None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2877 posts
266 upvotes

MEC Membership?

Hey everyone,
I want to purchase my first item from MEC online and CS rep asked for a membership ID.

They also said I can borrow from someone so I was wondering if anyone could share their membership with me.
Greatly appreciated!
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4675 posts
1231 upvotes
GTEH!
Lifetime membership is only $5. If you're planning to shop at MEC more often, then just get a membership.
😎
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
2877 posts
266 upvotes
Nope, not planning on shopping there after my one time purchase. There are local outdoor stores near where I live.
PSN: RunOrDie226
add me!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
RunOrDie wrote: Nope, not planning on shopping there after my one time purchase. There are local outdoor stores near where I live.
what do you get out of this membership?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1600 posts
1024 upvotes
Ottawa
Just get the membership. It's only $5 lifetime.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver
RunOrDie wrote: Nope, not planning on shopping there after my one time purchase. There are local outdoor stores near where I live.
Then don't buy from MEC?
Seriously? Post on rfd, arrange meet up at mec store to save $5?
Couldnt you ask the person standing behind you in line?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1338 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
hitman_24 wrote: what do you get out of this membership?
It's a co-op store. It isn't just a 'membership'. You actually own a piece (a very small piece) of it. :-)
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1338 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
importpsycho wrote: Then don't buy from MEC?
Seriously? Post on rfd, arrange meet up at mec store to save $5?
Couldnt you ask the person standing behind you in line?
He said 'online'.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1864 posts
754 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'll let you borrow my membership for $5.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver
csi123 wrote: He said 'online'.
So, he thinks someone will msg him the membership number to him? And he can shop MEC online as many times and as long as he wants since he has the number?

Give me break....
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2802 posts
1720 upvotes
Montreal
You are not suppose to lend your membership to anyone else according to the rep I spoke with.
Aug 25, 2008
66 posts
1 upvote
Trois-Rivieres
I was a a MEC store not too long ago and there was this tourist that wanted to buy a few pieces of clothing an obviously he wasn't a coop member so the CS rep asked me if I'd mind using my member card to help this dude buy a few warm clothes. I happily obliged and after all was said and done for both this gentleman and me, we spent the next hour talking on the sidewalk about his trip to Canada. Glad i cold help him and really enjoyed the conversation afterwards.
Jean-Pierre
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2587 posts
1659 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
RunOrDie wrote: Hey everyone,
I want to purchase my first item from MEC online and CS rep asked for a membership ID.

They also said I can borrow from someone so I was wondering if anyone could share their membership with me.
Greatly appreciated!
It the product is that great, just pay for the bloody membership. It's lifetime for $5 and there could be many unplanned one-time purchases in the future. If the product isn't so great for you to justify buying a membership to purchase it from MEC, just buy it then from one of the local outdoor stores near where you live.

You're welcome. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12698 posts
2004 upvotes
City of Vancouver
This is basically a begging thread, except it isn't 12 pages long because only the OP is begging.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17799 posts
10156 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
You have to decide if the extra $5 cost of joining is worth the savings of lower price and/or unique merchandise at MEC—even if it's just for that one item.

That said you could probably buy the same or similar item for less money from REI in the US. Oh wait... their lifetime membership fee is US$20 (~CA$25)! And then there might be additional duties, taxes and import fees.

P.S. I joined MEC back around 1980. My $5 membership fee has more than paid for itself by way of patronage dividends that I've earned in the ensuing 30+ years.
veni, vidi, Visa