Me > FutureShop

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2010 11:18 am
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes

Me > FutureShop

A friend of my wife's PC had been acting up, so she and her hubby took it to FS for repair. The PC continued to misbehave. The end result was 2 return trips, close to 2 months without a PC, and $200 in repair costs. The final verdict was that FS couldn't diagnose and fix the issue.

I had a preliminary diagnosis made over the phone, which I confirmed within 5 minutes after getting the PC. Turns out that during the first service call, FS caused a new problem which resulted in two return trips.

PSA: So, if you were considering FS for PC repair, you may wish to reconsider.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
14 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
Not trying to be difficult, but could you elaborate on the actual problem and the additional (new) problem FS had caused. I just hate ambiguity. :)
Nov 29, 2007
839 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria BC
eldiablo wrote: Not trying to be difficult, but could you elaborate on the actual problem and the additional (new) problem FS had caused. I just hate ambiguity. :)
The devil is in the details? :lol:
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
As best as I can reconstruct, the PC went in originally for a corrupted OS; I'm guessing a virus killed the boot files.

FS managed to backup the user data and do an OS retore, but in the process they misdiagnosed the 2nd HDD as bad (it wasn't) and...ready for this?... somehow loosened two ram chips out of their sockets.

This little foul-up caused the 2 return visits, because apparently nobody there is capable of troubleshooting RAM issues.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
A while back, I was doing a LOT of torrenting and came across this document (written for the Geek Squad) on methods to "extort" more fees from unsuspecting consumer for basic repairs. Be it FS or BB, I suspect their methods are as shady as some "techs" are willing to push the limits. Being inept and poorly trained seems to dominate many FS stores.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
eldiablo wrote: A while back, I was doing a LOT of torrenting and came across this document (written for the Geek Squad) on methods to "extort" more fees from unsuspecting consumer for basic repairs. Be it FS or BB, I suspect their methods are as shady as some "techs" are willing to push the limits. Being inept and poorly trained seems to dominate many FS stores.
You have GOT to expose that document. If it is indeed legit, I see a mass lawsuit coming...
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12603 posts
3028 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jon Lai wrote: You have GOT to expose that document. If it is indeed legit, I see a mass lawsuit coming...
It would probably be pretty hard to prove.
Mar 9, 2010
936 posts
96 upvotes
Seriously, who use FS to repair are pretty dumb.

Why? their knowledge only limit to a set of procedures. If it is not there, than it is not repairable.

These days, anyone can repair a PC. How hard is it to just ask Google for any questions related to the problem. Many people will offer suggestions and help.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Eiyaya wrote: Seriously, who use FS to repair are pretty dumb.

Why? their knowledge only limit to a set of procedures. If it is not there, than it is not repairable.

These days, anyone can repair a PC. How hard is it to just ask Google for any questions related to the problem. Many people will offer suggestions and help.
Hello, Eiyaya :D !

Well, There are people that are way to busy to be google'ing repair solutions for their messed up computers -- That's why they bring It to FS to get It repaired and just pay a fee.

Saves them time and other stuff, But yeah FS repair service seems shady In a way.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)