Automotive

Mechanical Advise 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier (leak, brakes)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2012 9:58 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
The easy way to figure out which fluid you're losing (assuming you're not directly able to watch it) is to check which fluid is low.

The liquid might just be a cracked hose and the the brake issues might just be a sticking shoe. It's definitely worth looking into, the repairs could be pretty cheap.

And yes, cracked hoses and stuck brake shoes are something that will happen to 15yo Civics and Corolas with 250kkm.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Pauly Boy wrote: As someone who was involved heavily in the J-body scene 10+ years ago (don’t ask, I never said it was a good investment of my time or money), Mr. Raider is right – While not the most mechanically sound vehicles, the 3rd gen Crapaliers & Sunflowers should be perfectly serviceable & drivable (like any car) well past 250k. ESPECIALLY if it’s the 2.2L SOHC.
IIRC the ecotec was only offered after 1999. The 98 offered either the 2.4 DOHC in the Z24, or the 2.2 pushrod in the base.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
i6s1 wrote: The easy way to figure out which fluid you're losing (assuming you're not directly able to watch it) is to check which fluid is low.
What I can't remember is if the tranny and power steering fluid have dipsticks or if their sealed.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
By far this thread is outstanding with very good opinions from all RFDers. Thanks for your opinions now to answer some questions. Now looking back yes I should have put a bullet in the Cavalier when the tranny died. It cost me over $1000 to repair. I bought the car for $575 all included and just felt that I was familiar with the car and was better spending $1000 on it than to buy another car with $1000 and not know or have a feel for it. Insurance I only pay $66 a month and that includes no fault accident.

My car is a 2.2 but dont know what an Ecotec is. It also has a dipstick for tanny and thats how a yr ago I ruined the tranny as there was no fluid in the tranny and I was driving which caused my tranny to die.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
One thing to watch out for is the k-frame member. Before investing money in the car, I would make sure it is ok. The part from a scrap yard is cheap but labour is not. A rotten k-frame is dangerous.

As for the power steering, there is a little dipstick under the cap. Make sure you have some fluid or you could be in for a new pump. The leak could also be from the feeder line or the retun line. It could also be the rack.

Another liquid with a similar colour is the dex cool coolant. If you are loosing coolant, it is important you address this issue. A loss of coolant can get expensive if not fixed early (ex: new head gasket).

To others: i500$-1000$ in repairs in a year is worth it. Much better than being stuck with payments. However, with an old car, the stress factor is always present.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
masoud100 wrote: By far this thread is outstanding with very good opinions from all RFDers. Thanks for your opinions now to answer some questions. Now looking back yes I should have put a bullet in the Cavalier when the tranny died. It cost me over $1000 to repair. I bought the car for $575 all included and just felt that I was familiar with the car and was better spending $1000 on it than to buy another car with $1000 and not know or have a feel for it. Insurance I only pay $66 a month and that includes no fault accident.

My car is a 2.2 but dont know what an Ecotec is. It also has a dipstick for tanny and thats how a yr ago I ruined the tranny as there was no fluid in the tranny and I was driving which caused my tranny to die.
Is your tranny the 3 or 4 speed?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
Google taught me Toyota sold the Cavalier in Japan. Wow.

Edit: for smart a$$ below
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
977 upvotes
Mississauga
Poulet wrote: Google teached me Toyota sold the Cavalier in Japan. Wow.
Well it sure didn't teach you grammar lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
Well so far after creating this thread I havent really seen any fluid leak. I took it to my mechanic but when I did it was not leaking at the time so he didnt know what it was.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89001056@N03/

So I kind of pinpointed my problem. Do you see the yellow cap for the oil in the front centre of the hood, well to the right side (looking at the picture angle) there is a black tube between the oil dipstick and battery. That black hose I noticed yesterday had like a hole or something were it was like fussing out liquid/steam while the car was off but noise was coming. What is that black pipe called and is that the problem I am having. My Thermostat also went higher than normal to 77% in the C and H range.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
masoud100 wrote: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89001056@N03/

So I kind of pinpointed my problem. Do you see the yellow cap for the oil in the front centre of the hood, well to the right side (looking at the picture angle) there is a black tube between the oil dipstick and battery. That black hose I noticed yesterday had like a hole or something were it was like fussing out liquid/steam while the car was off but noise was coming. What is that black pipe called and is that the problem I am having. My Thermostat also went higher than normal to 77% in the C and H range.
Upper radiator hose. It connects to your radiator? It's probably attached by hose clamps and easy to remove. Make sure you do it when the engine is cold or you will burn yourself badly. Take it out. Use a different car, take it to a parts shop, tell them you need an upper rad hose for a '98 Cavalier. They'll want to know what engine so you'll need to figure out if you have the 2.2 or the 2.4 or the .5 or whatever. Compare the part they give you with the one in your hands, obviously they should be same but the new one should have just two holes instead of three. Put the new one in your car, top up the coolant reservoir with antifreeze and start it. Watch for leaks and keep the reservoir topped up until the car is hot. Then pat yourself on the back for being an awesome mechanic.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
thanks i6s1 just googled and you are correct its that upper radiator hose. Unfortunately I have no real equipment or anything to do it myself but I got connections with mechanics and he only charges me $40 an hour while others charge me $90-100 an hour just for labour. The part he gets from his supplier or I can get it myself and he will put it. How much does the part usually cost?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
mr_raider wrote: or the 2.2 pushrod in the base.
My bad, with the exception of one other person back then, we all had Z24's with the 2.4L - I had the 2.2 in my head as a SOHC, not an overhead valve pushrod.

BTW – This thread reminds me I have a stack of old parts still sitting in my parents garage. If anyone needs some chrome taillights or other ricey mods, hit me up! rofl
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Pauly Boy wrote: My bad, with the exception of one other person back then, we all had Z24's with the 2.4L - I had the 2.2 in my head as a SOHC, not an overhead valve pushrod.

BTW – This thread reminds me I have a stack of old parts still sitting in my parents garage. If anyone needs some chrome taillights or other ricey mods, hit me up! rofl
I just drove my dads 97 sunfire this weekend. Anyone remember how to deactivate the theftlock on teh Delco radio?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
mr_raider wrote: I just drove my dads 97 sunfire this weekend. Anyone remember how to deactivate the theftlock on teh Delco radio?
At work right now, but I have this in my old bookmarks if you haven't found it by then. It's something along the lines of hold down 2 buttons to get a code, then there was an automated phone # to call in to get a new one.

Edit - Ehow has a write up:

Instructions

Obtain the six-digit dealer code. Contact your local GM dealer. If you explain the situation, most will provide the code to you. If they are not willing to provide the code, contact other GM dealers until you find one that will help you.

Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position, without turning the engine over. Hold the preset buttons "2" and "3" for 10 seconds. The radio will display a three-digit code. Write this number down and then quickly press the "AM/FM" button. Three more digits will be displayed. These six numbers are the serial code for your radio.

Call the GM assistance hotline at 800-537-5140. Follow the prompts and select the brand of your vehicle. Enter the six-digit dealer code and then enter the six-digit radio serial code. The automated system will provide you with a four-digit code to unlock your radio.

With the ignition on, use the "Hour" button on your radio to input the first two numbers of the four-digit code. Use the "Minute" button to input the last two digits. Press "AM/FM" to set the code. The radio is now unlocked and ready for use.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
masoud100 wrote: thanks i6s1 just googled and you are correct its that upper radiator hose. Unfortunately I have no real equipment or anything to do it myself but I got connections with mechanics and he only charges me $40 an hour while others charge me $90-100 an hour just for labour. The part he gets from his supplier or I can get it myself and he will put it. How much does the part usually cost?
It doest take much for tools to change it, usually a screwdriver or a small wrench. But if you'd feel better, it wouldn't take a mechanic long. I dont know how much it costs, but the mechanics cost wont vary much from what you can get.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2184 posts
252 upvotes
Ottawa
i6s1 wrote: It doest take much for tools to change it, usually a screwdriver or a small wrench. But if you'd feel better, it wouldn't take a mechanic long. I dont know how much it costs, but the mechanics cost wont vary much from what you can get.
Well I just went to the mechanic showed him the problem, he just cut the hose from the part that had the hole and put the hose back in place and filled up my coolant for me. Total Cost $10 mainly for the coolant fill up I gave him another $5 for tip
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
That's certainly a cost effective way to fix it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
For the ABS issue, I had a 97 cavalier with around 220-240k and had an issue with my ABS which turned out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor. After fixing the faulty one, another one went within 6 months.

First repair with diagnosis was around 250-275$ if I remember correctly. The abs would sometimes trigger which did the rattle noise of the ABS with me barely braking. Sometimes right after that happened, the tcs light would turn on which disabled the abs.

Just wanted to share in case this was your issue.