Food & Drink

McDonald's Will Test All-Day Breakfast (San Diego)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2016 8:47 pm
Tags:
None
Jul 16, 2008
898 posts
249 upvotes

McDonald's Will Test All-Day Breakfast (San Diego)

Good news for all those hoping that this day would eventually come!

According to the Huffington Post: Article

[QUOTE]Update: According to a McDonald's representative, starting in April, the chain will begin testing all-day breakfast at select restaurants in the San Diego area.

If you've dreamed of a day in which Egg McMuffins could be purchased way after the weekday 10:30 a.m. cut-off, you may be in luck: McDonald's plans to test all-day breakfast in the coming months, CNBC reports.

"Our industry sources inform us that McDonald's US plans to test all-day breakfast -- breakfast items for sale throughout the 24-hour day -- in one domestic market, with the test set to begin within the next month or two," Janney Capital Markets revealed in a note on Monday.

Experts have previously explained that McDonald's limited breakfast hours exist due to kitchen limitations.

Scott Hume at BurgerBusiness.com told Business Insider that Mickey D's hasn't capitalized on breakfast because of capacity issues. Come 10:30 a.m., the chain relies on its toasters and grills for other menu favorites, like chicken nuggets and burgers. For breakfast, McDonald's doesn't currently offer a made-to-order option. "Its customer traffic is too great for that," Hume told Business Insider. "So eggs and sausage are pre-cooked and held for breakfast sandwich assembly."

HuffPost has contacted McDonald's for comment -- we'd like to know what will change to enable the kitchen to host McMuffins and McNuggets in harmony. This story will be updated when we hear back. [/QUOTE]
79 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
1347 posts
143 upvotes
And in other news, Duckdown has decided to move to San Diego. lol.

Hope that they try it here, too.
Dec 17, 2003
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
This will work, I literally only buy coffee, oatmeal and McMuffin's from McD's.
Jul 16, 2008
898 posts
249 upvotes
I'm guessing that breakfast items are less profitable, hence why they don't? I know the article claims "kitchen limitations," but there is only so much of a mark-up for eggs, etc. that customers would be willing to pay. As others have mentioned, they could easily have dedicated an area to breakfast items in the hundreds of new restaurants built over the last decade.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Shawns13 wrote: I'm guessing that breakfast items are less profitable, hence why they don't? I know the article claims "kitchen limitations," but there is only so much of a mark-up for eggs, etc. that customers would be willing to pay. As others have mentioned, they could easily have dedicated an area to breakfast items in the hundreds of new restaurants built over the last decade.
There's a ton of profit in breakfast. Arguably more than lunch.
$3 for a breakfast sandwich that costs them $0.30-$0.50?

It's a space and equipment thing. Kitchens are only so big and you need an entirely separate griddle for eggs.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
Wait, are they serving all the breakfast items? All they need are egg mcmuffins, so easy. Keep the damn mcmuffins all day long will do.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
IMWHFMPC wrote: All they need are egg mcmuffins, so easy. Keep the damn mcmuffins all day long will do.
This is actually the hard part.
Or rather anything with eggs.
Jul 16, 2008
898 posts
249 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: There's a ton of profit in breakfast. Arguably more than lunch.
$3 for a breakfast sandwich that costs them $0.30-$0.50?

It's a space and equipment thing. Kitchens are only so big and you need an entirely separate griddle for eggs.
Interesting!
Jul 18, 2014
727 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They don't need all day breakfast. Just all day sausage mcmuffin. Seriously their sausage mcmuffin is good enough for whole day consumption. The rest of the stuff like hot cakes and mcgriddle and stuff are clearly a breakfast item. Still, it might suit some folks but I think you only need sausage mcmuffin all day to make it work.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
I would do fine with the sausage egg mcmuffin as well.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
I just want hashbrowns all day!
Jul 18, 2014
727 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Raggie wrote: I would do fine with the sausage egg mcmuffin as well.
I prefer mine without the egg. The get the version with the egg and pay the with egg price for breakfast, but I ask them to separate it. Then I get egg + sausage mcmuffin separate. Personal taste but they taste better eaten separately I think.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4731 posts
2788 upvotes
This would actually make me patronize McD's from time to time. I only eat their breakfast items.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9003 upvotes
Toronto
Do they still have the breakfast burrito? I used to love those!!
Dec 14, 2010
507 posts
236 upvotes
Sausage and egg mcmuffin all day every day! Definitely would pop into McD's more often if that was served all day. Sometimes the 5:00am-11:00am time frame just doesn't work.

When I went back to Hong Kong last year and saw the sausage and egg mcmuffin on their all day menu I was so shocked. I literally stood there gaping at the menu and my HK friend's were so confused. All those lies about the kitchen not be able to accommodate both..
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
It's a step in the right direction, but just because the US McDonald's is considering it, doesn't mean it's even on the Canadian McDonald's radar.

However, if it is hugely successful, then Canadian McDonald's tends to copy them.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
This will do a killing. All day I think people crave that Egg or Sausage McMuffin with a hashbrown.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
ALL MY HARD WORK AND FORUM SPAMMING IS PAYING OFF !!!!

San Diego you are *****ing welcome!