Students

Med Lab tech(MLT) HELP!!!

Aug 6, 2018
11 posts

Med Lab tech(MLT) HELP!!!

Hi! I am a grade 11 student and I need your advice. I made up mind and I am going to take MLT in Uni/College. I don't know if I should go to UofT Scarborough or Centennial, and then go to Michener Institute.

Should I get a Bachelors in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology at UTSC(which takes 4 years) and then apply for MLT program at Michener Institute?
Or
Should I go to Centennial College and do Med Lab Technician program(which takes a year) and then apply for MLT program at Michener Institute?
Or
Should I go straight to UOIT and do MLT?

Thank you!!
Last edited by Tomoka18 on Aug 7th, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7814 posts
8682 upvotes
I would take the shortest / quickest path to whatever it is you think you want to do.

That way, if you decide you don't like it, you didn't already waste 5 years and you can always continue your education later on.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
superfresh89 wrote: I would take the shortest / quickest path to whatever it is you think you want to do.

That way, if you decide you don't like it, you didn't already waste 5 years and you can always continue your education later on.
So do the one year at Centennial? The problem with that is does it increase my chance of getting accepted at Michener if I already have an a diploma of Med Lab Technician at Centennial?
Thank you so much for your reply!
Oct 21, 2014
71 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tomoka18 wrote: So do the one year at Centennial? The problem with that is does it increase my chance of getting accepted at Michener if I already have an a diploma of Med Lab Technician at Centennial?
Thank you so much for your reply!
The MLT program is very competitive. I suggest you apply to all colleges in Ontario, not just Michener. St lawrence, Cambrian college, St Clair and UOIT are all good schools with high CSMLS passing rate. You do not need to go through a technician program.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
woof122 wrote: The MLT program is very competitive. I suggest you apply to all colleges in Ontario, not just Michener. St lawrence, Cambrian college, St Clair and UOIT are all good schools with high CSMLS passing rate. You do not need to go through a technician program.
Oh... I finished almost all my grade 12 courses when I was in grade 11 and my average is 91%. Do you think I have a chance at either UOIT or Michener? Because my family can't afford me to go outside of the GTA. That's why I could only apply at Michener or UOIT, which is not that far away from Toronto.
Apr 11, 2016
111 posts
16 upvotes
Tomoka18 wrote: Oh... I finished almost all my grade 12 courses when I was in grade 11 and my average is 91%. Do you think I have a chance at either UOIT or Michener? Because my family can't afford me to go outside of the GTA. That's why I could only apply at Michener or UOIT, which is not that far away from Toronto.
Not gonna lie - high school students rarely get accepted into the MLT program at Michener. Good luck.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
KPanOpto wrote: Not gonna lie - high school students rarely get accepted into the MLT program at Michener. Good luck.
I have heard that sad news too... How about at UOIT? Do you think I have a chance? Thanks!
Oct 21, 2014
71 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tomoka18 wrote: Oh... I finished almost all my grade 12 courses when I was in grade 11 and my average is 91%. Do you think I have a chance at either UOIT or Michener? Because my family can't afford me to go outside of the GTA. That's why I could only apply at Michener or UOIT, which is not that far away from Toronto.
OSAP will give you 14k per year. You will have to repay 7k out of that 14k due to grants. You can definitely afford to do so on OSAP alone. I did it, and you can too. Job prospects are so great. I was offered a FT job even before I passed my CSMLS. Don't waste another year waiting to get in michener.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
woof122 wrote: OSAP will give you 14k per year. You will have to repay 7k out of that 14k due to grants. You can definitely afford to do so on OSAP alone. I did it, and you can too. Job prospects are so great. I was offered a FT job even before I passed my CSMLS. Don't waste another year waiting to get in michener.
Thank you so much for your help! I am an immigrant so I don't know too much about these things.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
woof122 wrote: OSAP will give you 14k per year. You will have to repay 7k out of that 14k due to grants. You can definitely afford to do so on OSAP alone. I did it, and you can too. Job prospects are so great. I was offered a FT job even before I passed my CSMLS. Don't waste another year waiting to get in michener.
Where did you take your MLT if you don't mind me asking?
Oct 21, 2014
71 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tomoka18 wrote: Where did you take your MLT if you don't mind me asking?
I went to Cambrian college. I am a first gen immigrant as well. Good luck in your studies!
Nov 22, 2013
29 posts
48 upvotes
Hey OP!

With your marks, you should have NO problem getting into St. Lawrence, St. Clair, and / or Cambrian for MLT. However, Michener is a completely different story (and I have absolutely no experience with UOIT) as it is the only school in Ontario that also requires an interview for admission. The other applicants will most likely have an undergraduate degree or something similar and with it comes experience and maturity which will give them an advantage over you during the interview stage. This is one of the main reasons why I believe so few "straight out of high school" applicants make it into the program.

My advice is to apply to ALL of the MLT programs in Ontario and get into any one ASAP. Michener will be your shortest route to becoming a MLT but if you also think a Bachelor's will be helpful to you in the future, then definitely look at UOIT as you will get BOTH a degree and diploma at the cost of an extra year. In the end, as long as you pass the program + the certification exam, where you went to school will have little impact.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
woof122 wrote: I went to Cambrian college. I am a first gen immigrant as well. Good luck in your studies!
Thank you so much!!!
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
hoangvin wrote: Hey OP!

With your marks, you should have NO problem getting into St. Lawrence, St. Clair, and / or Cambrian for MLT. However, Michener is a completely different story (and I have absolutely no experience with UOIT) as it is the only school in Ontario that also requires an interview for admission. The other applicants will most likely have an undergraduate degree or something similar and with it comes experience and maturity which will give them an advantage over you during the interview stage. This is one of the main reasons why I believe so few "straight out of high school" applicants make it into the program.

My advice is to apply to ALL of the MLT programs in Ontario and get into any one ASAP. Michener will be your shortest route to becoming a MLT but if you also think a Bachelor's will be helpful to you in the future, then definitely look at UOIT as you will get BOTH a degree and diploma at the cost of an extra year. In the end, as long as you pass the program + the certification exam, where you went to school will have little impact.
I really appreciate your reply! Thanks!!!
May 30, 2018
5 posts
4 upvotes
From my experience the UOIT cutoff was low 80s. It gets higher every year, but with a 90 average you would easily be accepted.

It worked for me since I wanted both a degree and MLT certification straight out of high school. If you just want to make money and don't intend pursuing further education then a 3 year program would be preferable.
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts
AMLt1517 wrote: From my experience the UOIT cutoff was low 80s. It gets higher every year, but with a 90 average you would easily be accepted.

It worked for me since I wanted both a degree and MLT certification straight out of high school. If you just want to make money and don't intend pursuing further education then a 3 year program would be preferable.
I'm glad to here that. Thanks for the information!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)