• May 17th, 2019 6:21 am
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 5:05 pm
I don't know why they use white meat only. Maybe they can drive costs down some more if they used the dreaded dark meat, which incidentally taste better too. When I go to KFC, I order all dark meat. Not only is it cheaper, it tastes 100X better. Perhaps McD can drive costs down a little with dark meat nuggets.
https://yourquestions.mcdonalds.ca/answ ... -old-days/
Jan 6, 2010
389 posts
418 upvotes
Montreal, QC
So I just got a Sausage McMuffin (no egg) this morning. Rang up at $1.99 + tx wut. Up until a few weeks ago, it was my go-to when I didn't have time because it was $1.69.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
Deriot wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 11:04 am
So I just got a Sausage McMuffin (no egg) this morning. Rang up at $1.99 + tx wut. Up until a few weeks ago, it was my go-to when I didn't have time because it was $1.69.
If you're going with no egg, check the prices other places. TH, 7 11, etc (except 7 11 means you have to take the time to self heat the sandwich)
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17817 posts
887 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 5:05 pm
I don't know why they use white meat only. Maybe they can drive costs down some more if they used the dreaded dark meat, which incidentally taste better too. When I go to KFC, I order all dark meat. Not only is it cheaper, it tastes 100X better. Perhaps McD can drive costs down a little with dark meat nuggets.
Sounds nasty tbh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8305 posts
1316 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Mc Donalds just a couple hundred feet from me.
I only buy from there if I have guests that request it.I went in twice this year.
In May on a busy Friday afternoon I paid approx $13 for two big mac combos.
I had to ask the cashier if this was right after reading this thread for some time, and as they do not posts the prices up on the board behind the cashier.
She confirmed it was correct.
I felt this was a good deal considering I expected to pay around $9 per combo based on this thread.
Fastforward to the same Mc Donalds on a different day of the week in August and two exact combos came up to just under $20.
Based on this thread this is what I also expected back in May.
Not sure what accounts for the price difference on these two occasions though.
I don't care for Mc Donalds otherwise apart from when I have guests.
Both guests actually enjoyed it though, claiming it was much better than the same item from their country.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5544 posts
1711 upvotes
Aurora
gh05t wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 11:11 am
I only buy from there if I have guests that request it.I went in twice this year.
I had to ask the cashier if this was right after reading this thread for some time, and as they do not posts the prices up on the board behind the cashier.
I felt this was a good deal considering I expected to pay around $9 per combo based on this thread.
Fastforward to the same Mc Donalds on a different day of the week in August and two exact combos came up to just under $20.
Both guests actually enjoyed it though, claiming it was much better than the same item from their country.
Yesterday, my wife and I had dim sum at Landmark Seafood Cuisine. 20 with tip.
The week before that I went with my wife and son to Congee Queen and had a med bowl of congee and a chow mein. ~20.
A month ago my wife and I shared a lamb roti dinner at Taste of the Islands (Caribbean place) - totally stuffed. 17.
Had 7.99 ea for 2 pizza deal at Domino's. About 19.

There are so many other alternatives than McDonald's that are the same price or cheaper and, in my opinion of course, much more satisfying. I often wonder why I go other than my son likes it due to the McD's brainwashing.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4467 posts
1568 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 11:11 am
Sounds like they gave you the coupon price in May and the regular price in August.

Even today, the coupon price for 1 Big Mac Combo is $6.29 ($7.11 after tax taxes) 2 Combos are $11.58 (this is correct, not $12.58) or $13.09 after taxes.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4467 posts
1568 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 12:02 pm
The week before that I went with my wife and son to Congee Queen and had a med bowl of congee and a chow mein. ~20.
A month ago my wife and I shared a lamb roti dinner at Taste of the Islands (Caribbean place) - totally stuffed. 17.

There are so many other alternatives than McDonald's that are the same price or cheaper and, in my opinion of course, much more satisfying. I often wonder why I go other than my son likes it due to the McD's brainwashing.
As illustrated above, You can still get McD's for a decent price with coupons. I would say that all of the other options you posted used to be 20-30% cheaper as well.

Ultimately .....

McD's with coupons is probably decent value compared to other options.
McD's with no coupons is not worth it in 2018.
Value Picks for the most part are no longer fantastic value as they used to be. Probably learned that most weren't buying anything else beside the cheap stuff.

I used to be upset with McDonald's and it's increases, but you can see that pretty much everyone else has also increased. Be honest, is dim sum as cheap as it used to be?

If McDonald's was really over charging, why don't you (or anyone else) start a clone that sells the same stuff for less?
Last edited by renoldman on Sep 3rd, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2176 posts
812 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
DiceMan wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 12:02 pm

Except for Domino's, you don't have to contribute to the profits of both the franchisee and McD's shareholders.

Too many are brain-washed by the power of branding.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Mar 11, 2016
22 posts
12 upvotes
Yes that was coupon price. Remember that minimum wage is $14.00 and that accounts for increases. If you get the Mcdonalds app. You can also save!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4467 posts
1568 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 4:06 pm
The only good deal I got from McD was the $1 big macs.

Otherwise, if I have to spend $10 then it's not worth it. Mind you I will need 2 burgers at the bare minimum. So it often raises the cost above $10 in order to satisfy me. On the other hand, $10 gets you through the door of Pizza Hut lunch buffet.
Calling 2 pizza choices, a salad and 1 pasta with 1 dessert a buffet is rather generous.

Yes, I have had it. It's alright. Just limited choice.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting thought: If McDonald's still has the $5 McDouble combo, you can order that, then order a second McDouble. Create a double McDouble (or whatever you want to call it) and the total price is STILL cheaper than ordering a Big Mac combo.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5663 posts
749 upvotes
Scarborough
Did the filet fish combo go up in price recently ?? Damn if it did. Even the sandwich is like expensive for its small size
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14671 posts
2738 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 6:14 pm
Did the filet fish combo go up in price recently ?? Damn if it did. Even the sandwich is like expensive for its small size
The coupon went up. It's now $6.29 for the combo.