Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2218 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
Konowl wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 9:55 am

For a senior member ... wow.

I like the idea of a weekly meat deals thread actually, good idea OP. Look - a newb with a great idea, and the senior member can't read!
the11thdoctor wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 10:03 am

Weekly meat deal thread is a great idea,
It's found here...

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/creatin ... #p27724142
versetile wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:05 am
Just adding a little something on a side note for my fellow RFDers. A little education on choosing Striploin cuts as I learned the "tough" way, while capitalizing on previous sales.

When you specifically choose striploin steak, the sirloin end of the striploin that contains a half-mooned shape is a tougher cut and contains very tough connective tissue.

They are usually mixed in with the bunch on sale (especially at Walmart). Look for the half moon and avoid it, unless you don't mind a little tougher steak.

Read this article for more detailed info
You know, everytime I eat an expensive steak, I regret just eating a burger. Maybe it's the fat I cut off, or the grizzle, or the bone. Sure, it's just "ground" in there, but tastes fine.
Last edited by beachlover on Aug 3rd, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2004
177 posts
13 upvotes
New Zealand lamp loin chops for $7.99 at Fortino's this week in the GTA. Pretty good deal for lamb!
Jan 20, 2011
889 posts
520 upvotes
Montreal-Ouest, QC
a_lavergne wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 6:58 am
Loblaws has bone-in strip loin steak for $6.77/lb - Canada AAA and 2-pack pork back ribs for $4.99/lb

Farm Boy has rib steaks at $9.99/lb and St. Louis cut side ribs for $3.99/lb. Good ribs for bbq'ing!

Metro has Black Diamond cheddar cheese for $4.44 per 450g block and lamb shoulder chops for $4.44/lb. They also have pork tenderloin for $3.99/lb
Sadly, the days of $4.99 beef seem to be gone, but these are decent prices for some long weekend grilling!
1Kg blackdiamond cheddar is 4.39!!!! at Costco this week
Pork ribs 2.77\lb at Super C
Boneless sirloin top strip 4.77\lb at super c
Paying full price for an item is a sin. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4860 posts
818 upvotes
Peterborough
rocking23nf wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:03 am
the walmart steak special is awesome, they had this deal on a few months ago, amazing steaks.
Are the WM steaks mechanically tenderized? I refuse to buy their meat. There's no reason at all to tenderize sirloin steak, but they do it. I cant for the life of me figure out why the mech tenerize supposed AAA beef of any cut.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8463 posts
1395 upvotes
dutchca wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 2:21 pm
Are the WM steaks mechanically tenderized? I refuse to buy their meat. There's no reason at all to tenderize sirloin steak, but they do it. I cant for the life of me figure out why the mech tenerize supposed AAA beef of any cut.
not the ones i bought.
Jun 13, 2017
5 posts
versetile wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 11:05 am
Just adding a little something on a side note for my fellow RFDers. A little education on choosing Striploin cuts as I learned the "tough" way, while capitalizing on previous sales.

When you specifically choose striploin steak, the sirloin end of the striploin that contains a half-mooned shape is a tougher cut and contains very tough connective tissue.

They are usually mixed in with the bunch on sale (especially at Walmart). Look for the half moon and avoid it, unless you don't mind a little tougher steak.

Read this article for more detailed info
As discriptive as this is, still can't visualize the difference. I don't buy steaks enough maybe. Can someone link me with pictures to spot the difference?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8463 posts
1395 upvotes
MoeMoe316 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 3:54 pm
As discriptive as this is, still can't visualize the difference. I don't buy steaks enough maybe. Can someone link me with pictures to spot the difference?
this is a great steak, these are normally 15-20$ each in the west, these are half price at walmart, a 2 pack will be around 15$, simply amazing, salt, pepper, some oil, grill it with a bit of pink inside, super tender, juicy, just awesome

Feb 8, 2015
656 posts
258 upvotes
North York, ON
No Frills- Pork Half Loin= $2 per lb, Pork Back Ribs= $3.00 per lb.
Pork Loin I sort thru for the best/ longest tenderloin and par freeze it. Take out and cut pork chops from the good end. The other 1/2 if it looks ok I save as a roast. Also save the weird sized chunks for souvlaki. The real garbage stuff I save for cabbage rolls.

Edit: I'm all stocked up as NF was selling the Pork Half Loin for $1.50 per lb a month? ago.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
1375 posts
358 upvotes
BC
Bordak wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:00 pm
This may interest you:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... etter.html
Thanks for that. I appreciate the science behind cooking. While I will keep this info in mind, I can say anecdotally, that I've had some really excellent tender meat on the bone of a T-bone when getting the last bit of meat I can... But I would say that's more tender than flavour.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3905 posts
1272 upvotes
MoeMoe316 wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 3:54 pm
Say you have a beef loin and cut it into 12 steaks, the 2 at the furthest hip/sirloin end are going to be "vein steaks" as MoeMoe describes. So 1/6 of the steaks are bad.

Then you have sirloin end, centre, and rib end.

The sirloin end look like one solid piece of beef with fat at the right end here and maybe a teeny tiny eye of meat in it; this is for people who want a leaner steak:

As you move to the centre cut there is more fat at the tail and a distinct eye of meat; this is the cut you usually get in a restaurant:

As you move towards the rib end that little eye of meat gets bigger and the tail end gets fattier. You can see two more eyes in the steak with the 2" tail. This is the succulent end of the loin.

A lot of people go for the steak that looks like it has the most meat and no extra fat, and that puts them in vein steak and sirloin end territory. Restaurants only serve center and rib cut. Buy the fatty ones.
[OP]
May 30, 2005
23 posts
43 upvotes
Ottawa
ispeedca wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:21 pm
I'll buy half the cheese to avoid costcos parking lot and rediculously long lines.
Feb 18, 2014
45 posts
18 upvotes
I prefer Capless Rib Steaks (ones that WM) have on sale over Striploin, they're not mechanically tenderized.
Dec 2, 2006
196 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
ispeedca wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2017 12:21 pm
Those are cheese slices at Costco. OP is talking about cheese blocks.
Jan 20, 2011
889 posts
520 upvotes
Montreal-Ouest, QC
valve wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 3:55 am
Those are cheese slices at Costco. OP is talking about cheese blocks.
It's sliced block cheese not singles so for the price... Unless you like to eat cheese in cubes it's the same exact cheese.
Paying full price for an item is a sin. :twisted: