Page 1 of 3

McDonald's new Banana Chocolate Pie - GROSS

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 1:14 pm
by aliikram
I think this is a temporary promotion, but I just had to try one given their apple pie remains a personal favourite of mine. Plus, banana and chocolate go together really well in terms of flavours.

For those still tempted to try it, BEWARE because it tastes completely disgusting. We all know fast food joints use lots of artificial chemicals and preservatives in their food, but never has it tasted so obvious for me. The chocolate filling was kind of passable, but the banana was clearly just a gooey mess of yellow coloured pudding with artificial banana flavours.

Try it at your own peril. :cry: :cry:

Re: McDonald's new Banana Chocolate Pie - GROSS

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 1:55 pm
by Shimso
I tried it last week, it almost smells like plastic....awful.

I wish they'd bring back the strawberry ones; those were awesome. It'd also be cool if they made grape ones :D

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 2:53 pm
by windforcexx28
I've tried a few of their pies and the only one I liked was their apple pie.. guess I won't be trying this one out.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 5:29 pm
by GreyingJay
I didn't find it so bad. Better than last year's "s'more" pie. Yes, the banana tastes like artificial banana flavouring: like banana pudding or those packaged banana creme pies. I happen to like those.. :)

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 8:30 pm
by netgeek
I actually liked it! Guess that says something about my palate.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 8:58 pm
by Scott84
I don't like bananas but a few friends had it when I was there and liked it a lot. They said it wasn't as good as the apple, but nice to see another flavor on the menu.

Posted: Jan 9th, 2011 10:43 pm
by duckdown
Shimso wrote: It'd also be cool if they made grape ones :D

Grape pie?

http://www.tvloop.com/curb-your-enthusi ... gum-131558

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 12:48 am
by PennyArcade
Apple is the only decent pie at McD :)

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 1:28 am
by grappos13
tried this a week or two ago.. it was terrible.. wont be getting again...

Popeyes use to have this pie and it was amazing at popeyes.. too bad they got rid of it years and years ago

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 1:58 am
by callitasicit
grappos13 wrote: tried this a week or two ago.. it was terrible.. wont be getting again...

Popeyes use to have this pie and it was amazing at popeyes.. too bad they got rid of it years and years ago

Yeah I was going to comment on that too. I had it once a few years ago and it was really good! How could this be so different?

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 3:40 am
by av3n
Banana chocolate pie...I get grossed out just by thinking about it. The fact that McDonald's makes it doesn't help :razz:

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 3:57 am
by grappos13
av3n wrote: Banana chocolate pie...I get grossed out just by thinking about it. The fact that McDonald's makes it doesn't help :razz:

really? banana and chocolate go well together...

banana chocolate muffins / loaves are really good..

i even tried nestle banana chocolate ice cream in the summer and i enjoyed it

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 4:05 am
by umop
I'd try it but almost everytime I order any kind of pie, they either don't have it or don't have the amount I want.

"We don't have any at the moment."
"We only have one pie left."
"Next pies will be ready in 20 mins."

I don't know if it's just that location but it's annoying as hell.

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 9:15 am
by joeyjoejoe
I'm going to stay away... I tried their holiday McNugget sauces and those were god awful... It was super artificial slime in red or green. Sounds like this pie is very similar.

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 9:30 am
by wolverine07
Aren't these apple, banana or maple pies deep fried, that is gross enough for me. Harvey's has an apple pie now and I was hoping it would be baked, the lady at the counter said they were deep fried. No thanks!

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 11:27 am
by GreyingJay
wolverine07 wrote: Aren't these apple, banana or maple pies deep fried, that is gross enough for me. Harvey's has an apple pie now and I was hoping it would be baked, the lady at the counter said they were deep fried. No thanks!

The McDonald's website says they are baked:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/ful ... e_pie.html

And according to this, they stopped frying the pies in 1992:

http://www.ccytsao.com/friedapplepie.htm

Actually I remember the fried pies (they were tapered at every edge, as opposed to the baked pies which have a flat bottom, presumably from the baking sheet). They were crispy and the filling was always insanely hot.

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 11:41 am
by lovepizza
Yeah, it sucks! Tried it last week. I'm glad they'll never take away apple pie tho :)

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 11:54 am
by oranr
Thanks, was going to try one but now i'm not...thanks for the heads up!!

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 12:52 pm
by ES_Revenge
umop wrote: I'd try it but almost everytime I order any kind of pie, they either don't have it or don't have the amount I want.

"We don't have any at the moment."
"We only have one pie left."
"Next pies will be ready in 20 mins."

I don't know if it's just that location but it's annoying as hell.
Pies seem to have a high turnover rate (no pun intended). They also seem to have pretty short "sell by" times on them, on those labels they have to apply once they are cooked/ready. So I guess after that time they have to throw them out and make new ones, even if they don't sell them. Odd though because I've left McD's pies out at room temp for over a day, and they don't go bad by any stretch of the imagination...
wolverine07 wrote: Aren't these apple, banana or maple pies deep fried, that is gross enough for me. Harvey's has an apple pie now and I was hoping it would be baked, the lady at the counter said they were deep fried. No thanks!
Uh yeahhh, like greyingjay said, McDonald's hasn't had fried pies in a lonnng time... The thing is the fried ones were awesome--better than the ones of today (though they didn't have all the new/promo flavours they do these days). There's nothing wrong with deep frying, just depends on what oil they are deep fried in.

Posted: Jan 10th, 2011 4:41 pm
by 501
sounds gross ...just like chocolate banana ice cream