Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
MEC

Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire - $349.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2020 12:37 pm
Aug 18, 2014
35 posts
43 upvotes
Fort Nelson, BC

[MEC] Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire - $349.99

Garmin fenix 5x sapphire. $349.99 at mec. 40% off till April 9th

I missed the previous sale at best buy so jumped on this. Sharing the love. Happy hunting.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 5th, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
79 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
2043 posts
793 upvotes
Ottawa
ajk123 wrote:
I missed the previous sale at best buy so jumped on this. Sharing the love. Happy hunting.
What was the best buy deal?
Aug 18, 2014
35 posts
43 upvotes
Fort Nelson, BC
Same price. 40% off at $349
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Where can you really use this these days?

Still on a 3 HR Sapphire... Plan to wait for at least the 5X Plus to go on sale...
Aug 18, 2014
35 posts
43 upvotes
Fort Nelson, BC
chatbox wrote: Where can you really use this these days?
Communicate with a garmin computer on an indoor trainer to function as an extended screen as one feature for me. Nerd Face
May 2, 2015
706 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chatbox wrote: Where can you really use this these days?

Still on a 3 HR Sapphire... Plan to wait for at least the 5X Plus to go on sale...
I am using my Garmin to control my indoor trainer for the plans I have otherwise prepared to ride outside. As the heart rate sensor is very accurate, I am also watching my heart rate trends more closely.. just in case as things are bad outside.
Aug 23, 2019
577 posts
738 upvotes
Looking to buy a smartwatch. I am not a very sporty person(I can be if I want too and I am fit enough) anymore.
Opinions on this? Or suggestions? I like the idea of Samsung,Apple, Fossil (and look) buy I can't justify buying 400$ watch that last 1 day.
Was thinking of huawei gt2 but its os is very limited.
Jan 5, 2015
31 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks OP! I was waiting for a sale for the Fenix 5, and having the 5X Sapphire at this price was a no brainer. Appreciate you sharing your find!
Aug 18, 2014
35 posts
43 upvotes
Fort Nelson, BC
TopherC wrote: Thanks OP! I was waiting for a sale for the Fenix 5, and having the 5X Sapphire at this price was a no brainer. Appreciate you sharing your find!
Enjoy my man, I'm just as excited. Upgrading to this from a Samsung s3 frontier which I used to love until Samsung throttled it with software issues killing the battery life.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
5X is super large .... as much as I think this is a good deal (if it fits) it looks ridiculous on my wrist.

And I'd very much like to have on-device music storage, too bad Fenix5 plus is still unreasonably expensive
Apr 1, 2015
411 posts
192 upvotes
Oakville
im still rocking my 235 hoping one day it will finally stop working so i can upgrade it... not a bad price
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2623 posts
3724 upvotes
GTA
While the price is good, the tech is old.
Sadly, smartwatches like these follow Moore’s Law. Great if it works for you now, but remember that you are buying old tech and you will need to upgrade sooner vs. buying newer tech. YMMV as always in life.

...says the guy also using an older garmin for right now
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2256 posts
6076 upvotes
Vancouver
UnderKitten wrote: Looking to buy a smartwatch.
I would look elsewhere then. These Garmins will buzz and give you a glimpse of your notifications, but that's about it. These are fitness watches with very light smartwatch features.

That said, if you want a fitness tracker then these are great! Even though the 5X is a generation old, it's still totally fine for fitness tracking. This is a good deal. I own a Fenix 5S and have really liked it.
Aug 23, 2019
577 posts
738 upvotes
coolwasabi wrote: I would look elsewhere then. These Garmins will buzz and give you a glimpse of your notifications, but that's about it. These are fitness watches with very light smartwatch features.

That said, if you want a fitness tracker then these are great! Even though the 5X is a generation old, it's still totally fine for fitness tracking. This is a good deal. I own a Fenix 5S and have really liked it.
Id say lm looking for good and somewhat accurate tracking rather than smart stuff(nfc pay would be nice to have though). I dont care about music from smartwatch or message replying.
My main competitor is fitbit versa 2.
Jan 14, 2017
712 posts
400 upvotes
If you're using this as a daily driver, keep in mind this is missing Pulse Ox which is a fantastic feature to have.

Even some of the cheaper Garmin's have this feature (Vivosmart 4, 245, etc). Great watch, great price but missing a key feature imho.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
MattSF wrote: im still rocking my 235 hoping one day it will finally stop working so i can upgrade it... not a bad price
Im using the same watch and still working great.Only issues is its too dim and the maps sucks.Yes I know its old technology.HR is some what accurate and its durable.I like this watch but its massive.I dont have a small wrist but this watch really sticks out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
UnderKitten wrote: Looking to buy a smartwatch. I am not a very sporty person(I can be if I want too and I am fit enough) anymore.
Opinions on this? Or suggestions? I like the idea of Samsung,Apple, Fossil (and look) buy I can't justify buying 400$ watch that last 1 day.
Was thinking of huawei gt2 but its os is very limited.
Here's a test:

Do you know what a VO2Max is?
Yes - consider the Garmin
No - buy the Samsung/Apple/Fossil and don't answer any more questions
Do you CARE what YOUR VO2Max is?
Yes - STRONGLY consider the Garmin
No - buy the Samsung/Apple/Fossil and don't answer any more questions

The Garmin Fenix line is a very sophisticated fitness tracker and it provides data on sports dynamics that other brands aren't beginning to consider. But it's not the best smart watch. Nor is it the most attractive watch. Still, I'm on my second Fenix. My first was a Fenix 3 sapphire and I have had the Fenix 5s sapphire for about 18 months. That being said, I do a number of sports and run marathons. Also, I can't begin to imagine why I would want text notifications, contactless payment, or music controls on my watch.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Mar 6, 2015
404 posts
1448 upvotes
New Brunswick
I strongly considered this watch during the Best Buy promo, until a friend who owns one showed me just how big it is. And I don't exactly have small wrists. Went with the Instinct instead. Unless you're a hardcore analytics athlete and can make use of all the bells and whistles this watch has I think it's overkill.

Plus, you could potentially throw your spine out of alignment wearing this thing. /s
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2009
1122 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There are 3 sizes: 5S, 5 and 5X

The 5X is massive, I have a large build and tried both the 6 and 6X and went with the 6 (mid size). You have to remember that you will probably want to sleep with it on as well to do sleep tracking so it needs to be comfortable and if it's too big the sensors (e.g.: Heart Rate) might not be accurate.