Computers & Electronics

Media player with USB that plays h.265 files?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 11:30 am
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village

Media player with USB that plays h.265 files?

Looking for a media player for a senior (so it needs to be as easy to use as possible) to use for playing primarily h.265 video files, mp3 audio, .jpg photos, won't be used on the internet or for streaming so Android or wifi aren't necessary, just has to have USB port for a USB memory key and HDMI to connect to their TV. Is there 1 that fits the bill?
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
11 replies
Nov 29, 2007
810 posts
303 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I would suggest setting up a media server box (PC) with plex server.
Use a Roku to access the content.

So the hard "complicated" part would be to setup the pc but once it's done it's done.
The user would only open the tv to the Roku device open plex and browse the mdeia library on the PC.

It's future proof and the PC will be able to read almost anything depending on the specs you have on your PC.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
637 upvotes
BC
Setting up a Media Server on a PC is a cinch compared to the Nvidia Shied. But he's right. The media boxes are too flaky for the uninitiated.
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
martbob wrote: I would suggest setting up a media server box (PC) with plex server.
Use a Roku to access the content.

So the hard "complicated" part would be to setup the pc but once it's done it's done.
The user would only open the tv to the Roku device open plex and browse the mdeia library on the PC.

It's future proof and the PC will be able to read almost anything depending on the specs you have on your PC.
insync44 wrote: Setting up a Media Server on a PC is a cinch compared to the Nvidia Shied. But he's right. The media boxes are too flaky for the uninitiated.
Nope it's easier uses less power. Plex and roku for simple playback is nuts with today's tech
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
Great question..... Looking for something similar to replace aging PIVOS AIOS. Not interested in streaming or wifi this or that. So I don't need anything but a simple plug and play device that will run 2TB USB drives, having component connections too would be a bonus. It is only for elderly non tech savvy folks to watch content I already have in a ton of different file formats, without getting a lot of phone calls.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Any cheap s905x android box, load it with libreelec (kodi) removing android altogether. Plug in the USB let it scan the drive and off they go. Kodi is the OS so they won't have to lauch any apps or do hacks etc.

It's easy to setup and will play everything under the sun all on one box. Plex server plus Roku sounds like your asking for trouble with old seniors.

My parents know to select movies or tv shows from the home screen and they click the title and it just plays.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
JonSnow wrote: Any cheap s905x android box, load it with libreelec (kodi) removing android altogether. Plug in the USB let it scan the drive and off they go. Kodi is the OS so they won't have to lauch any apps or do hacks etc.

It's easy to setup and will play everything under the sun all on one box. Plex server plus Roku sounds like your asking for trouble with old seniors.

My parents know to select movies or tv shows from the home screen and they click the title and it just plays.
Interesting suggestion, they would prefer something like that with a simple remote vs networked or pc, how easy would it be to install libreelec and remove android on an s905x box like this 1?

https://www.amazon.ca/SAMMIX-R95-Androi ... ords=S905x
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2221 posts
1083 upvotes
Saint John
Do cheap Android boxes actually play h.265 well at this point? I've heard of issues with stuttering and other weird playback. Is there a specific reason they need h.265 playback? It's still not very common in "downloaded" media files yet. There are a lot of good, cheap options for h.264 that work reliably.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
637 upvotes
BC
scoper wrote: Interesting suggestion, they would prefer something like that with a simple remote vs networked or pc, how easy would it be to install libreelec and remove android on an s905x box like this 1?

OR you could purchase the superior Minix U1 and dual boot. I got one from Amazon, on sale, for $100 (no taxes). Its reliable and far superior to the Shield and Mi (which I also have) at playing attached HD, which is all I need. Wasted a load of cash for two, to me, paperweights.
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
scoper wrote: Interesting suggestion, they would prefer something like that with a simple remote vs networked or pc, how easy would it be to install libreelec and remove android on an s905x box like this 1?

yes that box will work, however i will recommend a paying extra for a 2GB ram box. See below thread to make a informed purchase for a s905 box, I also want to point out the minux U1 uses the same hardware as any cheap android box but its not as costly. Its a great device if you want android but if your replacing with Kodi why pay extra?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2584602

I would also like to point out you can boot libreelec from a sd card to test/boot functionality, that way you can return to amazon if it does not work. If it works properly then flash libreelec to the internal storage or just continue to boot from an sd card. Either way its a few steps to setup, but then it just works and you never have to worry about a media player.
Last edited by JonSnow on Jul 16th, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
birthdaymonkey wrote: Do cheap Android boxes actually play h.265 well at this point? I've heard of issues with stuttering and other weird playback. Is there a specific reason they need h.265 playback? It's still not very common in "downloaded" media files yet. There are a lot of good, cheap options for h.264 that work reliably.
Any s905x box can play 4K HDR in hardware and h265 is no trouble at all, don't expect the same with a rockchip android box.
Jan 18, 2017
824 posts
421 upvotes
JonSnow wrote: yes that box will work, however i will recommend a paying extra for a 2GB ram box. See below thread to make a informed purchase for a s905 box, I also want to point out the minux U1 uses the same hardware as any cheap android box but its not as costly. Its a great device if you want android but if your replacing with Kodi why pay extra?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2584602

I would also like to point out you can boot libreelec from a sd card to test/boot functionality, that way you can return to amazon if it does not work. If it works properly then flash libreelec to the internal storage or just continue to boot from an sd card. Either way its a few steps to setup, but then it just works and you never have to worry about a media player.
Bumping this thread instead of starting my own. I'm looking at a cheap S905 box for hardware HEVC decoding. I quickly glanced at those two threads but it's difficult to what I'm looking for - a cheap solution that will simply do Kodi/LibreElec (to replace Android). Any particular hardware suggestions for this? Thanks,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)