• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2015 1:48 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11413 upvotes
bylo wrote: My $5 membership fee has more than paid for itself by way of patronage dividends that I've earned in the ensuing 30+ years.
Ain't no one got time fo dat.
That said... I might just buy a membership now and take a look to see if there's anything I need.
The irony. OP begging for a membership just sold a membership to someone else.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17924 posts
10317 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: Ain't no one got time fo dat.
Assuming I understand your broken English [what's with that?], a big "Huh?"
MEC wrote:In 2014, we changed our approach to allow us to give share redemptions to more members. We also delivered redemptions by email using our existing gift card system...

2015 SHARE REDEMPTION
The 2015 share redemption returned over $5.4 million to more than 160,000 members. For the 2015 redemption, MEC bought back 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 shares from eligible members. We sent those members gift cards that equalled their share redemption amount...
Note that the minimum dividend is for the value of lifetime membership. Everything else is gravy. RFDers go nuts over other rebate/loyalty programs. Granted this one is different because it's not based on a percentage of purchases, it's not based on points and it's not even guaranteed (because it depends on how well MEC performs as a business.) You may not like how it works. You may find inconvenient. But it's a rebate/loyalty program nonetheless.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11413 upvotes
bylo wrote: Assuming I understand your broken English [what's with that?], a big "Huh?"
I was being facetious.
TL;DR you've been paid back for your $5 membership but it took 30 years.
It probably took less than that but at the end of the day it hasn't costed you anything.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
17924 posts
10317 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
death_hawk wrote: TL;DR you've been paid back for your $5 membership but it took 30 years.
It took a lot less than 30 years. And the payback so far has been a lot more than $5 (even accounting for inflation.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25972 posts
11413 upvotes
bylo wrote: It took a lot less than 30 years. And the payback so far has been a lot more than $5 (even accounting for inflation.)
That was basically my point. Even if it takes 5 years or something it's still not a bad deal.