• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2008 10:41 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 9, 2006
620 posts

Meat Slicer?

I'm starting to think about investing in a meat slicer instead of buying deli at the counters. Mainly because they're expensive but I started noticing there's alot of additives and perservatives for just some meat slices.

I'm not sure what to look for though. I know I don't want an industrial version one that sell for like +$600. Just something that works relatively well when slicing meat and for a fair price.

I was looking at Waring Pro Meat Slicer sold at [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink]. Can anyone comment on the performance of this model or suggest another one? Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17605 posts
741 upvotes
Brampton
I've looked into buying them before too

Problem is, the cheap ones are pretty bad. You'll have to freeze your meat just to get a somewhat thin slice or else it will just shred all over the place... And of course the good quality slicers, that don't require you to freeze before slicing costs an arm and a leg...

I still don't have one :/
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
The cheap ones (ie: waring pro) are apparently a PITA to clean after use...

I still don't have one either.
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I would recommend a Nella one.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
I have a cheap one, I cant stand using it because it is a pain to clean. I've never had a problem with how it slices, actually it slices really good.
About the only time I use it any more is when we have a get together and do a big roast and then slice it nice and thin for beef dip.
Its a Salton and is about $100 and can be found places like CanTire/Zellers/Walmart.

I have wanted to buy a better one, like the stainless steel ones. I have seen them on the Costco website (I know, I'm addicted to that site) and they vary in prices.. $600-$200. Right now the cheapest is in the $400 range.

If I had one that was easier to clean, I would definitely use it more.
That's my 2cents worth
Nov 29, 2006
222 posts
1 upvote
I bought one a few years back at Canadian Tire; I'm not sure how much it cost but it was under a hundred bucks. I use it mainly to cut tough beef cuts for jerky and to cut semi-frozen roast beef for Korean bulgogi (sp?). It works well enough for the once a month or so I use it and it really isn't so bad to clean, but if you are planning on making homemade cold cuts then the time cleaning the meat slicer is nothing compared to the time it takes to pickle or brine or smoke or prepare whatever hunk of meat you are planning on using. Unless of course you are buying something already prepped (then the nitrates and other added preservatives are still there).
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3373 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
+1 for the Nella slicer. A lot of times you can find used equipment at Nella (slicers included). Its going to be a hassle using an el-cheapo slicer. As duckdown said above, you will have to freeze the meat to get it thin with a cheap slicer.
Dec 28, 2005
374 posts
We have a nice one at the Quizno's I work at. I usually just bring in some ham or whatever and cut it for myself. :) Boss doesn't care.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'll also +1 for a Nella. We've had ours for probably 10 years now and we love it. It will slice anything without ripping ot shredding, without freezing. We quite often buy whole pork loins and huge, commercial sized pre-cooked roasts and turkey breasts and slice them up. It's one of those things that is absolutely worth the investment as you'll have it for years and years...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Dec 5th, 2008 11:02 am
I'll also +1 for a Nella. We've had ours for probably 10 years now and we love it. It will slice anything without ripping ot shredding, without freezing. We quite often buy whole pork loins and huge, commercial sized pre-cooked roasts and turkey breasts and slice them up. It's one of those things that is absolutely worth the investment as you'll have it for years and years...
:confused: Commercial sized roasts and turkey breast? Wow. How much nitrates do you need

Seriously though: is it a PITA to clean? How much is one of those bad boys?
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm not talking about deli type meats mart. What we buy are the institutional, cyro-vac'ed meats which are "real", cooked meat with no preservatives, additives, etc. Same type used and served in nursing homes, restaurants, hospitals, etc. We slice them up and use them for sandwiches as most would use deli meats.

Like I said we bought ours a good 10 years ago and I think we paid about $100-$150 then for it. It's completely stainless steel and really isn't bad to clean at all. The base and other piece (not sure what you call it, guard maybe?) come completely off and the blade is easy to get to clean as well. I can have it cleaned up and put away in about 10 minutes or so...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6224 posts
84 upvotes
Hmm.. that's tempting then. Pricing seems about 500$ these days though. Where can someone buy these roasts usually? Do you have special connections?
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
We get them through our connections in the food industry. I've heard though that National Grocerer's carries them though..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9377 posts
1550 upvotes
Toronto
I saw a smaller sized meat slicer at Kitchen Stuff Plus today for $100.
[OP]
Aug 9, 2006
620 posts
Thanks for the posts guys. I saw the Canadian Tire one that I mentioned on sale starting tomorrow at $99.99. Dunno if I'll buy it though. I think I'll go and take a look and then decide. I didn't really think about how easy it would be to dismantle and wash and stuff. I'll have to take that into consideration. We don't really do jerky at my house. So it'll really be for deli slicing and whatnot.
× < >