Food & Drink

McDonald's raises prices again

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2020 7:08 pm
Jul 30, 2008
55 posts
80 upvotes
I noticed a couple weeks back that all the Mcdonalds locations in my area closed a long standing kiosk and cashier loop hole for the buy one breakfast sandwich get one free mailer coupon. The system would allow the paid item to be the low cost sausage (no egg) mcmuffin from the value menu and the free item to be any breakfast sandwich, even if it was of greater value. Have other's noticed the same in their areas?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21707 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
kyleproject wrote: I noticed a couple weeks back that all the Mcdonalds locations in my area closed a long standing kiosk and cashier loop hole for the buy one breakfast sandwich get one free mailer coupon. The system would allow the paid item to be the low cost sausage (no egg) mcmuffin from the value menu and the free item to be any breakfast sandwich, even if it was of greater value. Have other's noticed the same in their areas?
Also, sometimes the price goes up on the menu, but somehow someone forgot to raise the kiosk price.
I sometimes wonder if the kiosk pricing is corporate controlled while the cash register pricing is franchise controlled. lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
The side result of the min. wage hike in Ontario was that 5% of my discretionary budget that went towards eating out become 0%.

Just a few days ago I was picking up McDonalds for a few colleagues at work and was SHOCKED to see that a mcnugget meal was approaching $10. That's ridiculous.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21707 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: Just a few days ago I was picking up McDonalds for a few colleagues at work and was SHOCKED to see that a mcnugget meal was approaching $10. That's ridiculous.
Use the coupons or the app. https://www4.mcdonalds.ca/coupons/ has a 6 piece chicken Mcnugget combo for $6.29. (until February 3rd 2019 in Ontario)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7081 posts
5209 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: You always think there are paid posters when that might not be the case. How do you know that person didn't have two accounts?
It's possible.

It's just that a lot of the posts made by that user were of a newsbot or ad copy nature. Making it seem like they weren't really personal opinions, but more corporate paid ones.

For the record, based on postings made, I also believe playnicee1 is more or less a social media brand manager for hire. That is to say they post to give businesses certain exposure and hopefully influence what is thought/believed about brands. Honestly, you do help with things, it's just that sometimes it appears to be that you are mandated/paid to speak on something.

I am more interested in having people aware of these types of individuals being out there.

I just think that people ought to know that sometimes a personal recommendation is more of a paid for recommendation.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
2025 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
Got free fries, $1 coffee and $2 nuggets yesterday.. what a value :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21707 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
renoldman wrote: It's possible.

It's just that a lot of the posts made by that user were of a newsbot or ad copy nature. Making it seem like they weren't really personal opinions, but more corporate paid ones.

For the record, based on postings made, I also believe playnicee1 is more or less a social media brand manager for hire. That is to say they post to give businesses certain exposure and hopefully influence what is thought/believed about brands. Honestly, you do help with things, it's just that sometimes it appears to be that you are mandated/paid to speak on something.

I am more interested in having people aware of these types of individuals being out there.

I just think that people ought to know that sometimes a personal recommendation is more of a paid for recommendation.
I've never been paid a cent and no one has approached me requesting that I speak of their business.
There's no shilling going on. If I like something I speak highly of it. If I do not I will say something. (with no fear of losing any job or anything)
That's how I roll.
Like that time when I said nice things about a certain bubble tea place, then turned around and complained about how they're stingy on the tapioca.
Such a shame too because I really did like their bubble tea taste better than other places.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
crystallight wrote: Random question: when you get a combo are you able to substitute the pop with some other beverage?
Yes you can.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Nuts. McDouble is now over the $2 mark. $2.29 I beleive. Yet another price increase within a year. Wasnt just a couple of yrs ago it was $1.59 I believe. Min. wage sucks. All it does is price transfers to the consumer.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
ES_Revenge wrote: They haven't been that price in a year or two, lol. It's possible some locations kept that price but very unlikely.

And yeah I noticed at a couple locations it's up to 1.99 (from previous 1.89) as well. Still a good deal.

More importantly the Bacon McDouble is off the menu (at least all the McDs I've been to recently). Yes you can add bacon to a McDouble but the price ends up being like $3.59 if you do that instead of the $2.29 or whatever it was before.
I don't find their combo prices of value. Big Mac combo close or over $10? Get out of town!

Looked at the post date of my original comment and it was dec. 2017. During that time I would sometimes get may be 2 mcdoubles or two jr chickens. I don't want to spend $10+ for a sandwich that's only slightly larger and fries I only ear about half or less, same for the drink. Older folks know what I mean about trying to eat less fatty foods. If and when I do order a combo even a whopper combo I rarely ever finsih then now.

Nowadays the only time I find myself at a McDonald's is through their drive thru for a $1 large coffee.

They've lost my business.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
aznnorth wrote: Nuts. McDouble is now over the $2 mark. $2.29 I beleive. Yet another price increase within a year. Wasnt just a couple of yrs ago it was $1.59 I believe. Min. wage sucks. All it does is price transfers to the consumer.
Yeah but people need a living wage as well. Long term it helps people out but how much does it driv e traffic away from the restaurants and back into their kitchens?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
renoldman wrote: It's possible.

It's crazy how industry within industry gets propped up before our eyes. In many respects all the little nuances of media and exposure has left me feeling like I'm stuck in the 90s before all this sprouted but your analysis is completely plausible. That said I don't really take what playbice1 says to heart. Their opinion mostly just seems generic imo. I fail to see how their endorsement of say burger king over McDonald's affects their bottom line because unlike what I like but when you include other eyeballs and appetite into the equation it makes sense.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
crystallight wrote: With what exactly? I know pop only costs them pennies so I doubt you can substitute it for something like milk which costs them way more.
Substitution comes at a price difference. Funny because if you opt for a cup of water they still charge you the price of the pop but sub for something more expensive they upcharge.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
2025 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote: Substitution comes at a price difference. Funny because if you opt for a cup of water they still charge you the price of the pop but sub for something more expensive they upcharge.
Well a 2L milk at the store vs 2L bottle of pop... usually $3.99 vs $1.29 right? Milk is more expensive then pop.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
ericlewis91 wrote: Well a 2L milk at the store vs 2L bottle of pop... usually $3.99 vs $1.29 right? Milk is more expensive then pop.
I get that but if they're going to be like that, you should get a discount for opting for the water instead of 'sugar' water.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: I don't find their combo prices of value. Big Mac combo close or over $10? Get out of town!

Looked at the post date of my original comment and it was dec. 2017. During that time I would sometimes get may be 2 mcdoubles or two jr chickens. I don't want to spend $10+ for a sandwich that's only slightly larger and fries I only ear about half or less, same for the drink. Older folks know what I mean about trying to eat less fatty foods. If and when I do order a combo even a whopper combo I rarely ever finsih then now.

Nowadays the only time I find myself at a McDonald's is through their drive thru for a $1 large coffee.

They've lost my business.
Just got a Big Mac combo yesterday because I haven't had McD in a while and had a BOGO sandwich coupon. Over $10! What a ripoff.

Unfortunately with a toddler, I can't even boycott this place.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Yeah but people need a living wage as well. Long term it helps people out but how much does it driv e traffic away from the restaurants and back into their kitchens?
This sort of logic is a bit naive and does not take into account other forces.

Let's pick on McDonalds first. As they jack up their prices, more people stop going there. How much? Like your comment, I don't think I or anyone here knows. I know I've long since stopped going to McDonalds.

That said, conjecture and guesses aside. Walmart/and other stores now have implemented self check out. Why? Higher labour costs, period, full stop.

The folks that want a hire minimum wage typically are minimum wage earners who don't realize that by advocating for such a stupid policy (due to disruption of the supply/demand curve) that they are voting themselves out of a job.

Sure, those that still have a job may be better off, but they are also now paying more for their day to day stuff.

Everyone loses.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Supercooled wrote: Yeah but people need a living wage as well.
angryaudifanatic wrote: This sort of logic is a bit naive and does not take into account other forces.

Let's pick on McDonalds first. As they jack up their prices, more people stop going there. How much? Like your comment, I don't think I or anyone here knows. I know I've long since stopped going to McDonalds.

That said, conjecture and guesses aside. Walmart/and other stores now have implemented self check out. Why? Higher labour costs, period, full stop.

The folks that want a hire minimum wage typically are minimum wage earners who don't realize that by advocating for such a stupid policy (due to disruption of the supply/demand curve) that they are voting themselves out of a job.

Sure, those that still have a job may be better off, but they are also now paying more for their day to day stuff.

Everyone loses.
CORRECT. It's a simple case of wage-price inflation. That's all increasing min wage does. There is no more productivity or better higher QC goods and services. Workers are not more well mannered, produce more, perform better, create better quality services. In fact it can have a negative more lazy effect where some reduce performance becuz they realize they are paid more to earn the same income in lesser period of time. After such amount is reached their productive slows whilst earning the same wage. Increasing min wage transfers costs to the consumers, essentially shifting up the supply curve causing higher prices and less quantity sold. A simple supply/demand graph proves this to be true at a simplex level. Not only consumer cost transfer but cost transfers to suppliers and manufacturers. So in the long run prices increase across ALL goods and services from low level to high level products. The $14 wage to the low income earner just becomes an inflationary component. Real wages havent risen at all. And the circle repeats itself each time you increase min wage. The market cost of a good as a percentage of income is the same at $10/hr as it is at $14 or $15/hr in the long run. Yet productivity and performance increase at the min wage level still remains minimal at best. In other words no productive change, except inflationary market pricing.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10120 posts
10230 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
This sort of logic is a bit naive and does not take into account other forces.

Everyone loses.
But automation (self check out) happens regardless of wage costs going up or stagnant (or even down), humans will always be more expensive than machines even in Bangladesh

McDonald's sales have been doing quite well and the higher prices have not had any impact on sales, they continue to increase along with profits
aznnorth wrote: CORRECT. It's a simple case of wage-price inflation. That's all increasing min wage does. There is no more productivity or better higher QC goods and services. Workers are not more well mannered, produce more, perform better, create better quality services. In fact it can have a negative more lazy effect where some reduce performance becuz they realize they are paid more to earn the same income in lesser period of time. After such amount is reached their productive slows whilst earning the same wage. Increasing min wage transfers costs to the consumers, essentially shifting up the supply curve causing higher prices and less quantity sold. A simple supply/demand graph proves this to be true at a simplex level. Not only consumer cost transfer but cost transfers to suppliers and manufacturers. So in the long run prices increase across ALL goods and services from low level to high level products. The $14 wage to the low income earner just becomes an inflationary component. Real wages havent risen at all. And the circle repeats itself each time you increase min wage. The market cost of a good as a percentage of income is the same at $10/hr as it is at $14 or $15/hr in the long run. Yet productivity and performance increase at the min wage level still remains minimal at best. In other words no productive change, except inflationary market pricing.
Wage inflation is required due to core price inflation I would argue notwithstanding the productivity has not increased of the min wage worker

And quantity sold is increasing more than min wage due simply to the multiplier effect which with your spewed economics 100 talking points you should know

So increasing min wage much like rising GDP is growth , and growth is growth and with multipler effect, it has a bigger positive impact than the magnitude of the min wage increase in overall economy

I mean in places with no min wage let alone min wage increases, prices at McD's is still increasing
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
StatsGuy wrote: But automation (self check out) happens regardless of wage costs going up or stagnant (or even down), humans will always be more expensive than machines even in Bangladesh

McDonald's sales have been doing quite well and the higher prices have not had any impact on sales, they continue to increase along with profits

Wage inflation is required due to core price inflation I would argue notwithstanding the productivity has not increased of the min wage worker

And quantity sold is increasing more than min wage due simply to the multiplier effect which with your spewed economics 100 talking points you should know

So increasing min wage much like rising GDP is growth , and growth is growth and with multipler effect, it has a bigger positive impact than the magnitude of the min wage increase in overall economy

I mean in places with no min wage let alone min wage increases, prices at McD's is still increasing
FALSE. Masters of economics isnt helping sly guy. You fail to incorporate real GDP, real wage, and real prices less inflationary component brought by shifting costs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)