Hot Deals

[McDonalds] Vanilla soft serve cones for $1 (June 4th-September 2nd)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2019 5:44 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24331 posts
4618 upvotes
MastaOogway wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 9:52 pm
can you chose to not have it in a cone for the same price.
What they do is weird... You can do this but they still give you the cone but they put it upside down in a sundae cup. Not sure why, possibly because it's less ice cream than a sundae and it's a way of measuring it out that way. Most McD's I've been to do this, so I'm guessing it's the "official" method.

Anyway the one nice thing about McD's ice cream is it is somehow inadvertently lactose free it seems. McD's even cautions that it should indeed have lactose but I've had it several times (sundaes, McFlurries) since becoming intolerant (damn aging!) and I never seem to have any issues later on :)
Jul 30, 2018
17 posts
11 upvotes
Great deal, but I just ordered through the app and went to go pick it up... by the time I walked there it said unavailable. At that point, the app froze and I had to restart my phone. I tried again, and no luck... turns out they were cleaning the machine and said to come back later. I wasted half an hour and ended up paying more for a smoothie. Bunk
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24331 posts
4618 upvotes
canada_dry wrote:
Jun 4th, 2019 6:29 pm
Wish Burger King would bring back their $1 cone!

McDonald's ice cream leaves a weird waxy coating in your mouth. Burger King was actual cream/milk based, not some frozen edible oil crap.
:rolleyes: Not sure who told you that...
McD's wrote:Vanilla Ice Milk:
Milk ingredients, sugar, modified milk ingredients, glucose, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, carrageenan, cellulose gum, natural flavour, sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate.
Guar gum, carrageenan, and cellulose are common thickening agents in soft serve and in milkshakes, none of them are "edible oil" however. Cream, nope but cream is often not found in soft serve either because the milk fat content is much lower than ice cream (can't get low milk fat when you're using cream).

For comparison, DQ's soft-serve ingredient list is nearly identical:
DQ wrote: Artificially Flavored Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milkfat And Nonfat Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Mono And Diglycerides, Artificial Flavor, Guar Gum, Polysorbate 80, Carrageenan, Vitamin A Palmitate,
They got some whey in there and vitamin A, but they use artificial flavour, while McD's does not. Somehow DQ also has the balls to call it "ice cream" when it's pretty clearly soft serve.
Feb 6, 2013
412 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
ForbiddenX wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 1:14 pm
Get one of them before work and one of them after. problem solved
Breakfast of champions.
Dinner of winners.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4514 posts
1757 upvotes
RoseTech wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 2:28 am
Breakfast of champions.
Dinner of winners.
Winner of the award for the circle of champions, diabetic division.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1077 posts
816 upvotes
Is it a weird childhood memory of mine that once upon a time you paid like $0.10 or something and they dipped these in chocolate back in the day (~20 years ago)
Nov 3, 2005
197 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
I tried to order these in a cup yesterday because it's easier for the kids to eat with a spoon, but they said they cannot do that because it's only $1 right now.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3502 posts
1430 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Puissance wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 7:46 am
I tried to order these in a cup yesterday because it's easier for the kids to eat with a spoon, but they said they cannot do that because it's only $1 right now.
That makes no sense, they just flip over the ice cream and place in cup.

It's an option on the Kiosk (at the bottom - not top, where customize usually is) and in the App. I had no issue ordering one myself yesterday from a Kiosk.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12557 posts
638 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 7:09 pm

Anyway the one nice thing about McD's ice cream is it is somehow inadvertently lactose free it seems. McD's even cautions that it should indeed have lactose but I've had it several times (sundaes, McFlurries) since becoming intolerant (damn aging!) and I never seem to have any issues later on :)
I can't say the same for myself. After eating a mcflurry I basically have an hour before I better be next to a toilet...
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11187 posts
1414 upvotes
Mississauga
Puissance wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 7:46 am
You went to a location with a cheapskate manager then. I was getting it to go and couldn't hold it, so I asked for it in a cup. They gave me that with the cone inverted.
Nov 3, 2005
197 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
b0ne wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 8:20 am
That makes no sense, they just flip over the ice cream and place in cup.

It's an option on the Kiosk (at the bottom - not top, where customize usually is) and in the App. I had no issue ordering one myself yesterday from a Kiosk.
I used the app to order them and selected to have them in a cup. They called my order number and told me that they can't put it in a cup because it's only $1. I'm guessing that providing sundae cups will cut into their margins? Could be just that location or the person making it...
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2810 posts
639 upvotes
Mississauga
Ask for a small water cup. Drink / spill the water flip your own cone into the cup. Problem solved.
You kids really need to use your imagination a bit.
Jul 23, 2007
712 posts
324 upvotes
Vancouver
1 min 1 cone
60 min 60 cone
24 hours 1440 cone
90 days 129600 cones
In happy to consume themGrinning FaceGrinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes