• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 11:59 am
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
660 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 1:22 pm
speaking of mcdcks...i had chicken mcnuggets in the SoCal...why they taste so much better than Toronto one's?
I find the US nuggets disgusting. It's dry and taste like the bk nuggets we have here

US nuggets are cheap but taste awful
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1300 posts
452 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Shimso wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 9:38 pm
Canada:
Boneless skinless chicken breast meat, water, vegetable oil (canola, corn, soybean and hydrogenated soybean oil), wheat flour, yellow corn flour, modified corn starch, rice starch, salt, baking powder, seasoning [wheat starch, yeast extract, salt, natural flavour (vegetable source)], spices, canola oil, sodium aluminum phosphate, dextrose, wheat starch, corn starch

USA:
White Boneless Chicken, Water, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Bleached Wheat Flour, Yellow Corn Flour, Vegetable Starch (Modified Corn, Wheat, Rice, Pea, Corn), Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Lactate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Spices, Yeast Extract, Lemon Juice Solids, Dextrose, Natural Flavors.
Looks like it may be the yeast extract (umami) and lemon crystals (acidity).
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 6:20 pm
Cheaper too. Canadians always get ripped off in everything.
If they were the exact same ingredient list for both Canada & USA you would make more sense, but there is a difference, and one may cost more to make.
Better quality? The ingredient list of both is now there to examine carefully...
Aug 26, 2018
424 posts
307 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 10:48 pm
If they were the exact same ingredient list for both Canada & USA you would make more sense, but there is a difference, and one may cost more to make.
Better quality? The ingredient list of both is now there to examine carefully...
I see it. But there is no way for us nobodies to tell what the cost of production is based entirely on the list of ingredients, since we have no idea as to proportions of each ingredient used in the actual recipe.

But from the list alone, the US nuggets may use more ingredients than the Canadian one. Many of those are probably used in small amounts only. But how does one determines manufacturing costs?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1300 posts
452 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Made in Canada with Canadian chickens and made in the U.S. with presumably U.S. chickens. I'd imagine low wages in a southern state and larger processing plant (economies of scale) have something to do with it.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Aug 26, 2018
424 posts
307 upvotes
I don't know why they use white meat only. Maybe they can drive costs down some more if they used the dreaded dark meat, which incidentally taste better too. When I go to KFC, I order all dark meat. Not only is it cheaper, it tastes 100X better. Perhaps McD can drive costs down a little with dark meat nuggets.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 5:05 pm
I don't know why they use white meat only. Maybe they can drive costs down some more if they used the dreaded dark meat, which incidentally taste better too. When I go to KFC, I order all dark meat. Not only is it cheaper, it tastes 100X better. Perhaps McD can drive costs down a little with dark meat nuggets.
https://yourquestions.mcdonalds.ca/answ ... -old-days/
Jan 6, 2010
317 posts
336 upvotes
Montreal, QC
So I just got a Sausage McMuffin (no egg) this morning. Rang up at $1.99 + tx wut. Up until a few weeks ago, it was my go-to when I didn't have time because it was $1.69.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13593 posts
2306 upvotes
Toronto
Deriot wrote:
Aug 31st, 2018 11:04 am
So I just got a Sausage McMuffin (no egg) this morning. Rang up at $1.99 + tx wut. Up until a few weeks ago, it was my go-to when I didn't have time because it was $1.69.
If you're going with no egg, check the prices other places. TH, 7 11, etc (except 7 11 means you have to take the time to self heat the sandwich)
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17804 posts
867 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:
Aug 30th, 2018 5:05 pm
Sounds nasty tbh
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7816 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Mc Donalds just a couple hundred feet from me.
I only buy from there if I have guests that request it.I went in twice this year.
In May on a busy Friday afternoon I paid approx $13 for two big mac combos.
I had to ask the cashier if this was right after reading this thread for some time, and as they do not posts the prices up on the board behind the cashier.
She confirmed it was correct.
I felt this was a good deal considering I expected to pay around $9 per combo based on this thread.
Fastforward to the same Mc Donalds on a different day of the week in August and two exact combos came up to just under $20.
Based on this thread this is what I also expected back in May.
Not sure what accounts for the price difference on these two occasions though.
I don't care for Mc Donalds otherwise apart from when I have guests.
Both guests actually enjoyed it though, claiming it was much better than the same item from their country.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5011 posts
1318 upvotes
Aurora
gh05t wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 11:11 am
I only buy from there if I have guests that request it.I went in twice this year.
I had to ask the cashier if this was right after reading this thread for some time, and as they do not posts the prices up on the board behind the cashier.
I felt this was a good deal considering I expected to pay around $9 per combo based on this thread.
Fastforward to the same Mc Donalds on a different day of the week in August and two exact combos came up to just under $20.
Both guests actually enjoyed it though, claiming it was much better than the same item from their country.
Yesterday, my wife and I had dim sum at Landmark Seafood Cuisine. 20 with tip.
The week before that I went with my wife and son to Congee Queen and had a med bowl of congee and a chow mein. ~20.
A month ago my wife and I shared a lamb roti dinner at Taste of the Islands (Caribbean place) - totally stuffed. 17.
Had 7.99 ea for 2 pizza deal at Domino's. About 19.

There are so many other alternatives than McDonald's that are the same price or cheaper and, in my opinion of course, much more satisfying. I often wonder why I go other than my son likes it due to the McD's brainwashing.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4266 posts
1317 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 11:11 am
Sounds like they gave you the coupon price in May and the regular price in August.

Even today, the coupon price for 1 Big Mac Combo is $6.29 ($7.11 after tax taxes) 2 Combos are $11.58 (this is correct, not $12.58) or $13.09 after taxes.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4266 posts
1317 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 12:02 pm
Yesterday, my wife and I had dim sum at Landmark Seafood Cuisine. 20 with tip.
The week before that I went with my wife and son to Congee Queen and had a med bowl of congee and a chow mein. ~20.
A month ago my wife and I shared a lamb roti dinner at Taste of the Islands (Caribbean place) - totally stuffed. 17.
Had 7.99 ea for 2 pizza deal at Domino's. About 19.

There are so many other alternatives than McDonald's that are the same price or cheaper and, in my opinion of course, much more satisfying. I often wonder why I go other than my son likes it due to the McD's brainwashing.
As illustrated above, You can still get McD's for a decent price with coupons. I would say that all of the other options you posted used to be 20-30% cheaper as well.

Ultimately .....

McD's with coupons is probably decent value compared to other options.
McD's with no coupons is not worth it in 2018.
Value Picks for the most part are no longer fantastic value as they used to be. Probably learned that most weren't buying anything else beside the cheap stuff.

I used to be upset with McDonald's and it's increases, but you can see that pretty much everyone else has also increased. Be honest, is dim sum as cheap as it used to be?

If McDonald's was really over charging, why don't you (or anyone else) start a clone that sells the same stuff for less?
Last edited by renoldman on Sep 3rd, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.