Hot Deals

[MEC] Light & Motion Urban 350 lumens front bicycle light (rated best on wirecutter): 43$

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2017 6:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1586 posts
418 upvotes
TO

[MEC] Light & Motion Urban 350 lumens front bicycle light (rated best on wirecutter): 43$

MEC has the light and motion urban 350 light for 43$.

With dark coming earlier and earlier, this discount is perfectly timed. The light is so bright that it is also useful during the day.

Riding without light is a deathwish, and against the law. Do yourself a favor and pick this award winning light up so you can see and be seen in all conditions. I know I love mine.

You can pair it with the 50$ Cygolite hotshot 100 lumens rear light to be 100% safe and visible, and get free shipping.

In depth review and comparison FWIW: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ke-lights/

For those not aware: you need a 5$ lifetime membership to buy from MEC. It's well worth it and their return policies are very generous.
Last edited by TheWalrus on Nov 23rd, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1511 posts
650 upvotes
Toronto
Both of these lights seem to use non-replaceable batteries (usb charging only). Meaning (if you bike regularly) you'll end up throwing these lights out in a year or two. Really disappointed with thewirecutter on this one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1586 posts
418 upvotes
TO
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 10:40 pm
Both of these lights seem to use non-replaceable batteries (usb charging only). Meaning (if you bike regularly) you'll end up throwing these lights out in a year or two. Really disappointed with thewirecutter on this one.
You're right, the batteries are non replaceable. I don't know many lights that have replaceable batteries though. It's probably easier and cheaper to make non replaceable rechargeable batteries because they don't need to be packaged as well, and the connectors can be simpler too.

Do you know of any good bike lights that have user replaceable batteries?

Edit: it seems the light and motion is using a standard 3.6v li-ion cell. You can buy these easily and transfer the circuit board over to the new cell, it seems fairly straightforward.
Wins
Aug 9, 2016
70 posts
33 upvotes
I have a cygolite dash 350 and a cygolite hotrod as a taillight and I'm more visible at night than 99% of the other cyclists. For people who actually ride at night, get a decent light and not cheap out with one of those $10 lights that you get on Sportchek. I haven't used this particular light but for the price I would take it if you're using a crappy light at the moment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1586 posts
418 upvotes
TO
You really should have a bright light running even during daytime.
Last edited by TheWalrus on Nov 28th, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wins
Dec 7, 2014
25 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Please point your headlight at the ground in front of you not straight out blinding oncoming cyclists.
Sorry, it's my cycle commuting pet peeve.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6827 posts
998 upvotes
Aren't most bikers environmentalists ?? How is throw a light out every two years fit into that ??
TheWalrus wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 10:49 pm
You're right, the batteries are non replaceable. I don't know many lights that have replaceable batteries though. It's probably easier and cheaper to make non replaceable rechargeable batteries because they don't need to be packaged as well, and the connectors can be simpler too.

Do you know of any good bike lights that have user replaceable batteries?

Edit: it seems the light and motion is using a standard 3.6v li-ion cell. You can buy these easily and transfer the circuit board over to the new cell, it seems fairly straightforward.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1586 posts
418 upvotes
TO
They don't really compare... One is a quality light for which the output has been measured using the FL1 standardized method, the other one is a Chinese no name light. But by all means, if buying the Amazon one means you'll have lights on your bike VS not buying the mec one and riding without lights, it's still a win and you should get lights.
Wins
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1427 posts
655 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 10:40 pm
Really disappointed with thewirecutter on this one.
fairly recently thewirecutter has been accused of being pay-for-review. Not sure if the allegations are true or not, but they are out there. I used to swear by the wirecutter, but I now take everything I read there with a grain of salt
Feb 4, 2017
49 posts
20 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:23 am
Aren't most bikers environmentalists ?? How is throw a light out every two years fit into that ??
No. I'm definitely not an environmentalist but I bike quite a bit. Saves money on gas committing to work, gets me a bit of exercise, and allows me to have a few drinks when I go out to the bars and not have to walk home.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10740 posts
1747 upvotes
Ottawa
hdom wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 1:23 am
Aren't most bikers environmentalists ??
Most of my friend bikers aren't environmentalists. They just like the exercise, fun of riding, and the gadget factor.

I do hate the trend of non-user replaceable batteries. Thanks Apple.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1586 posts
418 upvotes
TO
You can replace the battery in these apparently, but it's not meant to. You have to pop the ring in front of the light (the one around the lens, on the lense's side, then you can get the reflector out, then the aluminium body slides out, then you have access to the inside. It's a standard 18650 type Li cell (which you can get from busted laptop batteries, from your Tesla, or buy new). Granted, it's not user replaceable per se, but it's not impossible either unlike in a lot of devices.

To prolong the life of the battery, top up the charge every chance you get (deeper discharging damage lithium cells more). Lithium batteries have a 3 years shelf life, no matter how little you used them.

I also believe the manufacturer offers some kind of battery replacement program but I don't know the details.

edit: cf vide below for an overview of replacing the battery, check the end of the video and do the steps in reverse to open it.

Wins