Computers & Electronics

XIOS DS Media Player Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 6:02 pm
Jul 8, 2012
229 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Lanky1 wrote: Have tried many mini boxes and HTPC setups .. Have not tried the HDMI android sticks .. However bought two PIVOS XIOS boxes with PM @ ME for $75 during black friday ncix had it for $35 dollars off $110 or whatever reg price is... These things are great and im only running android cant wait to up it to linux XBMC
XIOS is one of the few boxes that can sucsessfully find and play media on my cluttered 3TB segate usb drive .. However music player does not find files .. Photo and moviez no problem .. Have not set up my home network yet .. But have GB ethernet throughout and streaming should not be a problem with linux XBMC

Happy Holidays!!!

I just set up mine that is M3 and came with 4.0.4 ICS, loaded XBMC and everything. I have 2 issues.

1) I don't want it to sync my google services (like calendar alerts) but couldn't find how to disable that because there is no "Accounts and Sync" option to disable the google sync.

2) It's slow/ laggy as hell. Wfi speeds are fine - did speed tests for 10MBPS each way but anything I do (local, or over the internet) takes five or more minutes.

I tried to read the pivos forums but didn't find much useful. Would prefer not to create an account there and post my questions. Anyone know here what should I be doing?

Thanks.
-------------------
$9K+ spent in 4 years on purchases inspired by deals websites.
Jul 8, 2012
229 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I just realized - aren't you the Pivos employee at the forums?
LOL

Hi

Btw ME sent me M3 in case anyone wants to know.

Any tips on the laggy as hell issue? I haven't upgraded the firmware assuming that the M3 came with the Dec 15th ICS - should I?
-------------------
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
dhomas wrote: On sale now for 79.99$ at NCIX:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70955 ... omoid=1033

Or 89.99$ with the sense remote:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72576 ... omoid=1033

Is the extra 10$ bucks worth it for the Sense remote? What do you guys think?
$10 is a good price for wireless gyroscopic pointing device which can be used on your PC as well.
That said, if you will do heavy text entry, I would put the money towards a small keyboard/touch pad combo.
Sep 23, 2006
845 posts
160 upvotes
I am building a media player for someone who doesn't have internet, and was wondering if I could pre-scrape the movies for XBMC in ThumbGen or will XBMC scraping save to the USB HDD?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1534 posts
2211 upvotes
Montreal
aasoror wrote: $10 is a good price for wireless gyroscopic pointing device which can be used on your PC as well.
That said, if you will do heavy text entry, I would put the money towards a small keyboard/touch pad combo.
Thanks, aasoror. I already have a Logitech MX Air mouse, which I suppose could be used on the XIOS. In any case, I would probably use it with my Lenovo n5902 KB/Mouse combo. Thanks for helping me make my decision!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
So OP based on your 2nd post or whatever about the AIOS and XSIOS? Which one would you recommend out of the two? Kind of confused at that statement "What the AIOS can do but the XSIOS can't."
Blanka
Banned
Sep 24, 2006
4699 posts
206 upvotes
Picked one of these up yesterday from memoryexpress. Should have waited to see the deals this morning & grabbed it from ncix, which could have been in store pick up thursday. oh well
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Asmegin wrote: I am building a media player for someone who doesn't have internet, and was wondering if I could pre-scrape the movies for XBMC in ThumbGen or will XBMC scraping save to the USB HDD?
scrapped data will be saved on the internal XIOS flash (unless manually relinked), but yes, you can scrap online then use offline.
dhomas wrote: Thanks, aasoror. I already have a Logitech MX Air mouse, which I suppose could be used on the XIOS. In any case, I would probably use it with my Lenovo n5902 KB/Mouse combo. Thanks for helping me make my decision!
No problem I have the n5901 and you don't need anything else past this keyboard.
djemzine wrote: So OP based on your 2nd post or whatever about the AIOS and XSIOS? Which one would you recommend out of the two? Kind of confused at that statement "What the AIOS can do but the XSIOS can't."
Nothing has chanced much (except for the file bit rates listed in the second post, XIOS is now capable of higher bit rates than listed).
But the points still:
- no legacy ports (digital audio and component).
- no BR ISO support.
- no high def audio bitstreaming support.

So depending on your setup, if you have use for the above the AIOS would still be the way to go.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Nothing has chanced much (except for the file bit rates listed in the second post, XIOS is now capable of higher bit rates than listed).
But the points still:
- no legacy ports (digital audio and component).
- no BR ISO support.
- no high def audio bitstreaming support.

So depending on your setup, if you have use for the above the AIOS would still be the way to go.

Thanks for the confirmation/reply. That being said, I think I would like high def audio bistreaming support. So basically any 720P/1080P MKV I play off the AIOS will have stream HD audio right? As for BR ISO, all my BR rips are in MKV formats, so that's fine. Legacy ports - not needed but a nice thing to have down the road. The one thing that did catch my attention is that it has a drive bay for a SATA HDD which is really nice.

The AIOS also comes with Android OS and XMBC or? Is ICS laggy or smooth on the XIOS? Hmm seems like NCIX has it for $89.99 or $59.99 after a $30 MIR: http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=64162&promoid=1208

Also forgot to ask, do either have DLNA?
Blanka
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
djemzine wrote: So basically any 720P/1080P MKV I play off the AIOS will have stream HD audio right?
Not necessarily, HD audio must be included when the MKV is ripped, many will just use core 5.1 DTS/DD for space saving purposes.
The AIOS also comes with Android OS and XMBC or?
Comes with realtek OS, crappy in comparison of XBMC and Android but gets the task done (unless you are more into show casing your device than using it for media playback).
Is ICS laggy or smooth on the XIOS?
Smooth enough
Also forgot to ask, do either have DLNA?
Both will allow playback from UPnP servers.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Not necessarily, HD audio must be included when the MKV is ripped, many will just use core 5.1 DTS/DD for space saving purposes.

Comes with realtek OS, crappy in comparison of XBMC and Android but gets the task done (unless you are more into show casing your device than using it for media playback).

Smooth enough

Both will allow playback from UPnP servers.
Hmm... that being said, I just checked the audio on the Blu Ray MKV rips I have. They're 5.1 DTS and not the full 7.1 lol. Oh well. Now to decide the factor - do I really need to slab a 1TB SATA HDD for convenience sake. Or just hook up an external HD... lol

What do you think? Would appreciate it - i.e. about slabbing a HDD inside.
Blanka
Jul 8, 2012
229 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Kris81 wrote: Picked one of these up yesterday from memoryexpress. Should have waited to see the deals this morning & grabbed it from ncix, which could have been in store pick up thursday. oh well

I did the same, and found out ME has a 7 day post purchase price beat policy.
-------------------
Apr 5, 2007
143 posts
41 upvotes
Reviews on these are pretty bad. Are they moddable or something?
Jul 8, 2012
229 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
newporttiger wrote: Any tips on the laggy as hell issue? I haven't upgraded the firmware assuming that the M3 came with the Dec 15th ICS - should I?
bump :)
-------------------
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
djemzine wrote: What do you think? Would appreciate it - i.e. about slabbing a HDD inside.
Well, its meant to be a media streamer, in an optimal setup your media would reside on a NAS and accessed over the network.
That said an external would work as well (might not look as clean though), it all comes down to HD-audio and ISO support.
Octanum wrote: Reviews on these are pretty bad. Are they moddable or something?
Runs XBMC natively (and officially) with full hardware acceleration.
newporttiger wrote: bump :)
Upgrade to ICS 121512 (thats not the stock firmware) and follow up on the forums if you have further issues ;)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Runs XBMC natively (and officially) with full hardware acceleration.
Aasoror, how far away are they from getting XBMC to run with full hardware acceleration under Android v4 and up?

Also, are there any plans by Pivos to release the Xios in a black casing?
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Beradon wrote: Aasoror, how far away are they from getting XBMC to run with full hardware acceleration under Android v4 and up?

Also, are there any plans by Pivos to release the Xios in a black casing?
XBMC-Pivos-Android is running with full hardware acceleration under Android ICS since day one (July 30)
People just confuse XBMC-Pivos releases with XBMC-Mainline-Android

Nope, the black casing was meant for XIOS-XS but that is shelved for now since the decision to allow the XIOS-DS the upgrade instead.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)