• Dec 26th, 2006 8:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1056 posts
111 upvotes

Media Misperception

I just saw a local news story (Edmonton) regarding the "Blowout" boxing day specials at retailers. I laughed. I know most retailers have something on sale, but 10-20% OFF is so far from "Blowout", it's actually (as you all know) pretty pathetic. I wish the media wouldn't feed into the make belief aura around Boxing Day sales. Just a few years ago there were some great deals, online and instore, but after browsing all the online sales and hitting all the major and local shops today, those deals are hard to find (if any really exist anymore). I might just email my local tv news program and inform them that the only true "great" sale is ones that RFDers believe in!!
3 replies
Jul 31, 2004
810 posts
69 upvotes
Vancouver
It's just pathetic. The sales have regular sale prices, worse selection, and painful crowds. What's the point?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2003
1686 posts
22 upvotes
It's just as bad in Toronto and surrounding regions. Really junking boxing day season if you ask me.
REDFLAG MEMBER SINCE 2003!

Make crazy offers...worst I can say is no :) .
Oct 14, 2006
417 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The media just have to air something about Boxing day today. People are expecting it. So, they must choose between: "it sucks" and "it's great (with perfectly chosen testimonials from people waiting hours outside)". Guess which one they'll pick (knowing that media just love sensationalism; because people love it too...).

Oh, btw, it's just as bad in Montreal too. It has been since my first boxing day just before 2000. So many people, so little real deals; you just have to know what you want and hope it's going to be well priced on BD.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)