• Oct 21st, 2017 12:01 am
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25655 posts
5833 upvotes
GTHA
Messerschmitt wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:20 pm
I just hope McD will not subsidies the ON employees wages by increasing the prices Canada wide. I hope they only increase the prices in ON to pay for the new minimum wage. You ON people elected Waynne, have fun with her and make sure you elect her again I guess

And of course this does not go only for McD
Fyi, Alberta's minimum wage will increase to $15 per hour on October 1, 2018.

Ontario boosting the general minimum wage from the October 1st rate of $11.60 per hour to $14 per hour on January 1, 2018 and $15 per hour the following year is just a proposal for now.

from http://www.slaw.ca/2017/09/28/october-1 ... increases/
Dec 28, 2015
408 posts
116 upvotes
Westmount, QC
kool1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:34 pm
Costs of operating in Ontario are very high. High taxes, labor and power. Government doesn't get it and Ontario should be booming right now. It's not.

McDonalds is still pricey vs. BK but ya.. they still have some decent value menu stuff and their app has good deals.
Ontario is booming, strong jobs and economy growth compared to rest of country ..just not for garbage businesses who are failing on their own and blaming others....

Like Sears and other crappy small businesses that rely on slave labor for a non viable business model in a developed country

Electricity prices are a non factor due to technology, it's the dinosaur businesse who don't adapt like Sears go under.
I mean a huge electricity consumer opens up

https://www.bisnow.com/toronto/news/dat ... lity-74996
TOR1 will eventually cover 226K SF over three floors with a critical power capacity of 46 MW. Twenty-three state-of-the-art computer rooms will be built, each over 8K SF.
DFT operates 12 data centres in three major U.S. markets. Current data clients include Microsoft, Facebook, Dropbox and GoDaddy. O’Keefe said his company was attracted to Toronto both for its size and its burgeoning tech industry.
“It’s the fourth-biggest city centre in North America. And it has been making a strong, sustained move towards technology. [Toronto] is very much data-centric and data-driven,” he said.
Converting an old newspaper printing plant was a bit of a leap for DFT.

Metcalfe said one crucial component of any good data centre is consistent power. Power outages can play havoc with data.
TOR1 will have built-in power and cooling redundancies in each computer room to deal with any and all power issues, as well as every day, round-the-clock security and maintenance.
“Power on average can go out six times a year,” Metcalfe said. “What we provide is a safe haven.”
O’Keefe said what sets DFT data centres apart is scale and the ability to evolve with time.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
at1212b wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:13 pm
Well we had to pay the Piper to the TTC as Ontario was sinking in its credit rating which is why they offloaded anything (especially the TTC) they could to do the city. Thank NDP and the recession for that. It's like calling your parents evil for making you take that nasty cold medicine.
The Ontario NDP was stuck trying to fix the mess the Liberals created before that. Liberals LIED! They said there was money when there was not!!
Maybe it's a good thing there are people who do not agree with me, since a minority NDP is what I'm aiming for anyway...if everyone agreed, then we tilt too far to the left under a majority.
We need balance in Ontario. (not left NDP, Not right conservative) and that is why everyone keeps voting the liberals in.
Liberals screwed up so bad that it is time for a minority NDP to have a chance once again.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7984 posts
1231 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:59 pm
The real problem here is, a successful business should be able to handle $12/hr when the wage is $11.60, (without raising prices) but $14/hr makes even myself find trouble trying to dispute your point.
It's not even the $14 - I'm ok with $14 over 3 years. Doing it all at once is a huge shock for a company with a lot of labor costs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
7984 posts
1231 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:37 am
Ontario is booming, strong jobs and economy growth compared to rest of country ..just not for garbage businesses who are failing on their own and blaming others....

Like Sears and other crappy small businesses that rely on slave labor for a non viable business model in a developed country

Electricity prices are a non factor due to technology, it's the dinosaur businesse who don't adapt like Sears go under.

Ontario is NOT booming. Growth has been ok this year but it could be so much better, I am not talking about Sears at all.

You clearly have never run a small business if you think electricity costs and wages are a non-issue.

Here is what you will see more of in the months ahead - lost jobs :

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/metro-gr ... -1.3627642
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:58 am
You clearly have never run a small business if you think electricity costs and wages are a non-issue.
HA! Electricity costs... "Energy Minister Glenn Thibeault charged that Brown’s Tories are keeping voters in the dark on what their party would do about hydro rates as part of a strategy to “hide for as long as you can” in advance of next year’s election."
Source: https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... -year.html
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15202 posts
4265 upvotes
Ottawa
Damn, $1.99 for a Jr McChicken...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:40 am
Damn, $1.99 for a Jr McChicken...
How much was it before? I think used to change from franchise to franchise, but now it's the same price everywhere.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15202 posts
4265 upvotes
Ottawa
playnicee1 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:55 am
How much was it before? I think used to change from franchise to franchise, but now it's the same price everywhere.
$1.79
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3836 posts
1027 upvotes
$2 for a non-customizable Junior McChicken or a McDouble?

Man, these were like $1.39 not too long ago. Coffee and a muffin and even the Sausage McMuffin were the same.

Would love to see my wage increase 20-30% so I could rationalize the increase.

Looks like I will be spending more Lunches and Dinners at the finer establishments in Toronto this year.

The ones ran by church groups and the Salvation Army.

Thanks Kathleen.

At least Metro Newspapers is still free so I can make a bullet/knife vest when I go to the better ones.

See, watching the TV show OZ has given me valuable life information.

Seems more useful than the Ontario College Diploma and University Degree I got right about now.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1191 posts
333 upvotes
Was $1.39 under a year ago. 50% increase in price is outrageous. Either they were losing money on this before, or they're taking full advantage of the coming increases in minimum wages to increase profits.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26832 posts
1674 upvotes
Winnipeg
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:37 am

says the person in quebec, ontario power cost easily doubles and more
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Dec 16, 2015
620 posts
215 upvotes
Canada
badOne wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:24 am
Was $1.39 under a year ago. 50% increase in price is outrageous. Either they were losing money on this before, or they're taking full advantage of the coming increases in minimum wages to increase profits.
How much does it cost to make a junior chicken?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 3:00 am
How much does it cost to make a junior chicken?
Exactly! That's the missing information here! Plus, at a lower price, more are sold.
Dec 28, 2015
408 posts
116 upvotes
Westmount, QC
divx wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:32 am
says the person in quebec, ontario power cost easily doubles and more
Yet big power consumption business are locating to Ontario