any purchase of $10 or more
Seriously Chicken for $5
$2 off McWrapp (this one I actually will use)
BC also has 50% off fish filet sandwich.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26224 posts
6067 upvotes
GTHA
My McD's iOS app updated today with mobile ordering.

Currently available in Edmonton, Hamilton, and Quebec City.

IMG_0471.PNG
IMG_0472.PNG
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1685 posts
570 upvotes
Prince George
arandomguy wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:52 am
I don't believe the manually entered codes are restaurant specific. At least from my experience I've logged in at home (I don't have any data plan for my phone) on the app, got a code and then used that code 30 mins + later at a restaurant much further away than from home (nearest one to my home is only a few blocks away). It wouldn't be the location entered in the app either since I use differing locations. This is with kiosk ordering.
Fair enough. Maybe 4 letters is enough for the codes to be globally unique. In any case I think the answer to the question “how does the offer disappear” is that the code is unique to your account, at least, so the kiosk can identify who used it.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
1685 posts
570 upvotes
Prince George
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 12:01 pm
My McD's iOS app updated today with mobile ordering.
Excellent! I’ve always thought the app could do the exact same job as the kiosk (hopefully even easier) and not have to broadcast your order details to the world. Hopefully they’ll roll it out everywhere soon.