• Jan 12th, 2019 11:59 am
Aug 26, 2018
424 posts
307 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 9:21 pm
Really? Troll much?

What he said was technically correct, the context in how he meant it was not
I don't think you understand what troll stands for.

You were incorrect when you said "Its definitely not a fraction of fast food costs", when labor cost is. A fraction is a mathematical construct. By definition the labor cost has to be a fraction of the total cost of the burger.

You are confusing the relative size of said fraction to other contributions. But he never insinuated as to big or small fraction of labor cost. And when you replied, you really meant to say "definitely not a small fraction of fast food cost", but he never made such insinuations about big or small contributions, and you never said big or small fraction yourself. So that is why I pointed out you are wrong, because labor cost most certainly is a fraction of the total cost.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1300 posts
452 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 7:11 pm
I'm sure you and your wife make great burgers, but I highly doubt you can replicate the taste of McD at home. It's just not the same.
There might be a cult for McDs. Each to his/her own but I frankly don't get it. I much prefer a non-budget busting gourmet burger (which I have had in France).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1300 posts
452 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 7:11 pm
I'm sure you and your wife make great burgers, but I highly doubt you can replicate the taste of McD at home. It's just not the same.
There might be a cult for McDs. Each to his/her own but I frankly don't get it. I much prefer a home-made or a non-budget busting gourmet burger (which I have had in France) to McDs or any other fast food burger (unless I have coupons - and even then I have let lots expire unused).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1300 posts
452 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Chickinvic wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 12:22 pm
Well obviously you can make your own burgers. You seriously think when I'm going through a drive-through it is because I have time to go home and make my own burger? We are talking about an occasional thing here.
We have different circumstances and habits but I've never used the drive-through at a fast food place for years (maybe I did when the walk-in was closed after hours). I also rarely eat out, even if out for a couple of hours either side of lunch time, so I often find myself having lunch at home way after 2p.

I used to see people packing their lunch to school and work when I was much younger and didn't really think about it. Then one day, I saw some tradesman stop in at another fast food chain probably after hours to grab a pre dinner snack. Cost them well over $10 each. I hope it was a rare occasion (such as getting time and a half or double time after a long day) but that kind of spending if regular and habitual starts to lighten your pocketbook.

A few other anecdotes(?).

I heard someone say a few years ago that the younger office workers at his place of employment are in the habit of buying coffee a couple of times a day, and then they wonder why they don;t have much left at the end of the week.

The other was that a half century ago, the working class in the U.S. (and by extension, I'd say Canada) rarely ate out, and fast food was a treat. Then the cheap restaurants came and got them hooked on eating out, quite regularly Come the crash of '08 (which didn't impact here as much), most of those restaurant chains collapsed. I guess the fast food companies are cheaper hence they weren't impacted to the point of collapse.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1036 posts
283 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Got some coupons in the mail yesterday. Two can dine for $11.99, breakfast $7.99.
I must say, though, I'm starting to love A&W more.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
biglizard12 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 11:04 am
What happened to 39 cent hamburger Wednesday
Yes, inflation is a fact of life, but they should still be able to do something on a Wednesday regardless...or a Tuesday, maybe? That would be smart.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1300 posts
452 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 10:50 pm
Yes, inflation is a fact of life, but they should still be able to do something on a Wednesday regardless...or a Tuesday, maybe? That would be smart.
Part of the psychology is to get people used to paying every day high prices. If there are discounts and price promotions, customers will expect that and won't buy when prices are high. Seems to work for (some) premium brands. Maybe McDs is trying to get there. They'll relent when the economy turns down and traffic goes with it, and they will have to fight for market share through price.

BTW, it'd seem that for fast food burgers, only McD, Burger King and A&W offer coupons. I never see any Wendy's or DQ offenings Maybe these two have price-inelastic/insensitive clientele. That's the best defence again being gouged: Be brand disloyal and extremely price sensitive.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7946 posts
3798 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 11:06 pm
Part of the psychology is to get people used to paying every day high prices. If there are discounts and price promotions, customers will expect that and won't buy when prices are high. Seems to work for (some) premium brands. Maybe McDs is trying to get there. They'll relent when the economy turns down and traffic goes with it, and they will have to fight for market share through price.

BTW, it'd seem that for fast food burgers, only McD, Burger King and A&W offer coupons. I never see any Wendy's or DQ offenings Maybe these two have price-inelastic/insensitive clientele. That's the best defence again being gouged: Be brand disloyal and extremely price sensitive.
Funny enough, although these fast food guys offer coupons, MAJORITY of people that eat here, do not use coupons. It's rather surprising. but not everyone cares I guess.

personally, I won't eat fast food unless I have a coupon.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
thriftshopper wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 11:06 pm
I never see any Wendy's or DQ offenings Maybe these two have price-inelastic/insensitive clientele. That's the best defence again being gouged: Be brand disloyal and extremely price sensitive.
Wendy's and DQ do mail out coupons but only to the immediate area nearest to their business.

Also, DQ does coupon mailouts through email sign up: https://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/Blizza ... lechange=1&
Aug 26, 2018
424 posts
307 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Aug 28th, 2018 11:15 pm
Funny enough, although these fast food guys offer coupons, MAJORITY of people that eat here, do not use coupons. It's rather surprising. but not everyone cares I guess.

personally, I won't eat fast food unless I have a coupon.
It's not surprising at all. Some people are not penny pinching RFDers who are singularly focused on deals and value. And it's not even about wealth either. A lot of very poor middle to lower class people are very nonchalant about how they spend.

How many people just drive up to any gas station to fill gas? Many do. What do I do? I use gasbuddy and Google Maps to find the cheapest station and go there to save a few bucks on a full tank of premium.

How many people gun it when driving while saving no time to their destination? Wasting a tonne of gas because fast accelerations and frequent braking are very fuel inefficient. Me? I drive slow and save money on gas again.

How many people use coupons and look for savings? Few do. Me? I only buy stuff that is on sale or on special and I use coupons.

And yeah, you can bet your ass I've stopped eating at McD and don't spend unless there is a deal on. I think the last time I purchased a McD was their $1 big mac. Now that was a deal.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23898 posts
1278 upvotes
Markham, ON
speaking of mcdcks...i had chicken mcnuggets in the SoCal...why they taste so much better than Toronto one's?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 1:22 pm
speaking of mcdcks...i had chicken mcnuggets in the SoCal...why they taste so much better than Toronto one's?
Get an ingredient list for both if you can.
Aug 26, 2018
424 posts
307 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 1:22 pm
Cheaper too. Canadians always get ripped off in everything. Electronics, gas, McD, mobile, you name it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3486 posts
176 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 5:46 pm
Get an ingredient list for both if you can.
Canada:
Boneless skinless chicken breast meat, water, vegetable oil (canola, corn, soybean and hydrogenated soybean oil), wheat flour, yellow corn flour, modified corn starch, rice starch, salt, baking powder, seasoning [wheat starch, yeast extract, salt, natural flavour (vegetable source)], spices, canola oil, sodium aluminum phosphate, dextrose, wheat starch, corn starch

USA:
White Boneless Chicken, Water, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Bleached Wheat Flour, Yellow Corn Flour, Vegetable Starch (Modified Corn, Wheat, Rice, Pea, Corn), Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Lactate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Spices, Yeast Extract, Lemon Juice Solids, Dextrose, Natural Flavors.