Shopping Discussion

Is it me or banana republic is on sale ALL the time ??

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 2:12 am
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
616 posts
138 upvotes

Is it me or banana republic is on sale ALL the time ??

Lol. Not hating. Just found it funny. When do people ever buy them at full price
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5195 posts
1565 upvotes
Alberta
Banana Republic could have a Black Friday Sale 365 days a year and I still won't shop there.
Jun 2, 2012
109 posts
89 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Yes, them and Old Navy/Gap.

It’s hard to game because they change prices all the time and discounts every day.

So the actual price you pay for an item doesn’t change much. The combination of random price changes and different daily discounts always seems to result in about the same price day to day.

At least for kids clothes.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1074 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
They really are. There's no excuse to pay more than 60-70% of retail for anything at BR, Gap or Old Navy, and can often find things for way cheaper between stacked coupons or coupons on top of existing sales.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3869 posts
1052 upvotes
You have to understand their business model. Isn't this the same with most clothing retailers? The MSRP is marked up considerably so you have to wait for 30% off minimum.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2069 posts
685 upvotes
A bit dated info., but I remember seeing a documentary from the mid-1990s, which revealed it costs brand-name clothing companies $1-$2 per article, which they sell in-stores at $50, before discounts. The $1-$2 price included the cost in making the article overseas, shipping it to Canada, paying import fees, and I think (but I'm not sure) the costs of having them sold in a brick-and-mortar store, here.

With inflation, some 25 years later, I would guesstimate it costs $4-$8, for articles selling at +$200, each, regular price. So, it's not difficult to see why they keep having these "sales." So, even when they are selling an article at 90% off, a $200 item would still sell for $20, well-above the cost price. If you're curious, Google "Gildan Canada shirt" to see how much it costs to buy directly from a Canadian manufacturer. You can buy shirts for $3.55, from them.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
616 posts
138 upvotes
Gmas wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 11:27 am
They really are. There's no excuse to pay more than 60-70% of retail for anything at BR, Gap or Old Navy, and can often find things for way cheaper between stacked coupons or coupons on top of existing sales.
Does stacked coupon still work ? I typically just go buy during that extra 50% or more off sales items . Not sure if there are cheaper ways
Jan 19, 2004
199 posts
37 upvotes
Just wait for Friends & Family. It's usually 40% + an additional 40% or 64% off total. Could be even more, given that they could have 60% + 40% or 76% off.
And if you have the discounted GAP gift cards at 20% off then you're rolling.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
19202 posts
5483 upvotes
gemenichic wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 10:15 am
Yes, them and Old Navy/Gap.
That's because they're all the same company.
Banned
Nov 13, 2018
11 posts
It’s not you. They are Always on sale now it seems. When is friends and family, that’s what I’m waiting for.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
616 posts
138 upvotes
Smellysocks13 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 12:32 pm
It’s not you. They are Always on sale now it seems. When is friends and family, that’s what I’m waiting for.
What is special about that sale?
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1280 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
yup them and like every other clothing stores. Rule number 1, never pay full price for clothes.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1050 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
They have sale every week...so therefore no loner a real sale..their style and quality has gone downhill...BR used to be my favorite store..I have not bought anything from them in over 4 years....Every time I walk in the store, the clothing looks like garbage.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3439 posts
918 upvotes
QC
Ck2 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 3:55 pm
Just wait for Friends & Family. It's usually 40% + an additional 40% or 64% off total. Could be even more, given that they could have 60% + 40% or 76% off.
And if you have the discounted GAP gift cards at 20% off then you're rolling.
That's my strategy too
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2751 posts
141 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 2:00 pm
A bit dated info., but I remember seeing a documentary from the mid-1990s, which revealed it costs brand-name clothing companies $1-$2 per article, which they sell in-stores at $50, before discounts. The $1-$2 price included the cost in making the article overseas, shipping it to Canada, paying import fees, and I think (but I'm not sure) the costs of having them sold in a brick-and-mortar store, here.

With inflation, some 25 years later, I would guesstimate it costs $4-$8, for articles selling at +$200, each, regular price. So, it's not difficult to see why they keep having these "sales." So, even when they are selling an article at 90% off, a $200 item would still sell for $20, well-above the cost price. If you're curious, Google "Gildan Canada shirt" to see how much it costs to buy directly from a Canadian manufacturer. You can buy shirts for $3.55, from them.
Pretty close to what the garment/retail industries model is for their margins through out their supply chain. Typically, the margin each transaction in the supply chain is about 3x. So a basic supply chain model for garments, Retail - Distributor - Manufacturer, the typical pricing would be a $40 shirt selling at a retail store, will cost the retailer $10 to buy from the distributor. Which in turn pays about $2-3 for the shirt from the contract manufacturer. This cost markup includes all the costs like transportation, manufacturing, marketing, licenses/royalties. Some garment companies will try to remove parts of the supply chain, and become a vertical integrated company to gain more shares of the margin, but the principal 3x is still valid.
Interestingly, the highest cost of the garments is not the shipping, labour, marketing expenses, but its the licensing and royalty fees. You'll be surprise at who actually owns and markets some of the brands out there.