• Aug 1st, 2018 3:26 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12981 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 12:05 pm
I still don't think a breakfast sandwich for $4 isn't that bad... who really has time to make one in the morning when you are running behind
$4 is a rip off. It's not hot and cold running water.
If I can get one at 7 11 for less I will go there.
Tim Horton's new regular price is $3.49. (a 20 cent increase as of last monday)
McDonald's is going to hopefully learn the hard way that their prices are too high.

Plus also, it's easy to make the sandwich at home with one of these:

Jul 6, 2008
691 posts
135 upvotes
London
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 9:15 pm
McDonald's is going to hopefully learn the hard way that their prices are too high.

hmm at least mcdonalds uses a fresh egg
meanwhile tims is pre-frozen
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4506 posts
777 upvotes
Aurora
The only thing tricky about making a Ham and Egg McMuffin at home is getting the shape of the egg nice and round. And that could be done by cooking the egg in a frying pan inside a tuna can with both ends cut open, or even a Starbucks cardboard ring that fits over a cup. Breakfast sandwich maker not even necessary.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4417 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 4:30 pm
The only thing tricky about making a Ham and Egg McMuffin at home is getting the shape of the egg nice and round. And that could be done by cooking the egg in a frying pan inside a tuna can with both ends cut open, or even a Starbucks cardboard ring that fits over a cup. Breakfast sandwich maker not even necessary.
or u can use an onion 'ring'. Slice an onion thickly and peel out one of the rings. Several sizes for you to choose too.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12981 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
ericlewis91 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 4:20 pm
hmm at least mcdonalds uses a fresh egg
meanwhile tims is pre-frozen
Honestly, I don't mind pre-frozen as long as quality is there. (ie slightly thicker sausage)
What McDonald's makes up for in freshness, they seem to cut back on size, portion, etc...
The TH breakfast sandwich with egg and sausage on an english muffin does still manage to taste very good.
(I doubt I'll bother much at $3.49, but the $1.99 coupon gets me in there!)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
8888 posts
1671 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 9:15 pm

I have one of these - works great. My kids use it all the time.

$4 is a rip off for a egg mcmuffin. Got one for $1 with the app this morning though - great deal!

:-)
Dec 5, 2005
780 posts
103 upvotes
Don't go to McDs much but may be going even less now (unless their App has a good deal).

WM McDs (compared to separate stores) seem to charge around 50 cents more for items like a Big Mac. A cheeseburger was $1.99 at a WM McDs today. Their menu screen didn't even show items like McDouble or the bacon Cheeseburger.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1104 posts
144 upvotes
Markham, ON
The printed price of my local newspaper went up by a dollar.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12981 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:37 pm
The printed price of my local newspaper went up by a dollar.
Less competition = higher price.
http://business.financialpost.com/pmn/b ... t-acquired

$4 for the Saturday Star print edition is a rip off. I have better things to do with my money.

Good point though that it's costing McDonald's a lot more money now to advertise in newspapers!
Jan 3, 2017
308 posts
218 upvotes
This thread make me laugh. Something goes up in price 20-30 cents and you are about to riot and go elsewhere. Meanwhile min wage goes up 25% and the attitude is "about time" and "suck it up"
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12981 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
fryguy1987 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:28 pm
This thread make me laugh. Something goes up in price 20-30 cents and you are about to riot and go elsewhere. Meanwhile min wage goes up 25% and the attitude is "about time" and "suck it up"
BUT the idea, believe it or not is to actually leave prices alone and sell a lot more.
(or even try more upselling)

Instead of driving prices up, drive them down, knowing that a higher wage means more people are willing to spend more, more often.

The more a person believes they have money to spend, the more willing they are to part with it, but when prices climb, it encourages less spending...period.

A&W gets that. That's why, for a limited time only, their current coupon for a Mama burger combo is now only $3.99 in Ontario, which also keeps the price under $4, allowing for only a 5% tax on the combo instead of 13%...

Oh and...not that it matters, but 25% = $14.50, not $14.
Jan 3, 2017
308 posts
218 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:04 am
BUT the idea, believe it or not is to actually leave prices alone and sell a lot more.

Instead of driving prices up, drive them down, knowing that a higher wage means more people are willing to spend more, more often.

The more a person believes they have money to spend, the more willing they are to part with it, but when prices climb, it encourages less spending...period.

A&W gets that. That's why, for a limited time only, their current coupon for a Mama burger combo is now only $3.99 in Ontario, which also keeps the price under $4, allowing for only a 5% tax on the combo instead of 13%...

How does what you just wrote change anything that I just said? Nothing changes. Prices go up 20 cents and you guys complain and are prepared to riot. Meanwhile business labor costs go up 25% and the same people have the "suck it up" mentality.

The fact remains that if If the government really wanted to give min wage earners more money in their pocket at the end of the day they could easily reduce taxes for those earning min wage instead. It will create the same effect. But instead, the government passed the costs onto the business, so it's no surprise that business will react the same way. But that's kind of getting off topic.

Oh and...not that it matters, but I have corrected your incorrect math on this before in a different topic and you still continue to choose to ignore the correct information after you factor in the increased costs of CPP, EI and vacation pay which works out to more than $14.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2436 posts
736 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:04 am

Well when places keep the price the same and make the item cheaper to make (ie Tim Hortons donuts) it seems everyone is still upset.

Although I understand what you're saying, to keep the price the same ad the product the same and try to sell more which leads to higher profit. It's just a lot harder and probably less successful that way. Im sure they've thought of that option
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
12981 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
fryguy1987 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:27 am
Oh and...not that it matters, but I have corrected your incorrect math on this before in a different topic and you still continue to choose to ignore the correct information after you factor in the increased costs of CPP, EI and vacation pay which works out to more than $14.
I think you're mixing me up with someone else. Plus also, it's not a 25% increase. The issue spoken of is only the actual hourly wage, not the rest of the problem. That still makes your math $14.50, not $14.
You clearly said "The minimum wage".
The increased costs of CPP, EI, and vacation pay are separate facts.

The thing that scares me to death is, if we all went on your logic, there would never be a Dollarama or Dollar tree store, long before the wage even had a chance to reach $14.

Prices at McDonald's have room to come down and still function as a profitable business.
Draw an x on a piece of paper and put a dot in the middle of that x.
I still conclude that the price at that dot can be lower than what McDonald's charges currently, but not all that much lower, unfortunately.
It may very well be that the current menu pricing is simply subsidizing the app specials.