Mechanical vs Aerospace engineering in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2014 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 24, 2013
36 posts

Mechanical vs Aerospace engineering in Ontario

Ever since I was a kid, I was always amazed by airplanes. Never wanted to be a pilot but always wanted to work with them. I'm in Grade 11 but I am wondering whether to go into mechanical or aerospace engineering. The reason is that here in the Golden Horseshoe, my options for aerospace are very limited(UofT, Ryerson, York) I do not want to attend RMC, Carleton or University of Windsor. Whereas for mechanical engineering my options include McMaster, Waterloo, University of Western Ontario, Queens and more. There's many threads about this on many sites but I want to know specifically for Ontario. Can I get a job working with commercial airplanes with Bombardier or maybe even Boeing someday with a mechanical engineering degree? I know there are many jobs in the aerospace industry where they hire mechanical engineers and even electrical engineers for avionics etc. but which would be better overall keeping in mind I want to work with planes? I would prefer to go to McMaster or Queens just because its not as competitive as UofT St. George but I would be going into Mechanical engineering which I'm fine with but I don't want it to affect my future.

Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
352 upvotes
Join canadian airforce as aerospace engineer, become cadet officer, let gov pay for your uni. U will also get valuable experience when u graduate. Amd all big aerospace companies like to hire ex airforce guys.
Dec 24, 2013
36 posts
ironbrah wrote: Join canadian airforce as aerospace engineer, become cadet officer, let gov pay for your uni. U will also get valuable experience when u graduate. Amd all big aerospace companies like to hire ex airforce guys.
Yes that is exactly what I've been thinking for the last two years. I strongly want to serve as an engineer in the military for 5 years. I am aware of their paid university program but under no circumstances will I attend RMC. I have read reviews about the quality of the education not being the same and I want to be around normal people at a civilian uni. I know that under some circumstances they will allow people to attend civilian universities and pay for it but I'm not sure they will let me enroll in mechanical and choose to be an aerospace engineer with them.
May 28, 2012
12476 posts
5266 upvotes
Saskatoon
How about getting a mechanical engineering degree and then a master's in aerospace engineering? The mechanical discipline is more versatile and will give you more employment options.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
How's your french? Are you eligible to work in the US?
Depending on where you want to work within the industry, you have to consider this.
Bombardier's the only real airframe maker in Canada and that division is based in Quebec. They partner with a few universities there so you may have to consider that.
You can look at engine companies (e.g. Pratt & Whitney) has a Mississauga office, but that's not always what ppl want.

If you want to work in the US, most of those companies will restrict a lot of work to eligible citizens only due to secrecy laws.

Basically, stop thinking about the school or program. think about the area/company you want to work with and see where they hire and who they hire. Work backwards.
--
There is no happy ending
Jul 24, 2014
16 posts
Toronto, ON
have you looked into Ryerson aerospace engineering (B. Eng)? A Family friend works for Bombardier in Montreal after Ryerson.
His French wasn't good but he's an English/Mandarin speaker.

Another friend of mine went to UofT mech eng and did a master in aerospace there after. Now he works in an aerospace engineering company at Toronto. If I were you, I will contact people working for Toronto-based aerospace engineering company directly through Linkedin or fb.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
do mechanical imo. Leaves more doors open. Not that you are pigeonholed with any eng degree...but aerospace is pretty volatile career path and you want to have most options available to you in the future.
Aug 24, 2014
27 posts
BC
As someone mentioned earlier, doing a Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's first and then doing a Masters in Aerospace Engineering is a better idea. As there are fewer jobs in Aerospace compared to mechanical, it'll be more competitive, so a Masters will work in your favour. And if you ever change your mind, Mech is more versatile.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)